SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Ive noticed on both ignition dumps you have posted are more than the max ignition timing on my car. What is the cause of this? Was my tuner being too safe? Or do you think that there could be such a variation in cars that my car is set to run 42degrees max(I think, this is what PFC shows as my peak ignition when I punch to red line in any gear).

Thats not how it works dude. Its not about peak timing in general but timing at full throttle which will be under 20degree's

so does anyone have any 1/4 mile times with their SS-1 yet?

would like to see how they run down the quarter.

regarding your gtr hiflow post below, how much hp will each turbo be after and what will the equiavalent garrett series turbo be?

if you can hiflow my R34 GTR stockers for $880 ea to either -7 or -9 range id be very interested.

Well, looking forward to see you guys making some thing work Properly with R33 GTSTs in the near future.

Update:

This is for a set of GTR turbos that we've asked to match port their housings and manifolds then do a high flow. We will be using ATR43G1 profiles in those with FNT turbine modifications, They are expected to make some where close to 350awkws at full capacity as a twin on 98 fuel.

Photos in comparison:

Those are photo of stock GTR manifolds:

gtrextmanifolds.jpg

Photo of the pair that we've ported:

manifolds.JPG

Photo of factory turbine housings:

stockturbinehousing2.jpg

Turbine housings we've match ported:

turbinehousing1.JPG

Profiled turbine housing to suit larger turbine wheel:

turbinehousing2.JPG

Machined and enlarged wastegate port:

wastegate.JPG

^^

Above high flows should produce around 320HP each or about 520HP as a twin.

Also I've made a new housing for the SS-2, This housing is using a circular tube exhaust tunnel while the original SS-2 runs a trapezoidal tunnel.

It peeked 286.8rwkws @ 20psi and made 20psi by 3500RPMs.

9 sec dyno ramp, 98 fuel.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Its got a pretty smooth power delivery on road, it made the power very easily and didn't get hot either. The SSPU is touch bit more responsive, while this one had a bit more top end.

The difference in drivability is I could feel the beat of the engine with the SS2 as power and torque unleashes, like a powerful small V8 feel, while the SS1PU just goes WAHAAAA.. and I'm skiting.

But either way both of them are in my favorites.

Peak power was made when turbo bled down to 20ish psi

My turbo peaks boost at 17psi yet makes peak power at 16psi

True but with the way his waste gate controller works if you set it at 20psi it would probably bleed down to 16psi. doesn't really matter though I guess, good result.

The light blue with most of power is with gate controller the rest are not. 25psi peak then bleed to 20psi is about where its "happy". The SS2 in original housing reaches 20psi about 3800RPMs, its not as responsive but made more power. So there is a trade off between power and response.

Also notice the torque curve, of how its very wide spread that makes the strong and hard pull feel towards red line.

By the way this turbo on the test car is for sale with a discount. PM me if you are interested.

This is a hill climb competition footage sent in from one of our customer's S14 using ATR28G3 (268rwkws from memory) in Switzerland. enjoy

SS2 maxed at 320rwkws, the average was 315rwkws. But the power curve was more linear while this one had more mid range.

The Adaptronic ECU have turned up today. I've ordered the E420D basic:

DSC00507.JPG

This ecu comes with a large chunks of looms. It is slightly cheaper.

and the

Plug in RB25det ecu with metal casing.

DSC00505.JPG

DSC00506.JPG

Both of them has built in 4 bar map sensor (no afm yea~), they comes with software, and data cable.

I will be trailing the plugin ecu tomorrow, will post feedbacks and results when done, hopefully every thing goes well.

Ps. Did any one get a error message of:

[#10151] An unknown error occurred

when posting on this thread?

Both of them has built in 4 bar map sensor (no afm yea~)

Why is this a good thing? I never understood everyone's obsessions with MAP sensors, more guessing and less accurate airflow information IMO.

Ps. Did any one get a error message of:

[#10151] An unknown error occurred

when posting on this thread?

Every thread over 100 pages seems to give it.

Edited by Rolls

I think its an excellent thing to get rid of AFM. Map sensor can be accurately tuned, I see how it goes tomorrow.

Had a play with the software it appears that it can run either MAP sensor or AFM.

Why ?

For a start you get rid of a possible restriction in the intake (4" intakes here we come), there are different issues with running the afm in the cooler piping such as getting too much oil in it, this also means people dont have to buy pricey Z32 afms, MAP is less affected by driveability issues like blow off valves.

Most bigger hp cars seem to have MAP ecus.

Z32's are hardly pricey lol, you spend much more by paying for an ECU with MAP sensor capability.

Stao, is getting rid of your AFM not venturing a bit far from the stock setup?

Z32's are hardly pricey lol, you spend much more by paying for an ECU with MAP sensor capability.

Z32 afm retails for $300+. Plus you have the cost of nistune or a PowerFC. A PowerFC alone costs more than one of these ecus. The price of a nistune + z32 afm and you are at the same or more cost as this map ecu.

Speaking from the perspective of keeping everything stock looking in the engine bay. Im with Hanaldo on this one. I really like the idea of the Nistune because it looked like a stock ecu. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to buy 8bit z32 ecu's?. Ontop of that removing the AFM would make it easy to identify a modded car especially with a 4" intake or what not.

Rolls also makes a valid point in the the AFM is a good thing as the ls1 ls2 l98 boys seem to get better fuel usage, drivability & possibly mixtures? however the map tuned ones seem to make slighly more peak power but are heavy on fuel. (This is hearsay so need a tuner to clarify)

It seems like everyday we are moving away from the concept of a stealth street car which is what Stao's new R33 was supposed to be about and moving towards a track car setup that is asking to get pwned on the street!