SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

There are these wonderful inventions called gears... how do you think super chargers work?

Superchargers are big units full of gears driven by a direct drive gear from the engine. All the work is done inside. I think it is much simpler using an electric system rather Supercharge style system... That is what I was getting at with my other post, there would be no room to fit the gear under the bonnet. nissan mach all over again lol.

With the ss-2's Stao. are they for sale to anyone now? or are still being tested? also do they come with this FNT thing in the turbine housing, or is that extra?

I've got the only ss2 at the moment. It has fnt built in. for a rough idea, the turbo creates 243rwkw on about 11 to 12psi, stock motor and regular 98 fuel. No other turbo comes close on this low amount of boost. The turbo is designed for 17psi and that should reap about 270 to 280rwkw. Awesome turbos. My dad drove my car today for the first time since the mods and he came home and was like "your car is shit crazy now... I love it". He still thinks my old r33 sounded better but loved the performance of this car.

Edited by SargeRX8

Superchargers are big units full of gears driven by a direct drive gear from the engine. All the work is done inside. I think it is much simpler using an electric system rather Supercharge style system... That is what I was getting at with my other post, there would be no room to fit the gear under the bonnet. nissan mach all over again lol.

You don't need many gears, all the gearing can be done via the main crank drive pully, a pully on the turbo (hybrid whatever you want to call it now) and another single gear. It will definitely take up more space but not much more than the system stao is proposing, dont forget you now need 2 more batteries and a massive alternator to charge them if you go electric. Mechanical is always preferred (imo) as its mechanical energy > drive opposed to mechanical energy > alternator > electrical energy > battery > motor control circuit > brushes (motor) > mechanical energy

This is a centrifugal super charger which is basically a belt driven turbo, which is what I was suggesting, only with a sprocket and an exhaust wheel as well, as you can see it is no bigger than a turbo, smaller even.

paxton_supercharger.jpg

I've got the only ss2 at the moment. It has fnt built in. for a rough idea, the turbo creates 243rwkw on about 11 to 12psi, stock motor and regular 98 fuel. No other turbo comes close on this low amount of boost. The turbo is designed for 17psi and that should reap about 270 to 280rwkw. Awesome turbos. My dad drove my car today for the first time since the mods and he came home and was like "your car is shit crazy now... I love it". He still thinks my old r33 sounded better but loved the performance of this car.

The bigger the turbo the more power you make on less boost. Stick a T51r on there and it will be making more than 240kw on 12psi. There is nothing magical about these turbos and the power they make on a certain boost level, it is all about the size of the compressor, this isn't to say they aren't a great upgrade for the cost though!

cheers.gif

Stao, you can get a brushless motor from a RC car or helicopter which will do roughly 5000rpm per every volt you give it. 12v = 60,000rpm.

Also, the more load they have on them (brushless motors) the more current they draw and obviously the faster they will spin, so in effect the more air it starts to draw in the harder it will work. There are 10,000rpm per volt motors but they generally dont like more than 8 or 9v input. The rating is known as kV, for example 5000kV.

They are also NO maintenance or drag from the motor itself, so very well suited to your suggested application.

There are stacks of turbos that will make that power on that amount of boost. The reason why a turbo is impressive is if it can deliver X amount of power with great response relative to that power. So 250rwkw is impressive with full boost at 3200rpm, 280rwkw is impressive with full boost at say 3700rpm etc.

Yes I believe your turbo is very impressive but not just because it can make that peak power, it is because it makes that peak power with great response so a fat powerband.

Stao, which one of your turbos 'comes on like a light switch'?? (For R34GTT). Looking for Mitsubishi EVO like response and great power for a 100% street car. I like sharp brutal punchy torque that pushes u hard against the seat at low-mid rpms, dont like turbos that make linear power delivery. I'm aiming for 280rwkw with very hard punchy feel, not smooth and linear, want excellent 'area under the curve' - a low rpm response monster,..

If that were the case however, mine would be better than the SS2 since it made 295kw on 16psi....no?

lol

Do you create this power at one point them fall off or maintain til red line? What turbo do you have?

Stao, which one of your turbos 'comes on like a light switch'?? (For R34GTT). Looking for Mitsubishi EVO like response and great power for a 100% street car. I like sharp brutal punchy torque that pushes u hard against the seat at low-mid rpms, dont like turbos that make linear power delivery. I'm aiming for 280rwkw with very hard punchy feel, not smooth and linear, want excellent 'area under the curve' - a low rpm response monster,..

SS-2 dude, its got what you want.

Or buy an Evo :P

Scott, are you sure about the ss-2? SargeRX8 said a few times in this thread that this turbo has a very linear feel, not brutal/sharp which is what i want.

Get the SS1 turbo like I have. 1st and 2nd gears are brutal and press you hard in the seat from super low rpm. Above 100km/h it moves nicely but definitely looses that rush. Mine has made 240rwkw on 16psi with a restrictive intercooler and exhaust. I have fixed these up and am about to get a tune, hoping for 250 something. Then add some E85 to hopefully get close to 280rwkw. That would match your requirements.

Scott, are you sure about the ss-2? SargeRX8 said a few times in this thread that this turbo has a very linear feel, not brutal/sharp which is what i want.

Do you mean some thing that’s really good for wheel spin and smoke tyres with? like been able to do easily lose traction and wheel spin through out rev rang?

E85 Nooooo ! ! that would need BIG injectors, pump, the whole fuelling system overhauled aye.. plus an E85 tune.. Why are most people running such low boost on these Hypergear turbos and hiflows - like 16-18psi?? Whats stopping you from cranking up to 20psi apart from restrictive cooler and exhaust, hopefully that will make you 280rwkw+??

Yeah when you say 'come on like a light switch', that normally means a large turbo that has a fair bit of lag and then goes from no boost to full boost in a short time frame.

You mean a turbo with lots of low down torque and power to give you a rush in the low/mid rpm. I think the light switch comment is misleading.

No Stao, not wheel spin, I dislike wheelspin, what I need is hard takeoff and sharp kick in the seat, not linear power which u dont feel much...Talk about feelings, lol..

E85 Nooooo ! ! that would need BIG injectors, pump, the whole fuelling system overhauled aye.. plus an E85 tune.. Why are most people running such low boost on these Hypergear turbos and hiflows - like 16-18psi?? Whats stopping you from cranking up to 20psi apart from restrictive cooler and exhaust, hopefully that will make you 280rwkw+??

No the most Tao could make out of this turbo is 264rwkw on 24psi. Its a smaller turbo designed for maximum response. I am hoping to get closer to that on the next tune but dont expect anything higher then that.

If you want a turbo that can make 280rwkw on 98 fuel then you cant have crazy low end torque, well nothing I have seen has that. eg 20psi at 3,200rpm.

By light switch I meant like from no boost to all of a sudden you are punched into your seat hard from low-mid rpms, and no I dont like laggy large turbos, definitely not..looks like the ss1 fits the bill, but want 280rwkw on maybe 18-20psi

Am I missing something?

Why don't you get a resposive 450hp turbo and then use your right foot to control how much power it delivers?

I know this idea is waaay out there and crazy but seriously it actually does work.... :whistling: