SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Hi all,

ok, it's been a long journey, and there have been a few hiccups along the way, but i think we're finally sorted.

I've been a bit of guinea pig for Stao at his high-flows as there wasn't any R34 data around, and there wasn't any OP6 rear housing data around. I can now say that the results are in and i'm happy to let others out there know how everything went.

First turbo we tried as an R33 rear housing, 71mm compressor wheel and the 'G2' profile. Long story short, was VERY responsive (read stock response), but only got about ~220rwkw. Engine/turbo wasn't that happy with the rear housing (being an R33) but the turbo was very punchy. Those specs with an OP6 rear housing, i think would make for a very nice responsive turbo, but i was chasing 250rkw :D

Enter the OP6 rear housing, Hyper Gear's G3 Profile and 76mm compressor wheel. Obviously a trade off in response, but not that much and was able to achieve the 250rwkw. Full boost by around 3600rpm, which i think is very livable after driving around town. The goal was something equivalent to the HKS GTR-S or HKS GT2835Pro S without the MASSIVE price tag, and i think we've come pretty damn close for a $800 turbo.

And finally, the results.... in chart form!!

252rwkw @ 17.4psi - 241rwkw @15.5psi - nice fat, smooth curve

IMG_0311-1.jpg

IMG_0309-1.jpg

The green line is with Z32 AFM, you can see how dead flat it became :) i believe the little dip was due to a touch of pinging, so i "think" it backed off a bit around there. But don't quote me on that :) I don't know much about these things

IMG_0310-1.jpg

And +11ty thanks to STATUS TUNING for doing ALL the work and tuning on the car. I truly cannot recommend these guys enough. They have looked after me unbelievable well, and their attention to detail, pride in their work and quality of their work is beyond excellent. They may be busy (what good workshop isn't) but if you're looking for a performance workshop to take your car too, you will be very hard pressed to find anywhere better than Status.

Also helps that Trent is also generous enough to give some of this very limited time to help a lot of people out in the Forced Induction section for free, so if you get some advice from 'URAS' in your thread, you'd be well off listening to it

So for those not wanting to spend the big dollars on a GTRS etc, i reckon a G3/76mm turbo from HyperGear would be the go. OP6 rear housing, or maybe even buy one of AVO's rear housings... now that would be fun :)

Howdy fella's, now after comparing my dyno plot I'm wondering how URAS got yours to wind up sooo early in the rev range.

post-21501-1250604353_thumb.jpg

now i do know the Tune was a quick RICH tune so i could get it back on the road for a track day the next day.

but saying this i would have not thought this would have affected the spooling speed so much.

The car is a R34GTT with powerFC, Z32 AFM, R34 OP6 G3 highflow and will be retuned with my big injectors.

when I installed the waste gate actuator it was preety damn tight, but should I take it off and slot the mounting holes further?

if SS8_Gohan's was tuned with a Power FC with boost controller kit,would you be able to tell me what you have set the Gain to.

and you wouldnt be interested in showing me the ignition map as well? I have a feeling that the dyno dyno does read lower then other's around but every time it has been tuned by hyperdrive and all ways on the same dyno.

cheers

Chris

Chris You need to slot the actuator bracket and pre-load it about 3mms and you should get about 9psi with no boost controller. You will get a different boost response once you done that. We do that to all the actuator attached RB turbos sent in for high flowing. also if you run a bleed valve with higher boost settings it would also affect alittle bit on response.

hey hey, another boost curve to compare too!!! look at the Stao, very similar boost curves... interesting. So looks like my car/FMIC, etc are ok and that's just the curve of this turbo. Kinda nice to know that actually, thanks urtwhistle :(

I have a Nistune Remap, and a Blitz DSBC Spec-R :)

and an awesome tuner :P

Edited by SS8_Gohan

ah excellant, i'll give the slotting idea a shot. Just so I'm reading you correct Stao. pull the actuator closed then go a futher 3mm?

