SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The ATR43SS-1 PU version is installed this morning. I only took it for a test drive based on my old tune. It feels like a huge turbo with babe turbo's response. Its got this really big pull under throttle, I haven't give it much yet, but very new driving experience, will have a interesting result soon.

I'm not sure what the dyno says yet. Feels like a 3540 comes in full boost at 3000rpms. Its got a crazy pull when you give to it. Compare to SS1 it feels like it has pickedup heaps more torque through out rev range with similar sort of response. But once again the tune in it now is for a much larger turbo so not sure what it feels like once its fully tuned. Will post up results.

Add:

Went for a 50kms drive, and its got even more responsive (probably got all the thick stabilizing oil washed away). Heaps of torque and zappy response. The best way describing it taking off would be: like a billet leaving the gun barrel. The car just launches, there is not a bit of flat spot down low or any where in the rev range.

As turbo builder I'm very happy with the way how it delivered power and torque. The drivability and performance worth every hour spent designing and making it.

Whats happening with this Turbo? Still in testing phase or?

Stao seeing as you have access to original garrett parts, have you considered using an OEM 2871 52t CHRA and making a mock GTRS for customers to buy?

You clearly have the ability to turn .64 T28 housings into T3 skyline specific housings and your .60 compressor looks very similar to the T04B found on garrets, maybe you could port shroud this and make one up?

Could become a hot seller.... Save lots of cash on buying HKS, who would say no?

NS111 turbine, .64ar turbine housing, GT35 71mm 52 trim compressor, .60ar compressor cover.

At the kind of cost that would involve, and if we were going to talk hypothetical things we'd like to try... I'd consider a DBB T3/T4E 50-trim CHRA to be a combination almost worth shoving into a bolton solution if .63a/r hot sides, big torque and spool and respectable power are your thing. Some might balk at the idea of going a t3/t4, but ancient Mitsi truck turbos are cool right? ;)

At the kind of cost that would involve, and if we were going to talk hypothetical things we'd like to try... I'd consider a DBB T3/T4E 50-trim CHRA to be a combination almost worth shoving into a bolton solution if .63a/r hot sides, big torque and spool and respectable power are your thing. Some might balk at the idea of going a t3/t4, but ancient Mitsi truck turbos are cool right? ;)

How would that involve some sort of elevated cost? Stao is custom machining wheels from scratch (far more labour intensive than a prefabed CHRA) and his housings are already what I have described..

Same same but different, hell I'd even buy it in a generic CHRA as long as the specs are what ive asked for. GTRS bolton for Garrett T2 price, yes please?

Or maybe your just cranky I sold the 33 ;) Dont worry man, JZ is still in the garage with its nissan specific mounts attached.

Lol funny, no actually I forgot (or didn't know?) that. I was just saying a combo I think may also be interesting with similar cost and effort.

Lol need a catch up I see, I havent been on MSN again coz my landlords turned into a prick. Ill be back online soon and well chat. Have acquired an S14 I had a heavy hand in building many years back.

As for the said recommendation, what about that old tech TR30R we talked about :P Dont you want to see that back into production? Old school rally tech at its best (or is this one in the same)

Stao, get busy!

Stao seeing as you have access to original garrett parts, have you considered using an OEM 2871 52t CHRA and making a mock GTRS for customers to buy?

You clearly have the ability to turn .64 T28 housings into T3 skyline specific housings and your .60 compressor looks very similar to the T04B found on garrets, maybe you could port shroud this and make one up?

Could become a hot seller.... Save lots of cash on buying HKS, who would say no?

I can make them that way if any one wants one, but not really interested in building and selling them as a product as the SS-1 has out performed above in pretty much all accounts.

Here are some results form the ATR43G1 unit. The peak was 232.9rwkws at 18psi. Turbo makes 20psi by 3000RPM. It has dropped to about 14psi up top, that’s because the comp wheel isn’t big enough to keep up with the flow up. That is the behavior of this turbo.

atr43g1233rwkw.jpg

atr43g1233rwkwboost.jpg

On the road it is super fast and responsive. This turbo is good for some one who's looking for 200~230rwkws running on stock injectors and AFM. This turbo should also be excellent on Rb20dets.

Well there you have it. If I had a skyline all over, it would be running the G1. A good tune on stock injectors and afm with a sturdy FPR and pump would be awesome. Budget killer all over!

Thats awesome Stao, thanks for going to the effort to build and test one for us all.

Well there you have it. If I had a skyline all over, it would be running the G1. A good tune on stock injectors and afm with a sturdy FPR and pump would be awesome. Budget killer all over!

Thats awesome Stao, thanks for going to the effort to build and test one for us all.

+1 Well done Tao!!!! Great budget option

Hey Stao, could you super-impose the G1 performance graph in your earlier radar graph with the 4 other turbos, ss1, ss2, G3 and ss1 MU.

Just get yourself a G1 and a $180 buck front n dump piece from JJR.

Ive got my money on it being a winner.. DO IT.

Here's update with the SS1 PU prototype.

My car's came with an ebay cooler which was getting cooked on the dyno. It maxed 291rwkws (was not complete as cooler pipe slipped) when the cooler is cold and average of 270rwkws when the cooler is hot.

I had 2x actuators today, one is 14psi and the other was high pressure that peaked 25psi. No boost controller was used on those runs. This turbo was not equipped with a gate controller.

9 sec ramp:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Its pretty happy on the dyno, made power pretty easily, and very good to drive on road. It makes 220rwkws @ 4000RPMs with the best run and 210rwkws @ 4000 on the average run.

Compare to the previous run it have lost 450RPMs making 20psi by 3350RPMs. But picked up lot more mid range and top end, which is pretty worth it. I'm pretty happy with how it overally performed. I will probably going to give it another run with a better cooler.

So it made 260rwkw on 14-15psi, am i reading it right?

Yes that was correct, and it was very quite on the head phone (detonation detector). The engine and turbo were very happy today.

So it made 260rwkw on 14-15psi, am i reading it right?

yeah this second turbo is great i was not a fan of the ss1 as it was too responsive and rolled off way to much, this has the perfect balance and is doing it with easy, no trickery in the housing re boost control etc... exhaust manifold pressure was nice and low.... THIS WOULD BE MY CHOICE as a bolt on for rb25... it literally is making 260 as easy as pie.... would be a nice 22psi turbo for E85 on a stocker 300+ with killer response.

i dont mean to be a great turbo expert but looking back at post #1980 and comparing that to the new graphs

atr43g3 made peak torque of 843nm @ 4100rpm and 291kw atw peak @ 5500rpm 21psi

ss1 pu made peak torque of 540nm @ 3400rpm -4500rpm?? and 290kw atw peak @ 5500rpm 20psi?

is it worth a little better spool compared to the higher torque?