SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I know I know - have read graphs of those turbos etc, but the results r so similar and also some pple r getting diff results, so its a confusing matter to choose - would rather ask the experts :teehee:

Agree that hitting 4k on traffic to get boost makes u look like a wanker, so out of those three turbos above, Im still confused which is the smaller one - am looking for min or at least 280rwkw and very possible 300rwkw..

280kw is the max I would aim for on 98 with a 2.5L to retain some sort of response, I personally think his 250-260kw turbos would be much more fun around town and would feel a lot faster. Only if you are tracking the car regularly would I aim much over this, or run it on E85 and make 280kw with the 260kw turbos.

Response wise I see a lot of dyno graphs of these turbos making 80rwkw at 3000rpms so Im takin that as my base reference point in picking a turbo..

You would not notice the difference between the SS2 at 3000rpm and the SS1 at 3000rpm. Neither of them are at full boost yet. I wouldn't pick a turbo by it's off-boost drive-ability. You have a turbocharged car, you want to go fast then you want to be on boost. So if you're worried about going faster at low rpm, pick a turbo that has it's power band lower down. Worrying about 3 or 4kw off boost is silly.

My opinion anyway.

Response wise I see a lot of dyno graphs of these turbos making 80rwkw at 3000rpms so Im takin that as my base reference point in picking a turbo..

Naa you really want to look at what it makes at 4000rpms. if that turbo makes 200rwkws or above on 98 fuel then that is a super responsive turbo. my ss2's making around 190rwkws by 4000rpms and thats very good for the street. I'm wondering what the SS1PU feels like as they are making 210rwkws by 4000rpms.

This turbo pulled pretty hard and maintained the pull from start to end, don't need to WOT for the power to come in, I can baby throttle on cruise and the power's always there. For a street performance level of turbo thats the one to go for.

How ever on tracks when I'm WOT 90% of the time my bigger ATR45 (3540 equivalent) pulled lot harder WOT in 3rd and 4th. But can't get that in to power band on road, drove like a na. On the end of the day it sorta depending on what the car's used for.

Ok so now I will be looking for 80rwkw @3000rpms and 200rwkws @4000rpms - this is the powerband for 'pretty spirited street diving' for most I guess, - plus the top end should make at least 280rwkws and very possible 300rwkws.. 250-260rwkws seems too low for me, I currently have 188rwkws and 545Nm, goes hard ok but yeah its nowhere near enough..pinch.gif

280kw is the max I would aim for on 98 with a 2.5L to retain some sort of response, I personally think his 250-260kw turbos would be much more fun around town and would feel a lot faster.

Did you see kwickr33's result? Full boost at 3600rpm and 300rwkw, thats similar to HKS 2835 Pro S response but with an extra 20-30rwkw!

Thats what I am saying I think this SS2 result is breaking new ground!

Naa you really want to look at what it makes at 4000rpms. if that turbo makes 200rwkws or above on 98 fuel then that is a super responsive turbo. my ss2's making around 190rwkws by 4000rpms and thats very good for the street. I'm wondering what the SS1PU feels like as they are making 210rwkws by 4000rpms.

To be honest even 4,000rpm at full throttle is not something you will see regularly on the street. Personally, I would be under 50% throttle under 3500rpm most of the time, then when I do want to go I would use WOT and redline.

The SS1 has full boost ~3200rpm so boost and power is always there when you need it, but yes in the higher gears you will loose the rush. I am using E85 so its still quite good up top, but an SS2 would kill it up top.

SS1/SS1PU for a pure street car that you want to respond very quickly and SS2 for an excellent all round turbo with great response, mid and top end.

Stao, I think you have met the needs of 90% of bolt on rb25 turbos. Well Done! To me the 300rwkw mark with 3600-3800rpm full boost was the missing link and the turbo I would choose.

Did you see kwickr33's result? Full boost at 3600rpm and 300rwkw, thats similar to a HKS 2835 Pro S and everyone raves about their response.

Thats what I am saying I think this SS2 result is breaking new ground!

I can now speak from experience, the 2835 pro s is the shizzle :) they tend to reach full boost before 3600 though. Mine is around 3200 odd.

And IMO 280kw really is plenty, it make for a VERY quick street car.

Shouldve kept yours Harey ;)

I can now speak from experience, the 2835 pro s is the shizzle :) they tend to reach full boost before 3600 though. Mine is around 3200 odd.

And IMO 280kw really is plenty, it make for a VERY quick street car.

Shouldve kept yours Harey ;)

So have you been in an SS2 to compare?

Nah no chance a HKS 2835 Pro S is 3200rpm full boost. The best I have seen is 3500rpm.

