SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

What intercooler is that Harey?

Its a Trust Turnflow intercooler, although I bought it second hand so I dont know how old it is. It seems to be cooling quite well when you touch the end tanks, just seems to have a lot of pressure drop.

Hoping to replace it with a blitz return flow one day.

Awesome result.

Minor sacrifice of power off boost, then comes on song with standard turbo and doesn't let up from there. This is what the people want :)

as you can see my intercooler is quite restrictive and the gap in pressure increases with rpm. If I can get it to hold 18-19psi, I am sure I can get well into the 250's.

It has made street driving an absolute blast and it is 100% a street car.

I agree with Wolverine's observation, very similar sort of result vs the GT-RS. I went back and checked it against my old GT2871 48T high flow as well, and saw similar characteristics on the graph. That old setup only lagged behind the std setup to 2500rpm and made 225kW on 12psi. If this ATR43 SS1 offers similar transient throttle response characteristics, and this result at full load it's got to be the sort of setup a smart owner will choose. I like the look of it.

It does appear that pressure drop across the intercooler is costing some top end, but what sort of boost control is employed? An EBC may help to offset what's going on with the cooler, although turbine flow may also be part of the equation. What's the vibe from your tuner and Stao on these fronts? To be really honest it doesn't look to be want a higher peak power figure for other than bench racing. If it was able to hold peak torque from current 4700 through to 5700ish, it would have a really fat top end so you don't need to rev it hard. That would be good.

It's a street car, but also interested to know if it runs a quiet (legal)exhaust spec.

Awesome result.

Minor sacrifice of power off boost, then comes on song with standard turbo and doesn't let up from there. This is what the people want :)

This, inside a stock looking housing, is exactly what people want, or at least I want.

That, and the SS-2 Prototype which was a few pages back now which made 320rwkw with full boost at about ~3700, and you have pretty much got what 100% of all people want who arent doing massive internals work to their engine.

Oh yeah, inside the standard housing too :)

I'm not so sure it can be done with the standard housing...yet...Stao?

And if it can, it will most certainly be laggier or down on power up top.

This, inside a stock looking housing, is exactly what people want, or at least I want.

That, and the SS-2 Prototype which was a few pages back now which made 320rwkw with full boost at about ~3700, and you have pretty much got what 100% of all people want who arent doing massive internals work to their engine.

Yep if it can be done inside a stock housing I would consider it as a replacement for my turbo should it ever die being as GCG really turned me off with their customer service.

It plots like a HKS GT-RS.

Here's SS-1 VS GTRS based on a 12 sec run as the GTRS was tuned on 12 secs ramp. We only did like 3/4 of a run as the AFM plug vibrated it self out and made a massive knock. Trent was abit scared to put it back on.

Thick red line is ss-1, thin red line and green line is GTRS

atr43ss112secrun.jpg

So the big question mister hypergear...can we get something like that^ put into the standard housings aka high flow?

Yes can be done. Just odd that I have to charge you $50 more for the alloy sleeve then a brand new SS-1.

Yes can be done. Just odd that I have to charge you $50 more for the alloy sleeve then a brand new SS-1.

Can we have a picture of a brandnew SS-1 next to a standard turbo housing? Curious how different it looks and if it would pass the EPA/Defect inspection.

It does appear that pressure drop across the intercooler is costing some top end, but what sort of boost control is employed? An EBC may help to offset what's going on with the cooler, although turbine flow may also be part of the equation. What's the vibe from your tuner and Stao on these fronts? To be really honest it doesn't look to be want a higher peak power figure for other than bench racing. If it was able to hold peak torque from current 4700 through to 5700ish, it would have a really fat top end so you don't need to rev it hard. That would be good.

It's a street car, but also interested to know if it runs a quiet (legal)exhaust spec.

It is just running off the actuator, but the boost pressure before the intercooler looks perfect flat ~21-20psi. The drop down to 20psi after 6,000rpm is even there on Tao's car. Thats just the turbo running out of puff. The issue is the intercooler pressure drop as you can see I can only get just over 15psi into the engine. The previous turbo had exactly the same behaviour, I could not get more than ~15psi into the engine no matter how much I cranked the boost up even with a large 0.82 housing! I tried EBC's and they did nothing. Trent my tuner said he reckons even if you unplugged the hose from the actuator you wouldnt get anymore boost up top (previous turbo).

I run a 3" fujitsubo catback exhaust which is very quiet, on my previous turbo it was restricting power ~5-8kw but to me its worth it so I dont get any unwanted police attention.

Can we have a picture of a brandnew SS-1 next to a standard turbo housing? Curious how different it looks and if it would pass the EPA/Defect inspection.

comphousings.JPG

They share the exact same housing geometry, except the surge grove for stock comp wheel needs to go (high lighted). To use that as the SS comp housing the whole inlet part of the stock comp housing has to be machined out and resleeved to have a flat bore.

Just comparing mine to Hareys for a minute and its amazing how different yet the same they are

heres mine

DSC01688.jpg

Hareys

244kw_power_torque.jpg

I dont have a graph but I had much the same boost pressures as well. My cooler is also pretty crappy but at the manifold I had 18psi dropping of to 15psi.

be interesting to see them side by side at the lights ;)

fantastic result Geoff!!! things have definitely improved from the guinea pig days when i ran some of the HG proto's - i made a touch more with my 98 tune, but full boost was a good 500rpm later from memory

this is the turbo for the street guys, well done Stao!

Stao what sort of results would you expect from your SS-1 at 14psi, and can you build a 'smaller' turbo into a T3 housing?

Perhaps 2871 52t spec into your .64 housing with 3 nozzle FNT tech + your .60 3" comp cover, do able?

the SS-1 should make just under 240rwkws on 14psi. I can only run a single nozzle in those as the turbine housing doesn't have enough room to run more. I believe the SS-1 is the perfect combination for 250rwkws applications. Smaller profiles is do able, but lack in peek power and torque but doesn't make any differences in response just like the GTRS comparison above. I'm pretty happy with the way its currently set.