SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Boostn0199: Thats a awsome footage, definitely smoked the whole track. Would you have more footages? I'm building a new website which I would love to have every one's track footages on it.

Yep ive got heaps of footage so thats no problem id be happy for u to use it on your site. Just let me know how much you want and ill get it together for u.

Very well answered Stao about the whole Garrett rebuilding not really possible with a guarantee the turbo will actually last a long and healthy life. Very Genuine down to earth honest answer that really proves how much Stao really does care about his customers and developing eye opening turbochargers. :)

Stao is it possible though to change compressor and exhaust wheels on Garrett gt bb cartridges if the cartridge itself is brand new or near new? For example turning a gt3076r into say a gt3576r by obviously changing the exhaust wheel over? Or is it just not really possible?

Sorry to clog your thread with Garrett stuff but im sure there is a few people out there possibly wondering the same thing???

Thanks Stao.

Cheers Josh

Disco: The 3040 is not a good combination, it might work if its on a high mount with a big externally gated setup as the compressor will out flow the turbine. So on the end its not making much more power then a 3076 but with added lag and unwanted heat.

Josh: The 3576 is a turbocharger that has a GT35 turbine with a 76mm compressor. In matched housings, the turbine end of a 3576 will out flow the compressor. This is a healthy thing and makes the engine very happy. How ever it does result in of unwanted lag as it requires higher velocity to spool up a larger turbine.

This is sort of combination is common on Diesel engines which they are chasing torque with response, and perhaps large petrol engines chasing longevity or working with low octane fuel. They are exactly of what comes out of all the new BF Falcons. I believe the only reason they did that was to reduce the rear end heat making the thing more reliable long terms instead of cracking housings and etc, that is common on the XR6 BA Falcons.

I don't mind talking about Garrett stuff because they are the bases of modern turbochargers. I don't mind machine Garrett housings for different wheels, but I prefer to not work on the CHRA assembly.

Boostn0199: Are your footages all on youtube? or can I pickup a DVD from you? Thanks

Ah ok thanks Stao. I actually just used the 3076 and 3576 as a example really. Basically just was getting at can the front and rear wheels be it a gt2876r to gt3076r or gt3071r. Or gt2560 to a gt2871r ect ect.be changed. Like hiflowed. In a new cartridge or near new cartridge.

Does that make sense now stao.?

Edited by Joshbigt62r

Yes the compressor and turbine wheels can be changed, when fitting larger wheels to chras that has smaller wheels the bearing housing needs to be bored out to suit the dia of the new wheel. Then just need to balance the chra (VSR) and its good to go. Ie can turn 2876 to 2860 or 2871 and etc, or if you have a GT3082 with a GTX compressor wheel it can be easily turned into a GTX3071 sort of thing.

Disco: yes I also use angular contact ball bearings for some of my CHRAs as what you've seen in some of my dyno videos. They are very different to how Garrett constructed theirs.

How ever I still prefer bush bearing for reliability.

[quote name="hypergear" post="7208173" timestamp="

Boostn0199: Are your footages all on youtube? or can I pickup a DVD from you? Thanks

Ive got about 1 hr of footage on youtube but if u want i can put the various footage on a dvd and send it to u.

Ive got about 1 hr of footage on youtube but if u want i can put the various footage on a dvd and send it to u.

Can I grab your youtube user name please. Thanks.

So whats the going price on a SS2 external gated v/band outlet? Thats basically a gt3076 right?

That is $1150 to build with a plate, if you need the Vband adaptor it cost an additional $110. The result is similar result to a 3076 with slightly better response.

I did have one injector failure after 5 dyno days, it just stopped working while reversing out of my drive way. It has been replaced and currently all working.

I bought spare set which you can have for $750 if you need them.

This is a reading sent in from Dvsjez. Its from a a R33 skyline with noisy engine compression varies from 140~150psi. I think it did reasonably well for the platform it worked on. On a healthy engine it should come up pretty close to 300rwkws mark. This is a SS2 used as a OEM bolton turbo internally gated on stock manifold.

273rwkwsjez.jpg

post-79144-13932252656997_thumb.jpgpost-79144-1393225300776_thumb.jpg

Look at the center hub where the compressor wheel bolts on there is a big difference

On the old cast wheel there's a good 2-3mm before the fins start

The new billet wheel you can't even see the center hub the fins start right away

This is my ss1.5 for my sr20det vs my old atr28g2 so a 68mm billet wheel vs a 71mm cast

Booked in for a tune on Wednesday

Goes like my hks2530 down low but more top end

Some updates. This is in relation to the ATR43G3 turbocharger. This prototype runs our latest rear wheel, how ever I will be installing it into a smaller rear hopping for more power while retaining the same drive ability.

comp.jpg

Test car is currently on E85, the goal would be 350rwkws+ on 20psi with full boost reached by or before 4000RPMs. In which should achieve 300rwkws at 20psi on pump 98 fuel.

^^^

Made 353rwkws @ 22psi, uploading results tomorrow. Matching response from a SS2 how ever still off target by 20kws. The housing might be a little smaller in size then whats anticipated. going back to a larger housing, Further updates in about a weeks time.

Just letting every one know our new website is online. The layout is designed by asap website which is also a member of SAU. details are at:

www.hypergearturbos.com

Please forward a link if you have video footage using our turbochargers, I will be included in our media page.

I've also kept the classic site which address is at: www.digi-hardware.com

Dyno didn't go the best today

On 20psi was making 250rwkw and power to limiter which was same power as before on 25psi but before power dropped off at 5600rpm now pulls to limiter

Yavuz said this turbo has more legs than the other turbo but as the boost was turned up detonation started to set in on 23psi was 263kw but slight pinging so left it at 20psi

I'm going to try the .86 rear on it in a few weeks and see how I go as he said the engine will be a lot happier with the .86rear on the higher boost pressure better

Hopefully doesn't hurt response too much but now it always starting to boost on any throttle

New site looks good Stao :)

My SS2 made 270rwkw on the dyno the other day, but I believe it has an exhaust restriction from what my tuner said and the dyno sort of backed that up. power stops climbing and starts dropping before redline. Going to check the Cat isnt restricting the exhaust and if so will chuck a new one on and get a touch up tune and should be a winner. The Cat is a ceramic high flow cat and has been on for about 5 years so its probably due for replacement anyway. Very happy with the turbo anyway, hopefully thre is just a small exhaust restriction and it will feel even better soon.

I'll try and get a video of it soon if I can

Edited by 89CAL

Dyno didn't go the best today

On 20psi was making 250rwkw and power to limiter which was same power as before on 25psi but before power dropped off at 5600rpm now pulls to limiter

Yavuz said this turbo has more legs than the other turbo but as the boost was turned up detonation started to set in on 23psi was 263kw but slight pinging so left it at 20psi

I'm going to try the .86 rear on it in a few weeks and see how I go as he said the engine will be a lot happier with the .86rear on the higher boost pressure better

Hopefully doesn't hurt response too much but now it always starting to boost on any throttle

Which turbo is this?