I'm thinking the response is mainly due to the rich tune and a lack of fine tuning due to the time frame.

but i have to say SS8, yours comes on strong very fast. you don't run any cams do you? mine currently is like flicking a light switch and can only get better from what i can see. it would be interesting to know what sort of timing map Uras uses on the bottom half of the rev range.

so far from what i have seen, i am extremely happy with Stao and the results.

regards

Chris

We normally slot the actuator bracket about 5mms down. Then we can adjust the pre-load. The actuator is a analog valve it opens slowly refer to the amount of boost its getting. So by pre-loading you can get it to start open slightly latter for better response down low.

no cams (yet :P) just full 3" exhaust, just jap FMIC (return flow), blitz high-flow panel filter, z32, nismo 480 injectors (for that tune), blitz dsbc spec r, Status Tuning remap, splitfires, rev210 intake mod, and i think that's about it.

i only have the graph in this thread unfortunately, and i don't if workshops would show timing maps??

Hey guys you may be able to give me some advice on my EBC setup while you are talking about boost curves.

Below is my Dyno on my 33 (G2 profile with standard rear housing .4??)

XOT540.jpg

and a before and after highflow

DynoHighflow090624withold2.jpg

now do you reckon by my boost curve with the little "spike" at the start and then the taper at the end i should be able to tune my profec b spec II a little for a "flatter" line??

I am going to get Staos .63 housing soon so should I just wait till then as ill get a better curve anyway with the new tune??

P.S. sorry to jump in on you guys :P

do you have a built engine dave, if not how is your engine liking being spun to 8400rpm?
And how is the standard ehxaust housing still making power at 8400?

Not built as far as I know and Ive had it since 2000, we are not sure exactly what is done to it as its always made pretty good power even when "stock"

Might have a dodgy Dyno readout???? :P Cams maybe??? but even then I agree its was spun a fair way, I have been told it is very strong and in exceptional condition

Mods are:

98 R33 GTST

Hybrid FMIC

APEXi Super Suction Kit with pod

Custom Air box with CAI(Home Made)

Split Dump and Catco Race Cat

3.5" HKS Cat back Silent High Power exhaust

Exedy 5puk Clutch

Greddy Ex Cam Gear

EMU

Hypergear HighFlow (ATR28 G2 Profile)

Nismo 555 Injectors and Walbro fuel pump

Z32 AFM

Tuned by CRD

EDIT: and Yellow Jacket Coils

If you guys have any opinions Im happy to hear them

i think you will find thats the tractive effort scaling.

Terms like this is the exact reason i get you to do my tuning :rolleyes:

i was thinking, am i blind or just stupid, because i can't for the life of me find an RPM axis - which would be interested to know when full boost hits, etc
on the first graph it has road speed not rpm....

on the second graph whatever it was has been chopped off at the bottom

Isnt the rpm on the right hand side in the second one?

Only road speed in the first one though, cant understand why they do road speed, much easier to understand and get a gauge of lag from rpm, maybe its a V8 thing...

Edited by W0rp3D

Terms like this is the exact reason i get you to do my tuning :rolleyes:

Isnt the rpm on the right hand side in the second one?

Only road speed in the first one though, cant understand why they do road speed, much easier to understand and get a gauge of lag from rpm, maybe its a V8 thing...

"as a baseline assuming manual GTST and 4th gear dyno run

(speed / 28) * 1000 = RPM

so 88KM/h is where your turbo ramps, is around 3142 RPM"

Got this info from paulr33 a while back. Hope it helps SS8_Gohan

May be a stupid question but what does tractive effort scaling mean?

Have I been conned?

Thats one way, an easier way is to reference both the maps together, both have kilowatts on the left at the same intervals but on the right one is psi the other rpm, so if you have a look at the psi map you will see that full boost of 18psi hits at a tad under 168kw, on the rpm map you go to 168kw follow that line to the right and you will see that full boost is at 6000rpm :down:

Edited by W0rp3D

Ok I get ya, So do you know what tractive effort scaling means?

Does that mean they really did rev it to 8000+ or its just the way it displays because it overlays two dyno runs?