SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Can pay less for a genuine Garrett turbo and around half that for a genuine MHI turbo as well.

True, but none of them bolton to stock setup. So we spend more time and work to engineer a bolton solution, which works out cheaper then having to go through fabrication, and produce similar power.

The engineering and making of the Ceramic BB core is lot more then just buying a Garret steel bearing core. I would also like to point out is this is running twin ceramic BB cartridges, not the single cartridge with a bush on the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of the MHI units, I bought one core for a Transit van not long ago, they are made and came out of Taiwan while the seller is claiming they are made and sent from Japan. They don't look geninue Mitisubishi to me. And would you have any data of how they performed on a stock Rb25det setup? I couldn't find any.

Not internally gated, steel bearings, less in HP, not bolton. You spend more time and coins to fit it, and not getting the same sort of power.

I have that in stock for $1600 including GST if you want.

They require 90% of the same mods that a Garrett turbo does, (oil/water lines etc) only real advantage is the standard style dump pipe bolts up.

I've gone through this numerous times, with installation guide in previous pages. All you need to install ATR43 is a metal intake pipe and a 90 degrees silicon hose in 2 inches. It is sold with a braid oil feeding line. This package bolt on to:

Factory manifold

Factory Dump pipe

Factory Water lines and fittings

Factory Oil feeding port

Factory Oil drain

I would call this 90% bolton, Its a 3 hours job remove and fit from a experienced mechanic.

Also this is a brand new core built from scratch. Not the modified version using stock bearing housing, and not using the weak factory thrust plate either. This is lot more beefed up, its designed so you can run it 20psi all day every day. I will be interested to see the integrity of those bearing cartridges first, it won't be commercially available through more tests.

What turbo should I be looking at for circa 300rwhp on an RB20 with the usual mods (pod, 3" exhaust, FMIC, GTR injectors, Z32, nistune)?

I would be wanting maximum response for street/circuit work, ideally similar to what I have now.

Currently the car has a 4V51 turbo and does ~240hp at the hubs at 14.5psi.

dyno.jpg

Would ideally like to cap boost at sub 20psi for engine longevity :)

Exactly you have to compare it to a full bolt on garrett kit for $2600-$3000.

The MHI turbo is not a fair comparison as it requires an external wastegate which is just not an option for most street cars. Not to mention new dump pipe, external gate piping, external wastegate itself etc

If you want a cheaper option turbo, Hypergear also has those.

When I was looking around for a 3076R I/W kit, the "best" (see: easiest to deal with, complete kit, no dicking around sourcing god knows what for myself) was from CRD for $2795. This kit would come with everything you needed minus gaskets. Essentially the turbo, actuator, and oil line (unsure if it came with water line too...but that would only account for like $100).

For $1480 (or $1380 if I supplied my own turbo to Stao...plus postage to get it there) I received the ATR34G2, actuator, and braided oil line.

As for results of the 3076R? I've seen people with ~280rwkw @18psi, I've seen ~280rwkw @ 15psi....The ATR43 got me 285rwkw @15psi.

I don't think you'd easily source all the parts needed for an equivalent Garrett turbo for close to the price of these, let alone below it.

What turbo should I be looking at for circa 300rwhp on an RB20 with the usual mods (pod, 3" exhaust, FMIC, GTR injectors, Z32, nistune)?

I would be wanting maximum response for street/circuit work, ideally similar to what I have now.

Currently the car has a 4V51 turbo and does ~240hp at the hubs at 14.5psi.

Good street turbo for RB20dets is very different to RB25dets. Its more categoried into a 4cyc class. Ie. they will works heaps better with a turbo thats made for a 2L 4cyc engine. I would recommend the ATR43SS, There are 2x versions which is in similar specifications as a 2860RS and a 2871RS in .64 bolton rear housing. Those works beautifully with RB20det.

It is especially not relevant when the comparisons are done on different dynos with different dyno operators

I would like to address all dyno results I've posted as based on standard ramp speed, not the high speed ramp. So they are very honest and accountable results.

Yeah, I'm not saying that the ATR43G2 is the same as a GT3076R, nor do I mean to directly compare the results when done on different dynos. Consider the range of results, as well as the price. The argument was how much cheaper you can get a genuine Garrett turbo. For this to be valid, you also need to compare a Garrett of similar specs.

I know that Nismoid, but when considering the cost difference....

Well... eg...

1000rpm extra power band for $1,000 - that would be a good bang for buck expenditure in my books :down:

Infact you probably couldn't get such a good value for the $ spent on any other part.

(Disclaimer: The above is just a generalised statement, actual figures may vary and end user should investigate themselves)

Well... eg...

1000rpm extra power band for $1,000 - that would be a good bang for buck expenditure in my books :down:

Infact you probably couldn't get such a good value for the $ spent on any other part.

(Disclaimer: The above is just a generalised statement, actual figures may vary and end user should investigate themselves)

You can't really get much more response unless running race fuel or some jungle juice?

This is a $1450 turbo here. No cam gears, no cams, 98 fuel, internally gated, fully stock Rb25det none Neo engine setup. 3 hours to install. 200rwkws @ 4000RPMs. To get 200rwkws @ 3000RPMs is abit unrealistic.

atr43g3p2290rwkw.jpg

Above is also based on a 9 sec short ramp run. Not cheating with long ramp run either.