SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Being the go to backyard performance mechanic of all my friends and their friends, friends, friends, brothers, cousins, friend, I do a lot of those ling long JJR dumps, and I haven't had an issue.

You guys must be faaaaarking unlucky to get shit ones. No kidding.

^ the newer batches appear to be garbage, I bought a ling long JJR dump back in 2007 and it fit like a glove, no bashing no grinding no swearing. These days, they appear to have dropped the ball a little and it's absolute garbage. I've bought & fitted two for mates and both times both need some bashing & grinding to line up the bolt holes.

Anyways, back on track...2x things, what size is the top fitting for the oil feed? The Kando factory RB25DET kit oil feed is heaps bigger than this:

DSC_1213.jpg

Also one for Stao & everyone else... is there any reason for the rear is so long? I believe there's no need for it and it just ends up causing issues with fitment.

DSC_1212.jpg

Also one for Stao & everyone else... is there any reason for the rear is so long? I believe there's no need for it and it just ends up causing issues with fitment.

\

Theres no reason for it to be any length, should of just got it with the flange and then constructed the rest to suit your setup.

Mainly its out of the same jig as mine and it worked ok on my car. Can be modified with no problems.

Water is in m18x1.5

Oil is in m10x1.25

Do NOT use oil restrictor on the normal versions of the ss turbos.

Merry xmas every one.

• Like 1

Hi Stao, what boost controller would you recommend for ATR43-SS2 internally gated with the 20psi actuator? I'd like to get the boost up to a steady 20psi.

I am currently running a TurboTech V2 MBC and when the car was tuned (257rwkw @ ~17psi) my tuner commented that they had some trouble tuning with it, something to do with the adjustment. They suggested a simple TurboSmart boost tee instead if I wanted to keep with a manual boost controller. However, I'm wondering if I should go electronic instead - are there affordable yet good ones out ther?

Thanks

As fyi I have used a turbotech v1 on my SS1PU and was able to hold 20psi easy. I now use a hybrid ebc to great success, just the simple single stage version and it's great.

Pre-load the actuator rod first and see if that makes any changes before switching boost controllers. I'm currently using a Prefect B EBC and seems to be fine at current stage.

From memory the pre-load was set before installation but will double check. Thanks Stao.

As fyi I have used a turbotech v1 on my SS1PU and was able to hold 20psi easy. I now use a hybrid ebc to great success, just the simple single stage version and it's great.

Cool thanks. I wonder if my V2 is just a temperamental unit ... I'm tempted to swap it over to a V1 or a Turbosmart boost tee, or even a simple EBC like the Gizzmo one. However I will check the pre-load setting first.

No it's not a real t3 gt3071r with the full size 60mm turbine wheel will crack 300rwkw on a sr

On nissansilvia there's a guy making

347rwkw on a gtx3071r twinscroll on just under 30psi e85 20psi by 3600rpm on VCt sr

Another

Make and model: s15 sr20det unopened engine in s13

Size of engine: 2.0L

Modifications to the car: supporting mods nismo 740's, z32 afm, greddy valve springs, copy sump, jjr exhaust manifold modded to suit 44mm tial, 3 inch exhaust, trust 400x300x100 tube and fin intercooler, 40mm china radiator, trust oil cooler, splitfires, old blitz dsbc, bosch 044 and surge tank, s15 pfc.

Type of turbo: 3071

Trim of turbo: 56T 71mm compressor .5ar housing, 84T 60mm GT30 turbine .63 housing

Rear Exhaust housing: .63 non gated

When does vehicle begin boost: dunno

When does vehicle reach full boost and what PSI: 20psi@3600

Does the vehicle have Cams? if so; yep

What brand: Unigroup spec camtechs,

What lift/duration etc: 255 11.5 in 260 12.0 ex

Max power achieve at what boost: 285rwkw@21psi on ultimate

I believe what he meant is the 28ss1 turbo made same power as a real gt3071 with 100 RPMs better response. So fitting it to above SR would result same power with better response.

