SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

thats the cooper washers. I normally run 2mm fat washers then the factory 1mm thin washers. Which don't usually leak. Or you can apply very very very thin layer of silicon glue (last option) on both side of the washers, that also stops leaking.

thats the cooper washers. I normally run 2mm fat washers then the factory 1mm thin washers. Which don't usually leak. Or you can apply very very very thin layer of silicon glue (last option) on both side of the washers, that also stops leaking.

Yeh I was a bit wary of using gasket glue on any turbo parts. So I suppose the only thing to do is to pull it all apart and make sure it is all good :(

RE: AT higher than IT

Yeah what's up with that?

Hey Rolls.

Its due to the dyno room setup. I've seen plenty, I have a couple of my own that are the same. Either way its not an issue in this instance.

As you can probably suspect the air entering the pod was cooler than where the ambient temp reading was taken. Of which is quite possible especially with the fan blaring and the bonnet open.

As the IT increases the DD applies correction to inflate the power reading. IT is low so not an issue.

If IT was 40 odd degree's.. I'd then be calling bogus.

As for 370'ss making around mid 200's - It's well known 1jz's can make mid 200's on their stock 380cc injectors.

Providing the bolt-ons are working together well your going to be able to push ignition timing in to it to make that magical 250-260rwkw on stock injectors.

Have a turbo that's pushing hot air in to the motor and not allowing it to breath, its not going to take the timing and on the same injectors, same duty cycle, same AFR its going to be down on power.

Hope that makes sense.

Hey Rolls.

Its due to the dyno room setup. I've seen plenty, I have a couple of my own that are the same. Either way its not an issue in this instance.

As you can probably suspect the air entering the pod was cooler than where the ambient temp reading was taken. Of which is quite possible especially with the fan blaring and the bonnet open.

As the IT increases the DD applies correction to inflate the power reading. IT is low so not an issue.

If IT was 40 odd degree's.. I'd then be calling bogus.

As for 370'ss making around mid 200's - It's well known 1jz's can make mid 200's on their stock 380cc injectors.

Providing the bolt-ons are working together well your going to be able to push ignition timing in to it to make that magical 250-260rwkw on stock injectors.

Have a turbo that's pushing hot air in to the motor and not allowing it to breath, its not going to take the timing and on the same injectors, same duty cycle, same AFR its going to be down on power.

Hope that makes sense.

220 at most safely though, 260 plain impossible.

Some update:

Have had the engine pulled apart last weekend to find out of what appears like my mechanic didn't secure the gadget pin's retainer probably during the first rebuild, the pin slide out rubbing the block.

pistons.JPG

Leaving a very damaged bore.

damagedblock.JPG

Ethics its a funny thing, this is a licensed mechanic that I've used for the past 4 years, forwarded many jobs to and pretty close mate with. After diagnoses eliminating faults from hydraulic lifters, I was under the impression that I've got a broken piston from earlier air flow meter incident, so I naturally forward him with this job, how ever he stopped responding to my phone calls ever since.

Any way it’s not looking bad for the up coming engine. Getting it done at a proper engine building workshop. Every thing will still be build back into standard specifications for further Rb25det turbocharger evaluation purpose.

Oh bugger that is a slight oversight..... any answer from your mechanic mate?

Hey stao, any sign on the piston crowns of the massive leanout and subsequent det fest when the afm lead came off @ 6800 and 25psi? nuke.gif

It was the most evil noise i have ever heard emanate from my headphones (even for the maybe 1 sec it did it for)... did you find out who modified the plug so it could fall out?

Safely being the key word.

Mid 200's isn't technically impossible - approx 5cc per hp, 74ish hp per pot, that's around 450hp at the fly. 450hp is around 250-260rwkw

Sure 100% duty isn't considered safe - going for it is its a streeter. 1jz's can do it, I don't see why the old RB can't.

Either way this car is making around the mid 200's. Foolboost has had a few Skylines up around and making more power. He'd know if it was down in power.

Props Hypergear for putting some great R&D in to a turbo that clearly works well.

That is it from me. Apologies Hypergear.

Hey stao, any sign on the piston crowns of the massive leanout and subsequent det fest when the afm lead came off @ 6800 and 25psi? nuke.gif

It was the most evil noise i have ever heard emanate from my headphones (even for the maybe 1 sec it did it for)... did you find out who modified the plug so it could fall out?

hahaha they are actually all alright. Noting was abnormal with any of the pistons or con-rods. The one with the pin slided out has 2x tinny hair cracks undernees from the pin movement, and that was about it. I replaced 1x pistons and all rings, with conrods and crank machined and checked. So it was all good. Should have it back on road in about 2 weeks if every thing goes smoothly. Be comming back for more tunning. :thumbsup:

I guess it is possible there is an adjustable fuel reg.

