SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The 21U high flow is probably at similar level as the SS1PU, So either one would perform very similarly.

The OP6 high flow so far is making very close power as the SS2 how ever the SS2 is more responsive.

Limitation is on the exhaust manifold and internal gate. I'm stilling trying to rise the bars, how ever here isn't much more could be done on the turbocharger.

Awesome thanks for the info both of you guys :)

Another quick question in regards to response. How much RPM response difference would there be between the 21U and the OP6?

Obviously there is a pretty large difference is top end power so my guess is the lag will be a little higher on the OP6

21U factory bolton result is at:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-444

and OP6 factory bolton result is at:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-461

The differences in response is 500RPMs

By the way the index page is in page 1, and I've taken references, So go to page one and do a search on the page. Ie: 21U or OP6 or SS2 it will high light all the results and linked page references for easy access.

So Stao on an unopened RB25 how many rwkw would you expect running 16-18psi internal gate on an OP6 high flow with 98PULP? Obviously it's not recommended going over roughly 19psi on stock engine. Will the pre-loaded factory actuator achieve this? Are you able to hold boost with these through to redline or does it tail off?

Edited by colourclassic

Some updates. This is in relation to the ATR43G3 turbocharger. This prototype runs our latest rear wheel, how ever I will be installing it into a smaller rear hopping for more power while retaining the same drive ability.

comp.jpg

turbine.jpg

Test car is currently on E85, the goal would be 350rwkws+ on 20psi with full boost reached by or before 4000RPMs. In which should achieve 300rwkws at 20psi on pump 98 fuel.

It is a newly molded rear wheel which I've made a couple of changes to, it is in the same radius how ever the dia and trim of exducer is much larger. (the sizing of those areas are stone grinded). It has been put into a newer housing all together.

It is much more responsive compare to the older G3, Which can be a good or a bad thing depending on the efficiency of the turbine wheel, On paper it is, and I'm pretty confident.

Going to the dyno Monday, I'm hopping for 20psi by 3700rpms and sitting around 350rwkws internally gated E85.

Just fitted my ss1.5 to my sr20det 180sx very very happy

More responsive than my atr28g2 comes on to boost on very easy

Feels like goes as good as the old turbo on wastegate pressure 20psi and old turbo on 25psi

20psi by 3500-3700rpm on road 4th gear

Dyno tune very soon when Unigroup are free

Tao can you Hi Flow GT30R cartridges , will we see a GT30HPGR that isn't a copy but does as well or better than HTA 3073R/3076R ?

Could you take a 48T GT3076R (older comp type) fit a better wheel and machine the ported shroud into its snout like Garrett does with smaller GTX turbos ?

Lots of people like GT3076Rs and some would like better compressor options available in Aus . I was speaking to Wolverine the other day and he was saying that classic 3076Rs give up a bit in the mid 2000 rev area and HTA users say better everywhere inc off boost than the GT wheel version .

Like Mr Lith I'm keen to see what a really well developed 73mm billet compressor wheel could do in an IW GT30R cartridge - and possibly in a 0.50-0.60 T04E comp housing .

Just a thought cheers A .

hy_rpm: Thanks for your feedbacks, looking forward to see updated results.

Disco:

I prefer to not work with Garrett cartridges, mainly because those are not rebuildable, and I hate dealing with angry customers when parts unrelated to my services fails.

The SS2's compressor wheels does improves down low, how ever the differences are just marginal, also applies to all the GT30x rear ended turbocharger. There is absolutely nothing noticeable can be made, when the velocity of exhaust discharge remains unchanged in the turbine housing.

Stepping up Can not be with traditional ideas. SS2 Alpha version is a break through. That made a very noticeable difference, factory response to 383rwkws, and no flat spots any where.

Stao maybe if people want you to work on or repair there Garrett bb turbos that any work you carry out on there Garrett bb gt25/28/30/35 turbo you cant guarantee it to last or parts to last and not fail.

