SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Anyone care to share pics of their SS2 high mounted on an RB25? Preferably on a 6Boost manifold.

Also stao, can you run a rear turbine housing like the one on the T67 (which goes straight to Vband and doesnt have your 5 bolt IWG/EWG adaptor) on the SS2 at all? I test fitted a GT3076 on the 6BOOST manifold and it fitted fine but the SS2 front housing hits the cam covers.

I email'd Kyle (owner of 6BOOST) and sent him some pictures and measurements of the manifold. His response was that all manifolds come off the same jig and mine isnt any different to a standard item. He also said

"At a guess id say the hypergear turbine housing is bigger or the offset of the scroll closer to the flange centerline making it bulge out the rocker cover side more and hit. Borrow a proper Garrett turbo off someone and try it.

Regards, Kyle"
49LqPls.jpg
gFwIJi8.jpg
To527x5.jpg

I email'd Kyle (owner of 6BOOST) and sent him some pictures and measurements of the manifold. His response was that all manifolds come off the same jig and mine isnt any different to a standard item. He also said

"At a guess id say the hypergear turbine housing is bigger or the offset of the scroll closer to the flange centerline making it bulge out the rocker cover side more and hit. Borrow a proper Garrett turbo off someone and try it.

Regards, Kyle"

^^^^

That is BS

Ask him why other people using his Rb25det high mount manifold and this particular turbo fits.

All P Trimmed T3x turbine housings are identical. Its the "Area" over Radius that made up that volume which hits the rocket cover. To space it out, this area will have to be minimized, means no longer .82.

Also look how close this back plate is to the head. There is no way this comp housing can fit even the turbine housing is changed.

I've seen 6 boost manifolds high mounted SS2 with .82 turbine before. This manifold is very wrong.

The only way I see it, is by cutting off the manifold flange and re-weld it in the correct angle.

Surely people can understand my situation. I have 2 reputable people (Hypergear and 6Boost) both telling me that it's not their product that is at fault. I just want to know what my issue is.

That's why I asked for pictures of other people setups to be 100% sure that the turbo is fine.

If you look at thr manifold, the angle seems pretty aggressive so it brings the turbo closer to the head.

Can't be the turbo, all the exhaust castings are the same. If that's the case then every single turbo Hypergear sells would need different manifolds each time, however every turbo fits as it supposed to low or high mounted.

Even look at Cal's SS2, has been mounted in the most unconventional way and fits.

It's no big deal to cut and shut the flange to angle it away from the head, but obviously Kyle is unwilling to do that? Poor service indeed... You could possibly machine it, or weld a wedge shaped flange to the top?

I suggest you take it to another fabricator and never speak of 6boost again.

<p>looks like you've got 3x options really:

• Get Stao to get you another exhaust housing, something a little shorter so it brings the turbo down
  • Modify the manifold (probably worst option)
  • Get a Garett Turbo (probably close to worst option also)
Another option would be a custom made angle spacer, between turbo and manifold.

Which would be weird! I can help out there if needed.

Edited by superben

383rwkws with 23psi by 3500RPMs standard spec rb25det engine on single scroll high mount and external gate E85. Thats about the limitation of most power and response. any thing more it starts to chock the engine down low and doing opposite. It feels as stock turbo pulling 383rwkws. No point getting any better response beyond this point.

That was with the old SS2 CBB CHRA, the new one can probably fetch 390rwkws.