SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Here are the graphs i get asked for:

GT3071 bolt on kit vs Hyper gear high flow.

This is Harey's result in a R34 vs a R34 with same mods but a GT3071 bolt on kit from GCG.

As you can see there are differences in performance and price so pick the one that suits your budget or needs.

I also posted the results from Tao's runs @ 21psi against it, the GT3071 could not crack 300rwkw but was more responsive.

The GT3071 results are typical and i have not seen one be more responsive unless a unrealistic ramp is used.

ALSO IMPORTANT NOTE IS THAT ALL RB25 TURBO's around this size roll off hard near 7000rpm (i thought it was the dyno @ first but i did runs to 7800 and it still rolls off) i sent the car round the corner (dyno dynamics, brand new) and the roll off was not as violent but was still shown as a flatten then slow decline .. obviously the inertia of the rollers is dampening the roll-off effect.

post-34927-1288059573_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1288059586_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1288059697_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1288059712_thumb.jpg

Trent, any chance of this run vs the 3071r?!?

doing it now, you have a good eye the comparo is very close, i forgot about abes car... as its a R33 not a R34

post-34927-1288060802_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1288060821_thumb.jpg

Its pretty obvious high flowing with factory housings would have many restrains, which we don't have to worry about those in a fresh build. So far we've been building and testing better alternatives for 500HP applications. I'm not really interested but will be doing few tests based on 450~470 HP profiles.

from what i can tell "ABE's" 290kw run has more power and torque pretty much everywhere than the 3071r.. i like that turbo :down:

Its a sleeve bearing ATR43G3 in .70 comp and .82 turbine. I'll be testing the ceramic ball bearing version of that later in the week.

What a guy! Good stuff :D

Wonder if we can get some 3076 graphs just for kicks... :)

Seeing as the 3076/3071 debate seems as alive as the 3071/HG debate..And with his new turb putting out 320+ i think its kinda relevant...

Personally i feel a 3076 should be EG (so is in another class really) but im sure many would beg to differ..

Hey guys. Im looking to downgrade since im happy with 230kw at wheels.

I have G2 hiflow turbo, .63 housing.

Bought it brand new.

Modified to hold boost.

Turbo has been on my car for 14 000km. Most were done on 12 psi, just recently running 15 psi.

Capable of 260kw at wheels approx.

Im looking for G1 hiflow .56 housing for 230 kw responsive.

if u have anything i might be interested in PM me. Thx.

Edited by adis

Ok, I have some disappointing results from my dyno with Trent yesterday. I went in with a new intake hoping to at least match the previous 279rwkw and then troubleshoot by dropping the exhaust and trying to get the turbo to hold boost flat instead of dropping 3psi.

We could not make more than 255rwkw. We tried tightening the intercooler pipe clamps and did make a bit more around 260rwkw. Boost looked around the same, starting at 18psi and dropping down to about 15psi.

We then dropped the cat to test if the exhaust was restrictive. This did result in about 10rwkw more. We then bolted just the cat up without the catback and it made about 5rwkw less. Hardly anything to be worried with so the exhaust was crossed off the list of suspects.

Yellow is full exhaust, light blue is dump and cat but no catback, and dark blue is just the dump pipe with no cat. Trent aborted this run after he saw there was not much difference.

Trents hypothesis is a dodgy rubber joiner somewhere in the intercooler piping or perhaps a less than average intercooler. So next step is to replace all rubber joiners with silicone and see how that goes. If anyone else has any ideas that would be really helpful!!

Please dont judge the hypergear turbo on my result as clearly my car has some other issues. I dont think its fair to compare my results to the 3071 either as mine is not running well yet.

post-29432-1288133514_thumb.jpg

post-29432-1288133520_thumb.jpg

post-29432-1288133528_thumb.jpg

post-29432-1288133537_thumb.jpg

Bummer dude....might be worth simply removing all pipework from the turbo to intercooler, then intercooler to plenum. Go over everything, replace cheap hose clamps with the GOOD ones (like I should do lol). If there's nothing out of place with that, perhaps your cooler is shit. See if there's one lying around you could swap with and give it a shot, otherwise buy a new one. Confirm it's the issue first, coz coolers aren't cheap :P

Thanks Trozzle.

Another point I forgot to mention was that we tried another stud in the wastegate to increase boost and this also had the same drop off in boost.

Tao just called me then and brought up another good option the standard blow off valve being faulty. And now that I think about it when I get off throttle when on boost it does make a short dose noise. Tao was saying the standard blow off valve spring is very soft so should not do that.

In the first 279rwkw dyno I had the blow off valve blocked off, wow that is most probably the answer! By answer I mean getting back to 279rwkw, not the answer to the dropping boost level.

EDIT: when there is NO pressure on either side of the BOV, does the spring hold it open or closed by default?

I believe my standard BOV is a piece of ass too, which is why I bought an R33 GT-R BOV off another forum member. Hopefully it turns up today.

Mine will occasionally make a bit of a dose sound when I change gears, as well as not have as much pull as it comes on boost sometimes. Probs leaking....or all in my head lol. Either way, I'll feel better if I'm running a better BOV.

Edited by Trozzle

I believe my standard BOV is a piece of ass too, which is why I bought an R33 GT-R BOV off another forum member. Hopefully it turns up today.

Mine will occasionally make a bit of a dose sound when I change gears, as well as not have as much pull as it comes on boost sometimes. Probs leaking....or all in my head lol. Either way, I'll feel better if I'm running a better BOV.

So the GTR bov bolts right up? How do you know that its not leaking?

Is there anywhere you can buy a new nissan one or is that ridiculously expensive? I would like to keep it looking stock.

If the BOV is opening that would drop the boost level as well :P

That is not always the case. The leak could be slight enough that the turbo can make more boost to keep the same boost level. Only difference would be more lag (which I have) and the turbo would be running a lot harder.

I had the blow off valve blocked off for the 279kw dyno above and that still dropped boost. Only difference since then is 20rwkw. Oh well I will just block off the blow off valve and go for a drive tonight.

That is not always the case. The leak could be slight enough that the turbo can make more boost to keep the same boost level. Only difference would be more lag (which I have) and the turbo would be running a lot harder.

I had the blow off valve blocked off for the 279kw dyno above and that still dropped boost. Only difference since then is 20rwkw. Oh well I will just block off the blow off valve and go for a drive tonight.

ditch the pile of shit stock bov and run no bov. there over rated and being such a soft spring they will be opening as its ramping up on boost.