SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Yes can be done, how ever big external gates are more effective when working with big turbo in small turbine housings. The SS2 and SS1PU versions has welly matched wheel size and housings. It might not make much difference in that setup.

I got the TFI filter for $10 inside discounted tray at Autobarn. lol. Its a 4inch filter with 2 set of sleeves. Worked fine, didn't had any restrictions at all.

I wouldn't go with external for power gain(and definitely not if there was power loss), its just for the option to run a screamer lol. I would love to hear your car with this thing going off atmo. Nice big boost, should sound tuff and loud.

Ill head there soon lol, always find nice stuff in those bins. f**king overpriced apexi shit.

its a pity here isnt a side mount manifold in this price range with ex gate attahcment so we didnt have to chop housings..in fact all the side mount mafifolds Ive seen dont have one...

There is a garrett gt30 style housing on ebay that has a cast in flange for a 40mm gate for around 400..

its a pity here isnt a side mount manifold in this price range with ex gate attahcment so we didnt have to chop housings..in fact all the side mount mafifolds Ive seen dont have one...

There is a garrett gt30 style housing on ebay that has a cast in flange for a 40mm gate for around 400..

That housing wouldnt be the best thing for flow i guess, but itd work.

However, I definitely rekon itd be a piece of piss to hang the gate off one of those tubular jobs. Might be worth doing.

Infact if I decide to go back to a TD based turbo on my SR im going to do exactly that with one of those cheap tubulars.

Hi Stao,

Do they PU models use a highflowed standard housing or a custom one which you supply?

You mentioned cooking intercoolers being an issue with the previous generation PU models - im worried that pushing a smallish (high flow) turbo such as these is risky for the motor due to the intake temps and therefore pinging during hard use, what is your opinion?

Hi Stao,

Do they PU models use a highflowed standard housing or a custom one which you supply?

You mentioned cooking intercoolers being an issue with the previous generation PU models - im worried that pushing a smallish (high flow) turbo such as these is risky for the motor due to the intake temps and therefore pinging during hard use, what is your opinion?

this is exactly my thought aswell.

How well do these new SS versions cope with heat due to the new compressor housings/wheels etc??

Ss1.5 made 259 kw 19psi. This was pushing the knock threshhold of the motor too. Left it nice and fat at 11.5afr.

Very torquey to drive. Clutch wont last long thats for sure.

Had 2 small hits of det whilst tuning high boost in the top end with fairly conservative timing compared to others. But made more than Sargerx8's ss2 for restriction reasons.

Max knock seen on the road after tuning was 12 with a 1st to 3rd flog

I know there is no problem with pushing a turbo at the edge of its efficiency for normal street driving where you might give it full throttle through a couple of gears at a time and back off but im more talking about when things heat up ie. sustained heavy load/full boost, track use etc.

Its not really a smallish turbo. Its about how the compressed air is dispatched. The only units that did have the old comp housing profile is that Sample unit, Every one whom bought later samples (after 2nd Aug 2011) or brand new SS1PU units has the updated housing profile, So no need to panic about it.

Ok lets talk abit into it. Based on the old SS1PU sample’s dyno reading:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

I'm very sure using the 15psi actuator and boost controller the red curve represents the exact curve of the 259rwkws you've tuned. So realistically the peak power was reached at roughly 15psi. I'm a bit concert using the high pressure actuator as the peak boost might be too much for a stock engine to handle.

Compare to current SS1PU’s dyno reading:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Notice I’ve made more power on less boost, This is by the changing of compressor profile that allows compressed air to be “dispatched” faster resulting in lower dispatching temperature. Final results was very consistent as we did about 10 runs and every single run at that boost level was above 280rwkws, while the cooler stayed just little warm. Also the boost level that I'm running on is ok for a stock Rb25det engine.

The older sample SS1PU was not as consistent as the first run with cooler cold it made 291rwkws as the discharging temp increases the average power dropped to about 270rwkws after 10 consecutive runs. The cooler was literally hot to rest my hand on.

That's real life R&D, I only have a feel that some of the drawnings "might" work out better then others, how ever I can't prodict final results till its been individually evaluated.

Any way, DVS, I'm happy to update the comp housing profile for your customer if he can send his housing in for a day.

Tao,

Great work the latest SS1PU looks fantastic, torque from 3500rpm and 280rwkw on 98, well done!

The SS3 development is interesting too. Have you tried the SS1PU on the aftermarket exhaust manifold yet? Would be interesting to see the difference it makes.

SargeRX8,

Using an external wastegate is better at controlling boost and normally sees power gains due to removing heat etc. I cannot see how an external wastegate can loose power over internal.

Why are you blaming the Apexi pod filter? I run one with no issues, so do many others on this forum. Fix up your intake pipe to 3" metal with as little bends as possible. I tried reading what you have done and I cant understand what your saying. The intake pipe is vital to making power. Do not use any part of the standard intake piping.

Tao,

Great work the latest SS1PU looks fantastic, torque from 3500rpm and 280rwkw on 98, well done!

The SS3 development is interesting too. Have you tried the SS1PU on the aftermarket exhaust manifold yet? Would be interesting to see the difference it makes.

SargeRX8,

Using an external wastegate is better at controlling boost and normally sees power gains due to removing heat etc. I cannot see how an external wastegate can loose power over internal.

Why are you blaming the Apexi pod filter? I run one with no issues, so do many others on this forum. Fix up your intake pipe to 3" metal with as little bends as possible. I tried reading what you have done and I cant understand what your saying. The intake pipe is vital to making power. Do not use any part of the standard intake piping.

I changed my intake pipe yesterday, it is full metal, one bend. My apexi was not seeking perfectly flush against my z32, you could fit a piece of paper in the gap, maybe more and thus dirt got into the intake and damaged my turbo wheel.

I changed my intake pipe yesterday, it is full metal, one bend. My apexi was not seeking perfectly flush against my z32, you could fit a piece of paper in the gap, maybe more and thus dirt got into the intake and damaged my turbo wheel.

Ah that sucks! So its not the filter itself but the fitting to the afm is not the right shape?? Can you send it back and get a refund or another one? Surely thats a manufacturers fault.

is there a gasket between the pod and the afm?

there should be :D