SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Just make it $1450 inc GST for the SS-1. And I will include high pressure actuator, oil feeding line as well as the 12 month warranty.

Also:

Uploading some video footages from 3 weeks ago regarding to the Prototype ATR43G3 Alfa ceramic ball bearing turbo. One of the injector went funny towards the end of that run, the best it made was 334rwkws on 22psi of boost. Didn't get the sheet, will go back with it again with aftermarket manifold, new injectors and more boost.

For now:

Looking good :)

Anychance of doing something a bit whack with some CT12a's?

I know you can do highflows but the standard comp housings arent big enough imo.

Was thinking of maybe using the standard turbine hosuings but having some bigger comp housings fitted?

Think it could work?

Or fitting some GT2554's or 2560 CHRAs to the turbine hosuings?

mmm stock comp housing aren't that bad, we can machine the inside out of it and it should be ok to flow around 18~20psi of boost before they start to surge. the current CHRA we machine it in there is ATR28G1. That is very equivalent to a 2860rs, or we can also try 2845 or machine it off to a 2855, but don't know the affects of those at this stage.

Stao do you have any results of ATR43G1 on RB25??? I would be VERY interested to see.

And how much would you charge to mate your .60 and .64 housings to a CHRA I supply? I want to use a MHI TD06SL2 20G core with internal gate housings. Can you state the price for front and rear housings machined to suit.

Thanks,

For now:

problem, thermodynamics?

:D

Can't wait to get one of these on my car. Just need to sort out my gearbox and diff :/

I think I can modify that into a T3 factory rb25det's turbine pattern. will cost you $400 total if that is do able.

So if I supply just the CHRA you will send it back with a T3 .64 rear housing and your .60 front cover for $400? or it that price for rear housing only? and does it include the actuator?

I would prefer if you can get me a complete turbo. The Turbine Geometry needs to be specifically engineered to suit a specific type of wheel. Its alright if you are happy to trail but can't guarantee the same result as if its with original housings.

PS. The Greddy's bearing housing is very different to Garrett. They heat shield and height of the bottom half is very different. To make that adapt into T3 turbine, I need to machine a adaptor ring, weld it on to the T3 housing, fit the Greedy bearing housing then machine if the physical height of the wheel sits some where close to the turbine tube. Its going to be a very complicated process.

My issue is the turbo's I want are externally gated, and I do not want the hassle of using an external gate.. I want to run T3 internal gate.

Im not sure what you could do in this regard.. My issue is mainly the external gated rear housing.. What about if you were to mod my rear housing to hang a gate off it? Could you supply the gate too? At what price?

I think the best way is to send the whole turbo in, I need to exam the rear housing, wheel and bearing housing and see what I can make to suit or at what sort extend I can have it modified for factory setup.

Or what sort of power are you chasing for?

Honestly I would happily own one of your SS-1 but am trying to avoid spending 1500 when kando dynamic are doing theirs for under a thousand.

Dump pipe bolt pattern doesn't matter to me, as long ad it is t3 and internal gate.

The SS series consumes too much labor time to make at this stage specially with SS2 that have to under go CNC machines.

I'm waiting for some SS1 castings, hopefully be able to shave about 10% off current retail towards mid May by producing them in batchs, which is still cheaper then modifying and install the Kando turbo with possibly better performance. will announce final price when ready

Honestly I would happily own one of your SS-1 but am trying to avoid spending 1500 when kando dynamic are doing theirs for under a thousand.

Dump pipe bolt pattern doesn't matter to me, as long ad it is t3 and internal gate.

I know what your saying about the kando turbos but external gated turbos are always cheaper obviously.

Would be great if Tao can make a batch of 5-10 SS-1 turbos and get the price down to ~$1300. That would be a great deal.

Kando does internally gated evo turbos also for under 1000 delivered... Using a genuine MHI housing.

Original pricing closer to the 1000 mark was a great factor for Stao, but recent hikes up to Garrett comparison are warding me off.

I still think it is an excellent product, but pricing has become ultimately competetive of late and everyone needs to keep up if they want to stay a float.

The ATR43 series with T3 with round outlet internally gated is only $1150 plus tax. SS1 if you don't mind make your own dump we can build that for $1200 plus tax.

Because all work carried out are in Melbourne, large percentage of the retail prices are made up from direct labor costs. And the Aussie dollar is stupidly high, means all Australian producs will be more expansive comparing to overseas imports.

Plus we have to pay for all factory overhead costs as well as taxes on every thing, I'm thinking to setup a factory and move all production to China which we can shave more then 50% off in manufacturing costs as well as paying lot less in overheads.

Kando does internally gated evo turbos also for under 1000 delivered... Using a genuine MHI housing.

Original pricing closer to the 1000 mark was a great factor for Stao, but recent hikes up to Garrett comparison are warding me off.

I still think it is an excellent product, but pricing has become ultimately competetive of late and everyone needs to keep up if they want to stay a float.

To buy and fit one of those turbos you be looking to spend $900 delivered. Then another $800 on a decent manifold, $300 on external gate, $300 making dump and screamer pipes, $200 on water/oil lines and fittings, $100 on gaskets, $100 on intake pipe. By that time you've already spent $2700 plus 10 hours of labor, 1000% defect rate.

For $1850 I can get a ATR43ss2, bolt on, all it cost me is 3 hours labor, at 320rwkws It will out perform that $2700 setup.

Obviously it cost more $$$ if the turbo is more involving to make, but price for value based on the final out come is still very cheap.

To buy and fit one of those turbos you be looking to spend $900 delivered. Then another $800 on a decent manifold, $300 on external gate, $300 making dump and screamer pipes, $200 on water/oil lines and fittings, $100 on gaskets, $100 on intake pipe. By that time you've already spent $2700 plus 10 hours of labor, 1000% defect rate.

For $1850 I can get a ATR43ss2, bolt on, all it cost me is 3 hours labor, at 320rwkws It will out perform that $2700 setup.

Obviously it cost more $$$ if the turbo is more involving to make, but price for value based on the final out come is still very cheap.

Kando turbos come with gaskets and oil/water lines and fittings but around $3000 would be the least to get you going in a high mount external gate arrangement.

Hypergear low mount needs a new intake pipe, silicon joiners, clamps etc on top of what you listed, I would say budget at least $2000 for turbo/parts if the turbo alone is $1450.

Performance, well for under 300rwkw I would probably go for the Hypergear as it's the cheaper option and will do the job well... Over 300rwkw? Kando is a better but more expensive option :cheers:

Edited by SimonR32

I paid about $100 for 2x silicon hoses and a half meter long metal pipe to complete the installation.

Also obviouse run the T67 with aftermarket extractors and external gate, we all know stock manifold is restrictive after 300rwkws, So unless the ATR43 is tested with aftermarket extractors and external gate we don't really know what they are capable of.

Also appears like Stao's already pumped 335rwkws with stock manifold internally gated on video above, I believe it has no issues pushing 350rwkws externally gated on aftermaret extractors.

How ever I would expect Hypergear's units to out perform Kando units since their project is soley based in Rb25det and they have a test car. Looking forward to see some results.

Edited by GeorgesR34