SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Hypergear what do you think the issue is with your latest 264rwkw turbo? The response is amazing and 260kw is a very good power output but it seems to have a huge hole in the midrange torque, is that the tune? what is up with that, is it because of the boost creep that it seems to get better?

So is an SS2 better than G3 with FNT??? or Billet wheels of the G3 Alfa version???

Prices?? and which is the best response?? I will be happy to get best response and reach 400RWHP..

Both SS2 and G3 are tested on the same platform and the SS2 performed better and it is truly more responsive to drive on road.

The original design goal is some thing has excellent driving ability while still have the max power out put as the G3. It’s also the fist turbo with FNT integration. That worked really well. Apart from focusing on its response and peak power, notice its torque, of how its wide and spread, that is the most important factor in creating excellent driving ability. It did cost more that is due to 4 extra machine hours.

I believe The ATR43SS-2 is the ultimate choice for responsive 400rwhp with the best driving ability.

On the other hand Alfa versions took over a year and thousands of dollars to get all facts right, It is a mascot of advanced engineering. How ever I never indented to sale it. Reason been is it failed to prove much differences in response to traditional bush bearing. The opposing energy slowing down shaft speed is surge pressure. Effect from rolling object is minimum. Plus the cost and time involved making it for us is impossible to market.

Hypergear what do you think the issue is with your latest 264rwkw turbo? The response is amazing and 260kw is a very good power output but it seems to have a huge hole in the midrange torque, is that the tune? what is up with that, is it because of the boost creep that it seems to get better?

I believe the rear housing is too small or the comp wheel is too big, its showing its too hot. How ever the response and how it takes off is amazing, I would like to keep the current turbine setup and trim down the comp wheel size to make it work. I'm also in the process of building a slightly larger turbine housing to suit its current CHRA. That should work out pretty well too.

The SS1 also made 264rwkw and did not have a torque hole in the mid range.

I think the SS1 and SS2 are both fantastic turbos and cover the super responsive 250-260rwkw (SS1) and the 280-300rwkw with good response (SS2) markets.

I think you should focus on doing batches of these to bring the price down and get them out there.

Did the SS1 have the same response though?

I reckon the SS1 had better response in terms of torque and power but the boost response is 1-200rpm better of with this new turbo. The SS1 does not have the midrange hole in torque either.

See my results:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=336318

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=336319

Bear in mind my top end is lower then it should be due to a restriction I am currently diagnosing.

The SS1 also made 264rwkw and did not have a torque hole in the mid range.

I think the SS1 and SS2 are both fantastic turbos and cover the super responsive 250-260rwkw (SS1) and the 280-300rwkw with good response (SS2) markets.

I think you should focus on doing batches of these to bring the price down and get them out there.

this! the ss-2 looks very promising

Ive got a 17psi actuator ready to go back on to the SS2, unless I can find a 15psi one somewhere. Once its all ready, I shall post up the results of the car with more boost.

This current actuator is SHIT HOUSE lol. If anyone is buying a turbo off Tao, GET THE 17 PSI ACTUATOR!!!!!!!! This lower PSI one can't even hold 10psi. The only time I get more than 10psi is if I get.... I don't know, it just happens when it wants to. It always finds a way to taper back down too, it just can't hold. None the less, even on 9psi, Ill be snaking on the road in 2nd off a perfect launch on cool nights.

The SS2 cost me I think $1340 or something. You might think its expensive but seriously, a Garrett alternative(3071 or 76) will cost you about $1700+ Then you need to buy a bunch of other shit to make it fit and get a new dump. Hypergear turbos, bolt on, tune, injectors, intake and away you go.

Ill list my costs on the performance aspects related to the turbo:

Turbo ATR43SS-2: $1340

Injectors Nismo 740cc: $650

Power FC(R33 Rb25DET s2): $1100

GTR Fuel pump: $80

Yellow jacket coils: $290 I think, bought off performance wise.

JJR bellmouth dump(I had one but it was cracked, repairs made more leaks) $190

Genuine Z32: $100

Clutch $380

Tune $800(plus other little jobs)

Intake pipe $30

Silicone stuff: $50 total

Venon 5" body 100cell Cat: $230

$4400.

Garrett counterpart will cost $5k+ with the parts I used above.

Car came with the basics, FMIC, exhaust, boost controller.

You wont regret a hypergear turbo.

Edited by SargeRX8

I reckon the SS1 had better response in terms of torque and power but the boost response is 1-200rpm better of with this new turbo. The SS1 does not have the midrange hole in torque either.

See my results:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=336318

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=336319

Bear in mind my top end is lower then it should be due to a restriction I am currently diagnosing.

er.. Actually your run was done on a 12 sec ramp making a fair comparison with that stock turbo's reading on the same ramp timing.