My SS1 makes full boost by 3200rpm and makes 280rwkw on E85 :) The 2835 Pro S was going to cost me a packet to get setup, this cost me bugger all, has standard turbo response and as you said plenty of power for the street, I love it.

Pretty hard to argue with the overall value of a hypergear turbo.

Not to mention one of the key results on this forum of the 2835 Pro S is using a dyno with a friendly correction factor as shown by my tuner. Which I think is just so wrong, I dont care if you are big noting yourself but your impacting other people and what they spend their hard earned on.

Whoah easy Harey I wasn't trying to big note myself at all mate, It was just friendly banter I meant no offense. I have gone from a HG (admittedly an older highflow) and I agree they ate great bang for buck.

Stao is doing some great things with his turbos and I'm in no way bagging them, the point I was actually trying to make is (as I said) IMO only 280 killer wasps is plenty for an unopened street 25 that's all.

FWIW I already owned my 2835 before stao was getting his ss1/2's properly up and running and if I hadn't already purchased mine I most probably would have got one myself.

The only thing I was correcting you on, and I still respectfully think you are incorrect is that the 2835 does hit full song quicker than 3600rpm.

No need to be so quick on the attack man, I'm not out to cause a bloody argument, and I have no doubt you know more about dyno corrections etc etc than me. It was just an observation.

Who gives a shit where they hit full boost 3200rpm, 3400rpm, 3600rpm, 3800rpm??

Surely it is what the engine does with the airflow at any given rpm point that counts. When we are seeing dyno charts with turbos with a decent early ramp up in power, making 180-200rwkw at 4000rpm and capable of 280rwkw +/-20kw we have a fast streetable turbo. Whether it makes 260rwkw or 300rwkw really is just a question of blondes, brunettes (or redheads) on the street.

IMO they are all good shit.

Jeebuz Christ, Sorry guys I really didnt mean anything at all by the comment.

Dunno whats going on with this place lately. The only reason I read this thread all the time is that Im very interested in Staos results. Very rarely do I post and when I do.......WHACK!

Ah well lesson learned, dont have an opinion on an internet forum LOL

No man, you are right. the 2835 is a smaller turbo compare to the ss2 so it should have bit better response, plus you've got cam gears, inlet manifold and etc that would encourage response. The ss1pu is more to contrast to the 2835 in its hp range.

Edited by GeorgesR34

Jeebuz Christ, Sorry guys I really didnt mean anything at all by the comment.

Dunno whats going on with this place lately. The only reason I read this thread all the time is that Im very interested in Staos results. Very rarely do I post and when I do.......WHACK!

Ah well lesson learned, dont have an opinion on an internet forum LOL

I think the lesson is dont expect anyone else to have an opinion on the internet haha

I wasnt having a go at you, I was just presenting another side. You were saying the 2835 Pro S is the shizzle, while I think it is an excellent turbo I am saying there are other turbo options. And being in a Hypergear thread that should be expected :)

Who gives a shit where they hit full boost 3200rpm, 3400rpm, 3600rpm, 3800rpm??

Surely it is what the engine does with the airflow at any given rpm point that counts. When we are seeing dyno charts with turbos with a decent early ramp up in power, making 180-200rwkw at 4000rpm and capable of 280rwkw +/-20kw we have a fast streetable turbo. Whether it makes 260rwkw or 300rwkw really is just a question of blondes, brunettes (or redheads) on the street.

IMO they are all good shit.

This is a thread specific to comparing turbochargers. If we dont care what the turbos do then whats the point of this thread!

Big difference between 260 and 300rwkw!

Full boost still does give you an idea of what the turbo is doing. To me the dyno result at 4000rpm is not the main key factor to a fun car on the street. You can have 200rwkw at 4000rpm but when you go to change lanes or accelerate from low speeds, waiting till 4000rpm to get going is too late imo. It still is a factor, but whats happening at 3000rpm and 3500rpm are very important too.

Of course there are other options Harey, and HG has proven time and time again to be better value than most turbos out there. I do think 2835 is the shizzle, because I have had it running in the car for a whole of 5 days so im like a kid in a candy store at the moment.

But i will be the first to admit that it comes with a hefty price tag.

Can we all just have a big cuddle now and make up. :blush:

This is a thread specific to comparing turbochargers. If we dont care what the turbos do then whats the point of this thread!

Big difference between 260 and 300rwkw!

Full boost still does give you an idea of what the turbo is doing. To me the dyno result at 4000rpm is not the main key factor to a fun car on the street. You can have 200rwkw at 4000rpm but when you go to change lanes or accelerate from low speeds, waiting till 4000rpm to get going is too late imo. It still is a factor, but whats happening at 3000rpm and 3500rpm are very important too.

Did you intentionally misread my post?