SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I just wish all these turbos would do a run down the 1/4 mile before being pulled out again..

All these paper only results but no times is getting tedious and boring...

I do 0 - 100 in very low 5's with low boost, no launch, granny start(slow take off then floor it). I can probably get into very low 4's with high boost and a launch. Probably wont ever take my car to the track. Hypergear, though, is more like Garret. They develop and test turbos. Its too expensive and time consuming to have to take every turbo you build down to the tracks, get a run etc. Take it to a tuner, get the turbo fitted, dyno'd, street ran, then off it comes for a new one. Wait for customers to give the feedback on lap and track times.

Have a feel under where the rail bolts on. Or use a little mirror to see if the black spacer is there.

Wolverine, hahaha, took 3 of us to find that little sucker, that was an injector o ring. I swear it was sucking the blood out of my leg and then just dropped off under the car after we had been searching for a few minutes

Mine didn't have spacers???

Just checked my rail, no spacers there! Looks like it was bolted right down too f**king dodgy shit. Should I remove the bolt and fit the spacers? Or just leave it. Wow I pay these guys so much for a half ass job.

Ok I run a older model designed for 240rwkw. This has quite bad heat issues on my track car runs 18.5 then spirals down to 11 and only makes 214 comes on hard bye about 5 u can feel power dying off. After acouple hard laps it comes down on power quite a bit and housing gets that lovely colour . Looking to upgrade either a better jfk or kando.

You'll never know what you want becvause Stao will just keep making better and better turbos.

Mine is quite out of date now even with the FNT upgrade.

Just pick one and run with it :)

when the time comes i will pounce on the best thing available but im still finishing my build. by the time im ready Stao will prob have another 6 models :thumbsup:

I just wish all these turbos would do a run down the 1/4 mile before being pulled out again..

Too many variables to be worth while, all it will confirm is the hp via trap times.

Too many variables to be worth while, all it will confirm is the hp via trap times.

see:

This.

400m time doesn't necessarily show how a turbo performs, like Rolls said - too many variables. For all you know the car could be running anitlag and flat shifting through gears, which would give a VERY skewed result

Ok I run a older model designed for 240rwkw. This has quite bad heat issues on my track car runs 18.5 then spirals down to 11 and only makes 214 comes on hard bye about 5 u can feel power dying off. After acouple hard laps it comes down on power quite a bit and housing gets that lovely colour .

Ok, Lets talk about heat:

Turbo mentioned above was an old Rb25det 21U high flow unit. The heat issue is related to the size of the factory rear housing. There is very little can be done to it unless using a .82 PU rear housing. You can track that all day without losing power or torque.

How ever high flowing a turbo is very different to building a brand new turbo there are certain behaviors that can not be changed unless the part gets remade. PU option is available depending on the purpose of high flowing.

21U and OP6 high flow options has been updated in Jun 09 and Jan 11. The later profiles produces more power with better response.

I’m quite skeptical about heat. One thing that I dyno trail is going through consecutive dyno runs. All the new turbos came up with very close No.s on all runs. Like the SS1PU, SS2 and G3 all came up within 5kws difference out of 10 runs, and none of them had colour change by the end of the trail.

There are certain prototypes which do gets hot after few runs, turbine housing colour changes, and we had to keep on taking out timing to stop it detonate. They were used getting behavioral data of the combination and a starting point of on a newer turbo. Those prototypes are not sold to the public.

Other thing I've mentioned earlier that I will mention again is the intake and exhaust restrictions. Heat will be generated when the turbo has trouble sucking or dispatching air. When this happens turbine shaft speeds down trapping hot air inside combustion chamber. Having a free flow setup is critical to any high performance setup.

Also we can make any SS series with dual gate setup on request. External gate provides very stayable boost control as well as keeping the EGT low.

Run Ext gate on tracks and int gate on road.

atr43ss2extgate.JPG

Ok in saying this I'm in no way fussing the turbo I'm happy with it but I have done everything to remove restrictions exaust and intake the only major thing was the 7 psi boost drop

I have heat issues with my stock turbo, this is the main reason I am upgrading. I ordered an SS1PU and Stao mentioned that this model runs cool, will deliver consistent power and is one of the best models in terms of not overheating.

I will definitely be testing this out once fitted since I use the car for track/twisties use where its important that the intake temps stay safe and the turbo doesnt get too hot.

I actually think it would flow fine, the entry of the turbo is angled anyway, on the graph you could see it held boost perfectly, other turbos with this setup hold fine as well.. so there is no benefit changing it

see:

This.

400m time doesn't necessarily show how a turbo performs, like Rolls said - too many variables. For all you know the car could be running anitlag and flat shifting through gears, which would give a VERY skewed result

Ok reading my post back to myself , to call it boring was wrong and a misrepresentation of your work as this is obviously one of the most interesting tech threads here so I apologize for that..

But are you guys trying to tell me it wouldnt be interesting if once a month he took the car down for a couple of quik runs..Because I was always under the impression that power on a dyno isnt always the best representation of how fast a car can be on the road..sure there are variables but if the car was driven, maybe with some incar footage even, by the same person AKA ' The Stig ' in the same manor the only real variable would be the weather..

anyway I just think it would be cool to see :D

Yes ARTZ, i've mentioned this numerous times in this thread but noone was able to put down 1/4 mile times to show how really awesome these turbos are, which is a shame really. just seems like all the ppl who get these turbos just want a decent power figure and dyno print out to post up.

Yes ARTZ, i've mentioned this numerous times in this thread but noone was able to put down 1/4 mile times to show how really awesome these turbos are, which is a shame really. just seems like all the ppl who get these turbos just want a decent power figure and dyno print out to post up.

Here's one doing 10.7 secs in a 1JZ.

Edited by kwickr33