Mine is based on 9sec ramp. Compare to my original SS1 reading on the same ramp timing the prototype is about 500RPMs more advanced in response as well as torque,making it more responsive then a factory turbo. Come pass and test drive it when you free, totally unique driving experience.

Also it’s interesting that no one have ever ordered an ATR43G1. That is a 2530 equivalent turbo designed to max with stock injectors and AFM. Since its going to take about a week on bits and pieces for the prototype, I'll be building one for my self for a power run, should do 230rwkws with stockish response.

The SS2 cost me I think $1340 or something. You might think its expensive but seriously, a Garrett alternative(3071 or 76) will cost you about $1700+ Then you need to buy a bunch of other shit to make it fit and get a new dump. Hypergear turbos, bolt on, tune, injectors, intake and away you go.turbo

:O. I paid $1450 for a SS-1. I was told $1850 for a SS-2, that's why I went with the SS-1

The SS2 cost me I think $1340 or something. You might think its expensive but seriously, a Garrett alternative(3071 or 76) will cost you about $1700+ Then you need to buy a bunch of other shit to make it fit and get a new dump. Hypergear turbos, bolt on, tune, injectors, intake and away you go.turbo

:O. I paid $1450 for a SS-1. I was told $1850 for a SS-2, that's why I went with the SS-1

SargeRX8 bought the demo SS-2 that was used on Tao's car. Tao will sell normally sell the demo turbos he uses for a cheaper price. He would have given you the brand new prices for a new turbo to be built.

Both Hypergear turbos I have used have been ex demo turbos.

Really keen to see some more SS-2 results on other cars.

Hey Sarge thanks a lot buddy for taking me for a spin in your ride, I appreciate that; your ss2 does make you feel the 'punch-in-the-seat' feeling that I'm after, but I expected it to be much more neck-jarring and brutal which is what I want.. :thumbsup:

Maybe that was because it is limited to 11psi with your current actuator as you said and also because we didn't go above 5000rpms?? Anyways I'm sure it will feel completely different with 18psi.. Thats gona be awesome mate..

er.. Actually your run was done on a 12 sec ramp making a fair comparison with that stock turbo's reading on the same ramp timing.

Mine is based on 9sec ramp. Compare to my original SS1 reading on the same ramp timing the prototype is about 500RPMs more advanced in response as well as torque,making it more responsive then a factory turbo. Come pass and test drive it when you free, totally unique driving experience.

Also it’s interesting that no one have ever ordered an ATR43G1. That is a 2530 equivalent turbo designed to max with stock injectors and AFM. Since its going to take about a week on bits and pieces for the prototype, I'll be building one for my self for a power run, should do 230rwkws with stockish response.

Apologies Tao I missed the ramp time differences.

Having a closer look at this latest turbo, the torque curve could actually be very practical on the street. Instead of the usual hit of peak torque in mid rpm and then tapering off, this turbo makes a solid 400Nm of torque through the midrange and then steps it up again in the higher rpm. This would give a great feel of holding the rush, not to mention giving the tyres some hope of getting traction in the mid rpm (in lower gears)!

+1 for the ATR43G1, ~230rwkw without replacing injectors or AFM is prob the best bang for buck street setup on an RB25. I came from larger engines where response wasnt an issue and fell for the peak power game initially.

Hey Sarge thanks a lot buddy for taking me for a spin in your ride, I appreciate that; your ss2 does make you feel the 'punch-in-the-seat' feeling that I'm after, but I expected it to be much more neck-jarring and brutal which is what I want.. :thumbsup:

Maybe that was because it is limited to 11psi with your current actuator as you said and also because we didn't go above 5000rpms?? Anyways I'm sure it will feel completely different with 18psi.. Thats gona be awesome mate..

Its weird lol, I feel I can go faster if I get into the next gear by 5000 - 6000rpm. I red lined first the other day and you can really feel first gear is not enough to push this turbo once its above 6500rpm so I find it more effective to ram it into 2nd gear at 6krpm and keep the continuous "pull" feeling.

And to note, yes the turbo I bought was the test dummy. Never had issues with it. Shall be organising my tune up with DVS JEZ after my brakes are ready to roll and we shall see how we go on 17psi!

Have to take me for a before and after spin sarge.

Dont worry, Ron is a hard man to please. He like lots of revs. When tuning his car he keeps asking can we make the limiter Higher lol. What a champ.

I have another customer wanting a new turbo for his street gtst. I recommended a hypergear turbo, just got to work out which turbo.

Max 280 ish kw on high boost.

I'd honestly recommend more like 260 in a street car, more power under the curve and much over that is just going to light the tyres up anyway especially at legal speeds.