SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

How ever I would expect Hypergear's units to out perform Kando units since their project is soley based in Rb25det and they have a test car. Looking forward to see some results.

Kando T67-25g 10cm is a direct copy of a Greddy T67-25g 10cm which was designed in Japan by a massive company with huge experience for 2.5L applications so I would say that point is null and void, if not a little naive.

Saying that, I have owned both a Kando turbo and a Hypergear turbo. Both are great turbos, good value for money and would (and do) recommend either to anyone who suits their application.

Edited by SimonR32

I really find Hypergears sevice fantastic!! seriously i have even rang him at 7 at night with questions and he still is polite :) And also seriously i would of thought that keeping a name like that in Australia would be much better than someone complaining over a few $$ but is more up front but less in the long run once u got the car complete.

To buy and fit one of those turbos you be looking to spend $900 delivered. Then another $800 on a decent manifold, $300 on external gate, $300 making dump and screamer pipes, $200 on water/oil lines and fittings, $100 on gaskets, $100 on intake pipe. By that time you've already spent $2700 plus 10 hours of labor, 1000% defect rate.

For $1850 I can get a ATR43ss2, bolt on, all it cost me is 3 hours labor, at 320rwkws It will out perform that $2700 setup.

Obviously it cost more $$ if the turbo is more involving to make, but price for value based on the final out come is still very cheap.

I have said across many threads that a Hypergear unit will save the majority of entry level modifiers an all out packet. I know they are excellent value, and I know they work well.

If you read back my previous posts in this thread, I do not have an RB motor and do not need the specially designed RB outlet flange, my comments on price are based on a generic unit supplied by Hypergear and not the specific items made for skylines. If I still punted an RB then I would happily own a hypergear turbo at the said $1450 for an SS-1.

Stao, $1200 is a good price and I will keep it in mind, Thanks.

Hi stao a while last year you built a highflow turbo for a friend of mine (pu flow) for a R34 GTT as i did all the installation i was sure it was fine... its recently being worked on at DR DRIFT (installing injectors rail and FPR) but a massive leak was discovered.... now the leak is coming from the comp housing o ring.... i was just curious since the building of the turbo was done by you are you able to fix this problem free of charge because its a build fault?

please pm me asap!

Happy to have a look at it, bring pass when ready. Generally you won't get any oil passing through the shaft collar on the cold side unless bearing housing is flooded. I would be checking the drain side.

He mentioned it was a leak, but not specific to an oil leak.

I assume an airleak was discovered which is why the compressor housing o-ring is being blamed. If the comp housing has not been rotated since build I would consider this a fault.

If the comp housing has been rotated even once since, I would not offer any warranty on the product. Its a 30c part anyway, personally I wouldnt bother returning it to supplier.

i love hypergear, they are incredible. service is just to good! my car pulls so hard.. as you can see in my picture of me drifting :)

+1 to Toa Toa

Some minor updates:

Suffering from major set back as my R33 had its 4th engine failure. Been told cyc 3 is down in compression and filled with oil. Likely is from that dyno run which the AFM plug vibrated it self out, it made a very bad detonation and the engine had with a little rattle since. Time to rebuild again will updated with photos

Also I've had a small batch of SS-1 castings produced, and by making them in quantity I've saved in average of $200 per unit in materials and labor so they are now $1450 inc GST, high pressure actuator and braided oil line. That is a perfect upgrade for any one who’s chasing 250rwkws in factory response with plenty of usable power band.

Some minor updates:

Suffering from major set back as my R33 had its 4th engine failure. Been told cyc 3 is down in compression and filled with oil. Likely is from that dyno run which the AFM plug vibrated it self out, it made a very bad detonation and the engine had with a little rattle since. Time to rebuild again will updated with photos

Also I've had a small batch of SS-1 castings produced, and by making them in quantity I've saved in average of $200 per unit in materials and labor so they are now $1450 inc GST, high pressure actuator and braided oil line. That is a perfect upgrade for any one who’s chasing 250rwkws in factory response with plenty of usable power band.

Hope you can get the test car sorted soon I look foward to seeing some pics of the repair/rebuild shortly!

Also good to hear you are cutting costs with batches of turbo's being made im sure it will help people out with better turbos for cheaper prices :)

Further updates:

This is a fully overhual and high flow service for people with Ford XR6 or any Generic GT3582 turbocharger. Including:

Brand new CHRA assembly using machined alloy comp wheel with larger blades. Fully machined .70 comp housing and high pressure actuator.

comp.JPG

Beefed up turbine to bearing housing adaption area. Pretty much all of them are cracked.

turbine1.JPG

Ported wastegate and larger wastegate disc

turbine2.JPG

turbine.JPG

The estimate power out put after high flowing is about 680HP, Standard is about 560HP due to limitation from .50 comp housing.

Some update:

Have had the engine pulled apart last weekend to find out of what appears like my mechanic didn't secure the gadget pin's retainer probably during the first rebuild, the pin slide out rubbing the block.

pistons.JPG

Leaving a very damaged bore.

damagedblock.JPG

Ethics its a funny thing, this is a licensed mechanic that I've used for the past 4 years, forwarded many jobs to and pretty close mate with. After diagnoses eliminating faults from hydraulic lifters, I was under the impression that I've got a broken piston from earlier air flow meter incident, so I naturally forward him with this job, how ever he stopped responding to my phone calls ever since.

Any way it’s not looking bad for the up coming engine. Getting it done at a proper engine building workshop. Every thing will still be build back into standard specifications for further Rb25det turbocharger evaluation purpose.

and this is why I trust second hand motors over rebuilt motors even from proper experienced builders. Even when people are spending upwards of $10k you see things like this happen

Edited by Rolls

Hypergear's engine building mate. Obviously doesn't want to take the rap for doing a half assed job on the engine. When it comes down to it, a lot of people will choose money over friendship.

I gave that block to reflex (local engine building workshop). I'm looking for another block at moment but they said they might be able to sleeve it. So I will wait and see.

Also I've had a second hand rb25det earlier. Lucky I stripped it for a quick check up and found 1 broken ring land in piston 4. So I would prefer to rebuild, but once again not really worth it when job's not done properly.