I reckon it's in the cam timing as my car does fine without the VCT, tbh I wouldn't change it. The delivery is aggressive and the motor breathes very well down low. BUT I don't think stao will want that, I believe he will want the VCT working to demonstrate the best response possible from his product. So I agree with by_rpm in that he needs to fix his VCT and dial the cams to correct position before proceeding.

V28 I reckon it's something in your setup as the v2 should work great. Look at your vacuum line setup and your preload. If in Sydney and need a trained eye at a low price drop me a PM.

The T2 3071 just isn't a great turbo. I remember having a quick chat to Jez about it when I saw one at his place. He said tuning that vs my t3 turbo was completely different. Mine loves timing, but the smaller version was hating it. I think the most Jez got out of the t2 was 260ish from memory.

Yeah but he said he had the full gt3071r turbine ended 60mm but fitted with a t2 housing they usually come t3 and the cropped t2 gt3071r only has a 56.5mm turbine

Look at this

http://www.hardtuned.net/forums/index.phpshowtopic=520672&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Low mounted std manifold t2 gtx3071r but ext gate

So it's definately not the t2 housing holding it back 320rwkw

Edited by hy_rpm

GTX3071 is different, that is equivalent to a 3076 turbo. Which will make more power.

Here is some photo of the 3071 that came out of mine:

front.jpg

rear.jpg

^^

Definitely the proper GT3071.

I've done few extra drawings for a couple of different compressor and turbine wheels. Will be getting them made after the new year holidays.

Yeah definately looks to have a larger turbine as it comes very close to the int gate <br />I know the gtx3071r has a larger compressor just saying that it wasn't the turbine side of it holding the power back or t2 housing and they still share the same turbine still but

Cool thanks. I wonder if my V2 is just a temperamental unit ... I'm tempted to swap it over to a V1 or a Turbosmart boost tee, or even a simple EBC like the Gizzmo one. However I will check the pre-load setting first.

As FYI: I fitted another HDi SBC-R like mine last night, to an S15. Result was flawless. Wen't from 7psi creeping to 11psi (no boost control prior) to now holding 15psi from threshold to redline.

Once again I am happy with this ebc.

• 2 weeks later...

New turbo is in my future I think so I've got a few Q's...

I'm aiming for around the 260-270rwkw mark but want the install to be as seamless and look as factory as possible.

1. Should I get a high-flow of my factory turbo or SS1PU? I want response but while maximizing top-end power without losing efficiency in higher revs. Only thing I have to compare to is my mates R34 which was running 260rwkw with a 2871. I liked the power delivery of that turbo. Which high-flow service? Standard? 'Wild'? etc?

2. From what I've read the SS1PU uses a thicker exhaust flange which causes fitment issues between dump pipe and A/C or firewall?

3. Are aftermarket intake pipes needed for any of the above? Would prefer to stick with the stock rubber hoses.

4. Are actuators supplied with any of the above or do I have to source my own/use factory item?

Any other turbo suggestions are welcome too..

I can read dyno charts all day but would prefer some qualitative feedback in layman's terms.

Cheers!

Edited by colourclassic

^^

Standard high flow will be fine.

Another some thing interesting to look at is my modified exhaust manifold with external gate. Yes did run into few issues with the actual gate running into the fire wall which is all yet sorted.:

incarfront.jpg

incarside.jpg

Positioned the gate away from things could be burnt as possible. We should be able to compare results based on using both internal and external gates.

Plus I remembered that about year and half ago I've done few dyno runs with exhaust housing mounted external gates, which we can use results from to calculate a percentage difference between manifold and turbine housing mounted external gate setups.

^^^

Trailed the new OP6 R34 high flow profile today.

With factory manifold + external gate assembly above, it maxed at 376rwkws on 24psi. That is very decent amount of power considering a $850 high flow service, $350 gate and couple of hours of marking around. I guess no real need of a high mount kit any more.

I've also done a back to back test of having the same turbocharger running on both internal and external. Above external gate setup have made an extra 21rwkws with more torque based on the same boost.

Uploading videos now, Will post up results when I get a working scanner tomorrow.

And Happy new year every one. :merli:

• Like 1