Not sure if that makes sense lol im pretty tired lol. But basically you get your Garrett bb turbo hiflowed or covers changed ect at your own risk and get the customer to sign something that your having your Garrett bb turbo tampered with/customised at your own risk. Then you can go on and advice them they're better off going one of your own turbochargers eg. Ss2 or G3 Alpha ect. If they still want you to change exhaust wheels and compressor wheels changed ect. On there Garrett bb turbo its there own fault if they get it back hiflowed and it lasts 70km then bad luck you warned them Stao. Just a idea.

Also someone else may know for sure but don't some company's in Aus rebuild the Garretts nowadays? I think I was on US EBAY and found companys selling aftermarket bearing and seal kits for Garretts for like $250ish.

Sorry if alot of this does not make sense or incorrect spelling and what not I apologise its extremely early and im very tired.

Cheers Josh.

The problem with the above idea is that even though Stao may say this, if it fails, or doesn't perform, most people don't typically go:

"Oh well, I was told this would happen"

Well they say the above, but are still angry/resentful and don't feel happy about the product or service that they just paid for. Stao is very, very, very, very mindful of people who have a bad time, and wants everyone to have a good time, and as a business owner it just makes sense to have that kind of policy. Especially in a field like aftermarket car upgrades, where everyone is extremely happy to point fingers and lay blame on anything they can.

• Like 1

Point taken Tao though I was referring to cold end improvements to brand new cartridges not a used core rebuild .

I didn't think Garrett or their agents would ever offer rebuild service for their BB units but I have seen adverts for this .

FP seems to be doing well with GT28/30/35 HTA conversions and I'd like to hear what you think about mainly the GT30 based ones .

Are you or do you plan to do BB centre sections within the dimensions of a T3/T4 plain bearing housing ?

Cheers DP03 .

Hey stao im looking at a turbo and manifold choice for my rb25/30. My engine is being built for 1000hp. Its going into an EH wagon weighting 900 kg. what would u suggest? High mount , mid mount?? Its going external gate run on e85. Looking at turbo and manifold suggestions.

Sorry I was on the Murray river catch Carps (or only caught carps lol) this weekend.

To couple of replies earlier:

With the Kando's T67, I'm concert about the back pressure it already has, it might not last, but I can definitely can improve its performance. So pm through if you would like to go ahead.

The roller bearing assembly in side the Garrett turbochargers are the high speed angular contact ball bearings. Those has very strict tolerances, they are not some thing of those cheap ebay aftermarket bearing cartridges can offer. I tried rebuilding a S15 turbocharger for my CA using a ebay kit few years ago and it hauled badly, didn't even make its way out of the workshop. After swapping it with a genuine bearing cartridge it worked perfectly (MTQ had them back then). Garrett ball bearing turbos must be rebuilt with Genuine Garrett bearing cartridges.

With roller bearing turbos, there isn't much of noticeable signs of failure before it fails. And when it does, turbine shaft loses its centripetal support, both wheels will eat into their housings. Once a turbocharger blows it has no value, and that is the worst to be expected. I've sold few Garrett turbochargers to members of this and NS forums few years ago, there were two failures. One of them was quite contravene as the member whom bought my customer's four month old turbo found it had burnt turbine wheel, he was refused for warranty. Both rang with length conversations and there is nothing I could do. While because the seller is in breach of SAU guidelines, he was banned. So if I'm not in title of fixing it I prefer not to work on it at all.

Happy to trail few wheels, no need to send me the turbocharger, simply send me few wheels of what might be interested to be tested, and I can trail all of them based on a SS2 core on a built engine. I've also drawn a newer version of 74mm SS2 compressor wheel yet to be cut and trailed.

I'm confident in building some thing up to 700HP range. How ever with 1000HP+ builds I'm not very experienced in that field. So its probably worth getting the turbocharger built by HTA or Precision whom might be more experienced at that HP level.

Boostn0199: Thats a awsome footage, definitely smoked the whole track. Would you have more footages? I'm building a new website which I would love to have every one's track footages on it.

• Like 1