SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Since I'm going back to stock exhaust manifold I've made some alterations.

The briefing:

About that debate of where to attached an external gate to, my opinion was to T piece two side logs from factory exhaust manifold and externally gate.

I want the flexibility of running either internal or external gate.

Well I originally thought it would be an simple easy job which turned out to be very complicated and involving. Probably not something for average Johns to complete in his garage.

Ok here is a first attempt of what I've done to mine:

After measuring what might be going where. I've drilled two 30mm wholes on top of both collectors:

manifoldstart2holes.jpg

I've used 30mm dia Steam pipes and bridged them together:

tpieceon.jpg

tpiecefront.jpg

A Vband O ring is made and welded onto the end T piece. Note I've cut the 90 degrees pipe at center of elbow which gives me an average dia of 43mm.

tpiecevbandback.jpg

tpiecevbandon.jpg

The gate is positioned with screamer welded, This is our 50mm HPVA gate. The one used on my brae high mount manifold was the first one ever made couple of years ago.

gateweldedon.jpg

Screamer pipe bolted on:

gateweldedoback.jpg

gateweldedonfront.jpg

So for an externally gated setup this is completed. About the bit that what if I only wish to run an internal gate:

A blank was made, allowing the external gate can be removed.

gatebockedfront.jpg

gateblockedback.jpg

Here it is. It took about two days to complete, booked in for tuning next week and hopefully not too much behind what it was with Brae high mount.

By the way SSx Alpha turbochargers internally gated bolton version is been made. Evaluations will be conducted with results to follow.

Since results from the 21U high flows has been reviewed. I'm using the same chra combination for a OP6 rear. If I can get it to perform towards 350rwkws mark E85 then it means this turbocharger will be capable of making 300rwkws based on pump 98 fuel. That would be job well done for a high flow.

This particular one is in roller bearing, same to whats been used in side the SS Alpha series. I'm planing to put some Ks on it during Xmas, testing the longevity of those bearings used against heat and high back pressure usually find in high flowing applications.

turboon.jpg

Still running the SS4 Alpha tune, It comes in reasonably early.

enginebay.jpg

Unfortunately the bit of screamer pipe I've made for my external gate is too long causing the gate to rub on the heater hoses. That part will be remade, photos will be updated once event occurs.

Some updates.

rfront.jpg

Since I'm waiting for my next tune I've spent some time with the new SR20det. The GT3071 in .64 came out. and now replaced with a much more responsively ATR28SS1 turbocharger:

ss1turbo.jpg

ss1fitted.jpg

I'm not a very big fan with the .64 rear housings as it turn to chocks the SR in upper revs. So for this Sr20det I've was fitted with a .86 FNT turbine housing, and for any one whom haven't read earlier post the ATR28SS1 has a 63mm compressor wheel.

few other thing I've noticed that the SR20s are much harder to work with, replacing the GT3071 turbocharger took me almost 6 hours to complete in which replacing a Rb25det turbocharger would take me less then 2 hours.

Even the Tar weight between a S14 and R33 is only 50KGs how ever this S14's chassis felt much lighter then the R33 (might because half of it is fiberglass) . Not only in driving around in corners but also by pushing them around in the workshop.

Any way, a dead fuel pump, a bad cluster and a wrongly connected electric fan explained the random cut out pretty well. Means it run lean and dry most of times, with the electric fan blowing at a wrong direction this car would have been overheated and shutting down once so often, the malfunction cluster would inform the driver that nothing should be worried about. A touch of the Gizmmo ebc indicate this engine has been running 24psi most of its life after been fitted into this chassis since the end of 2011. In which I really appreciate the honesty and generosity of the seller, experienced none of the problems that I've mentioned perhaps, and decided to leave this car at his parent's garage collecting dust.

How ever the cosmetic side of things do looking pretty good. And every single bolt on it has been lock-tight, which would be my misery pulling them apart.

On the positive side it is much better to drive now. boost comes in nice and early, torque pulls all the way to red. With some luck I might be seeing 230rwkws mark on Pump 98 fuel this Friday.

anyone know if this is a good fit for a Hypergear SS2 + spacer plate on the stock manifold?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/long-m10x1-25-turbo-exhaust-stud-and-nut-kit-x4-SR20-GT30-GT35-T3-Nissan-/221336702551

Please let me know when you find some as my current stainless ones just warp and my turbo keeps coming loose. Hanaldo and others suggested trying to find Inconel studs are they are supposed to be heat proof?

