SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Probably don't need to, but I wanted a 3inch metal intake pipe and can't afford to have the car off the road. Plus that BOV is top notch, not like those coloured toys you see at local auto stores. for $150 including all the welding work, just too good to refuse.

The mechanic modified those 2x metal pipes connecting stock intake pipe from factory BOV and Breather, so its not in the way of the new intake pipe. The factory BOV is now blocked but still connected while the breather is currently ventilated to atmosphere. The car hunts a tinny bit when the BOV opens, my tuner said it can be touched up once I have my computer installed.

I'm still running the factory air box, and stock heat shield, every thing looks very standard.

Needed to upgrade the BOV as stock BOV must be plumbed back into the intake pipe after the afm as it has a recirculation port that stops the BOV piston been sucked up when the car is on vacuum.

Importance in selection BOV: I've had few China made BOVs that don't work probably including some branded off shelf ones. Some of the springs are too soft, that gets sucked open by vacuum, makes this ciii ciii ciii sound on idel causing engine to hunt, Some of them leaks between the piston and bore, which I call it wrong clearance from manufacturing.

A good BOV needs to have just the right amount of spring tension stopping the piston from sucking up, seals perfectly when shut, and release as much surge pressure as possible when pops. If I can't find a good one at the right price then I make it my self. :miner:

What we did on peter's car is a basic 3inch intake pipe connecting turbo to factory air box. the recirculation pipes needed to be cut short as they are on the way, but can be left bolted at original spot. block off factory BOV and run a BOV in cooler piping. Perferred to have AFM after the BOV but can't do it unless been tuned, any way the idel hunt can be touched up with a tune.

Information on BOV and cooler piping fitment is at:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=261613&view=findpost&p=5190870

Also had few members inquiring custom turbo building that can perform at 300rwkws level with factory response. I did few drawings and made some modifications on wheel shapes and trim plus the FNT angle to the SS-1:

wheel.JPG

ss1billetfront.JPG

ss1front2.JPG

If my drawning works then we should have 270~300rwkws with stock turbo's response and factory driving ability. With every thing bolt on and stock looking of course.

What is wrong with the stock BOV if it is operating as it was from the factory?

Leaks on idle/low boost (this is a good thing imo), isn't too noisy, doesn't look bling and they seem to have no issue working at high power levels.

You must plumb it back after the AFM thats all. Its got a recirculation hole in it, means it will circulating air regardless if the piston opens or shut.

I really hope the prototype works then we will be concentrating in the GenEses development, the principle on that is having a turbo car idle at 1~2 psi based on a 500HP turbo, so people can take off and drive on boost all times. Making "turbo lag" history.

You must plumb it back after the AFM thats all. Its got a recirculation hole in it, means it will circulating air regardless if the piston opens or shut.

I'm confused so the one you are advocating leaks boost all the time? Wouldn't you only want it to leak on idle and vac?

I'm still not sure why you recommend upgrading it over the stock one either?

Just disconnect and block off the recirculation piping (the hard black metal pipe connects from BOV to factory intake pipe) off your stock BOV start the car and you will get what I mean.

You can obviously get it to work with a plumb back hard intake pipe, which the guy's busting to drive it and don't have time for.

Yeah so why replace the stock one? In what regards is the stock BOV not good enough?

I think your missing the point here. Yes the stock BOV has proven itself for high power figures and I personally run one with no issues.

The complexity is when you fit a metal intake pipe you need to plumb a recirculating pipe to the bov. This is not straight forward and the only comment here is that some people cant be bothered. Some people also just like aftermarket stuff if its shiny etc :)

Oh right, sorry I missed that bit. So what is the issue with adapting the stock return to a new intake? Wouldn't it be no more difficult that adapting an aftermarket one?

Oh right, sorry I missed that bit. So what is the issue with adapting the stock return to a new intake? Wouldn't it be no more difficult that adapting an aftermarket one?

Well an aftermarket one you can just run it to vent to atmosphere, so no return piping at all to the new intake.

Well an aftermarket one you can just run it to vent to atmosphere, so no return piping at all to the new intake.

Ah ok, I thought he was planning on plumbing it back. Makes sense now.

That would be from boost controller, I found this boost creep and drop behavior happens to customers with return flow coolers. check hary's result pre and after cooler tests:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page__st__1640__p__5772487#entry5772487

Thats interesting that it is occuring with a blitz return flow intercooler as well! I thought it was just an issue with the particular intercooler I had.

I have read about a guy with a GT3076 and a blitz return flow intercooler making 350rwkw with 25psi and E85. So I thought the blitz return flow intercooler was fine.

I have just installed a nice (but expensive) ARC return flow intercooler, so I guess we will see conclusively whether it is a return flow issue as this is probably the best return flow intercooler out there. Its interesting but since fitting the new intercooler the car feels a lot more responsive and feels stronger everywhere. Havent held out a gear yet to see if boost still drops as I will wait to check it on a dyno first.

I really hope the prototype works then we will be concentrating in the GenEses development, the principle on that is having a turbo car idle at 1~2 psi based on a 500HP turbo, so people can take off and drive on boost all times. Making "turbo lag" history.

:blink:

Wait what?

And then get defected :)

Much safer to run a stock BOV or a single GTR BOV. Both are Vic EPA compliant as they recirc, and attract a lot less attention due to this.

You can get away with Hypergera turbo easily which is awesome (using factory housings). But a BOV will attract a defect more than any other item on the car really as its audible rather than ECU/Injectors which aren't.

A recirc BOV also makes tuning/driveability easier for manual steet cars running MAF based ECU's