Hey Rolls.

I am confused, the ambient temp is whatever is in the room, I can't see how the IT can be lower than this, a fan blowing would at best make the air the same temperature as that in the room, though it is far more likely it will be higher due to the heat soak around the radiator, pipes, turbo etc causing the IT to be higher even with a fan blowing.

What am I missing?

Safely being the key word.

Mid 200's isn't technically impossible - approx 5cc per hp, 74ish hp per pot, that's around 450hp at the fly. 450hp is around 250-260rwkw

Sure 100% duty isn't considered safe - going for it is its a streeter. 1jz's can do it, I don't see why the old RB can't.

Either way this car is making around the mid 200's. Foolboost has had a few Skylines up around and making more power. He'd know if it was down in power.

Props Hypergear for putting some great R&D in to a turbo that clearly works well.

That is it from me. Apologies Hypergear.

generally early 1jz wont do it unless its had 2jz injectors as the run out 220-230 same as rb25's, the jzx 100's are the same power-wise.

I have had some so called 240-250 rwkw cars (jzx100 and soarers) come in from zxy here in vic and both cars made 220ish not 250. I'm not saying you cant make one super hairy pass and make the power but sustained running will end in tears.

Rolls.

The fan in the instance where I observed the lower IT was located outside of the room. Not the best setup for 100% accuracy but in practice it makes SFA difference to the power readout.

early 1jz wont do it unless its had 2jz injectors as the run out 220-230 same as rb25's, the jzx 100's are the same power-wise.

I have had some so called 240-250 rwkw cars come in from a toyota tuner here in vic and both cars made 220ish not 250.

Would that be the Self proclaimed EMU/toyota guru...the one who sticks bags of ice on intercoolers while tuning "to replicate driving around on the street"

Rolls.

The fan in the instance where I observed the lower IT was located outside of the room. Not the best setup for 100% accuracy but in practice it makes SFA difference to the power readout.

agreed it is possible to get a lower it if you run it near the pod as the wind chill cools the sensor tip. should not inflate power at all.

Would that be the Self proclaimed EMU/toyota guru...the one who sticks bags of ice on intercoolers while tuning "to replicate driving around on the street"

Thats no way to talk about the only tuner thats managed to tune an m35. :rolleyes:

A CO2 extinguisher works just as well apparently. :)

Rolls.

Ah yep makes sense, yeah I wasn't thinking it would inflate power figures, just thought it was strange. :)

Thats no way to talk about the only tuner thats managed to tune an m35. :rolleyes:

A CO2 extinguisher works just as well apparently. :)

few doing flash on them apparently now scotty, im not one of them though :P

not sure what system they are using... but ive been told there is a few now... that do all vq's

Its all talk till I see the graphs. :P

I havent heard of anything other than shipping the ecu over to Japan for a guess-flash. I was hoping there would be a better option by now, considering im about to push for 350+

Oh bugger that is a slight oversight..... any answer from your mechanic mate?

I really wish he did. unfortunately he did not get back to me ever since. He also stuffed my 300ZX during a turbo change last year for the ATR25 development that coasted me $6G to get it back to working order, he tried to make up for it back then. How ever he did do few good less complex jobs as most people I referred him on turbo changes are satisfied with his work.

I believe there are two types of business/trades people:

1. People whom are using his/her skills doing their best to benefit the broad society.

2. People whom are using his/her skills doing what they could to benefit him/her self.

As the manager I feel I must have the knowledge and responsibility to ensure our customers receive the full benefit of our produces, be responsible and supportive to customer's needs regardless if the deal resulted in profit or lose. Same rule applies to my engineering team, and my tuners. Every job must be done properly to suit its purposes.

people whom are irresponsibility for their work / products cares only for their own benefits are not the type of people that we want to deal or work with.

Its all talk till I see the graphs. :P

I havent heard of anything other than shipping the ecu over to Japan for a guess-flash. I was hoping there would be a better option by now, considering im about to push for 350+

Graph is on the dynosheet section:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/55845-rb25-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/page__view__findpost__p__5847954

I believe Toshi have done great jobs and well proven by his results. Personally I would still prefer to get my tune done on a dyno by an experienced tuner. I have meet a ford engineer, been told that all XR6 / 8 ECUs are individually adjusted to suit specific engines as data sent from individual sensors varies.