Some updates.

rfront.jpg

Since I'm waiting for my next tune I've spent some time with the new SR20det. The GT3071 in .64 came out. and now replaced with a much more responsively ATR28SS1 turbocharger:

ss1turbo.jpg

ss1fitted.jpg

I'm not a very big fan with the .64 rear housings as it turn to chocks the SR in upper revs. So for this Sr20det I've was fitted with a .86 FNT turbine housing, and for any one whom haven't read earlier post the ATR28SS1 has a 63mm compressor wheel.

few other thing I've noticed that the SR20s are much harder to work with, replacing the GT3071 turbocharger took me almost 6 hours to complete in which replacing a Rb25det turbocharger would take me less then 2 hours.

Even the Tar weight between a S14 and R33 is only 50KGs how ever this S14's chassis felt much lighter then the R33 (might because half of it is fiberglass) . Not only in driving around in corners but also by pushing them around in the workshop.

Any way, a dead fuel pump, a bad cluster and a wrongly connected electric fan explained the random cut out pretty well. Means it run lean and dry most of times, with the electric fan blowing at a wrong direction this car would have been overheated and shutting down once so often, the malfunction cluster would inform the driver that nothing should be worried about. A touch of the Gizmmo ebc indicate this engine has been running 24psi most of its life after been fitted into this chassis since the end of 2011. In which I really appreciate the honesty and generosity of the seller, experienced none of the problems that I've mentioned perhaps, and decided to leave this car at his parent's garage collecting dust.

How ever the cosmetic side of things do looking pretty good. And every single bolt on it has been lock-tight, which would be my misery pulling them apart.

On the positive side it is much better to drive now. boost comes in nice and early, torque pulls all the way to red. With some luck I might be seeing 230rwkws mark on Pump 98 fuel this Friday.

I'm very interested to see your results with the FNT 0.86 rear housing. So for clarification its an ss1PU right?

^ Neg, its an SS1.

It's smaller than an SS1PU, the older SS1PU like ours has a 71mm comp wheel but the SS1 has a 63mm wheel. Both SS1 and SS1PU use the same turbine section however.

The new SS1PU has a bigger turbine and a 74mm comp wheel.

Yes the SS1 is smaller then the SS1PU. I'm finding that the diesel turbocharger configuration worked better for SR20s as in keeping the chra size down for response while using a large size turbine end for mid-top range torque. How ever have to see what the dyno says once its been tuned.

Another some thing interesting to look at is my modified exhaust manifold with external gate. Yes did run into few issues with the actual gate running into the fire wall which is all yet sorted.:

incarfront.jpg

incarside.jpg

Positioned the gate away from things could be burnt as possible. We should be able to compare results based on using both internal and external gates.

Plus I remembered that about year and half ago I've done few dyno runs with exhaust housing mounted external gates, which we can use results from to calculate a percentage difference between manifold and turbine housing mounted external gate setups.

Please let me know when you find some as my current stainless ones just warp and my turbo keeps coming loose. Hanaldo and others suggested trying to find Inconel studs are they are supposed to be heat proof?

how about these ones?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200643935383

Also Stao you said the M10x1.25 would fit in your reply email, however people have confirmed it's M10x1.5 for the manfold to turbo studs

how about these ones?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200643935383

Also Stao you said the M10x1.25 would fit in your reply email, however people have confirmed it's M10x1.5 for the manfold to turbo studs

They will work. The std studs are tricky because the thread into the manifold is 1.5 but the thread on the end that has the nut is 1.25.

I just used bolts from Super cheap auto. They are the hex bolts on the stands, I just cut off the hex head. The stock thread is in M10x1.5.

One newer turbocharger for SR20det is the ATR28SS15. This one has the exact layout the SS1PU except with blade diameter reduced to 68mm. My prediction would be close to 250rwkws on pump 98 fuel, except there are many variances with SR20dets. It is also made to work with a .86 rear housing in combination with a large 38mm internal gate. In which the turbine side shouldn't be chocking the engine in upper revs.

ss15.jpg

ss15rear.JPG

This is a SS2 turbocharger that is made to run on externally gated off exhaust housing (modified by M35 Scotty) with a 3 inches Vband rear assembly:

atr43ss2front.jpg

atr43ss2vbandlarge2.jpg

Stao

Any results on the stock manifold modifications?

If you gain anything note worthy, i would be more than happy to be a guinea pig with my ATR43, as i currently run stock manifold on p100.

( hope to have some form of external gate before Racewars in april :) )