SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

This was on the new 21U r33 hiflow.

E85 touching 20psi backing off to 17.5-18.

It was wheelspinning uncontrollably on the dyno. Managed to get a 306kw run but it was still spinning.

you can see how the power curve goes dead flat. I was sitting on the boot lid getting covered in shreds of rubber. tyres were cooked.

svHhsW8.jpg

Tuned by Toshi, who did a great job on it. I would recommend to anyone in Sydney.

Great result, but it isn't getting strapped down enough. Lowering the tyre pressure a little and strapping it down hard will lower the output so you only need to do it just enough to stop the wheelspin. Unless the dyno rollers have worn cross hatching? Either way it is very limiting.

How do you think the workshop would go with 600kw rwd cars if they are having issues with yours...

Semis usually lower power readings

But that dynos readings ain't high or happy

My brother got his s13 tuned there by toshi made 210rwkw and netted him a 13.0 @111mph at Wsid so it's pretty accurate

That is a very good result should take it to the creek and see what time it can run

It should be in the 120mph region

I think so. he wasn't comfortable with that amount of boost at first but the car performed well and made heaps more power as we kept adding boost

Toshi is regarded as a conservative tuner, the remaps he makes are really safe and so with his other tunes I've seen..

I plugged up a PLMS cable and tracked the Ignition timing and you can tell he doesn't tune for numbers rather for longevity and driveability.

He's pretty good, gave me a few pointers too with my tune on a mate's S15 (something professional tuners WILL NEVER DO, but he did top bloke :) )

^^

Yes the ATR46 is some thing for that application.

Stock cams are back. Big thanks to: boostn0199 whom have donated a stock exhaust cam while mine broke. So factory cams are back in and working sweet.

Today's dyno run was trailing the newer version of ATR43SS4 Alpha turbocharger, not as huge as the previous one which I would like to call that the ATR43SS-5. I sort of like the power while it made based on the ATR45 (3540 equivalent) how ever couldn't get much drive ability out of it due to the lag. So this one is made to mach the HP as the ATR45 how ever with much better response, down low torque and on road drive ability.

turbofront.jpg

So The final figure was 435rwkws @ 25.5psi and peeked 709Mn of torque. This is not at the maximum capability of this turbocharger how ever probably is for my current con-rods.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Now compare to the ATR45 which I've dynoed Feb this year that made astonishing 431rwkws during the time:

atr45vspower.jpg

atr45vsboost.jpg

This is much better to drive on road. very strong and wide power band with crazy power up top. Very happy with today's result.

Nice work, i was wondering if you where going to build something like that, as i thought that was the original ss4 brief, nice work once again

where does the vnt actuator go?, as in does it go where you usually fit your internal wastegate actuator?(looks like it) i can't remember if i have even seen

a photo of it out of a engine bay

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

Thanks for the support. Here is a photo of the engine bay:

enginebay.jpg

I do need an another manifold made to suit the VNT actuator.

having 3540's power while not the lag was the main goal for the SS4. I was also hopping to reach 20psi by 4000RPMs. This one is reaching 20psi by 4100 it is also pretty sweet. The whole turbine and compressor end of this turbocharger had to be re-engineered on a different perspective compare to the traditional ATR45. Because ceramic roller bearings cartridges used no longer have bearing cages and does not require as much lubrication as steel ball bearings, I've re-engineered the oil delivery system inside the bearing housing reducing oil drag when pump pressure is high. This turbocharger is probably one of the most time consuming turbocharger built so far.

Other good thing about it is the disappearance of a torque dip in 3000~3500RPM area. On road it has a very linear pull without flat spots or sudden accelerations. Definitely a satisfying out come.

I will be modifying this car back to standard, there are few tricks that I have in mind with fabricating standard Rb25det exhaust manifold for greater output, while trailing a couple of different high flow profiles.

Will any one high mount a factory turbocharger and run it externally gated if it is good enough for a super responsive 350rwkws+? I think the best package has already been delivered by Nissan, that is waiting to be crafted.

Edited by hyper-gear

^^

Yes the ATR46 is some thing for that application.

Stock cams are back. Big thanks to: boostn0199 whom have donated a stock exhaust cam while mine broke. So factory cams are back in and working sweet.

Today's dyno run was trailing the newer version of ATR43SS4 Alpha turbocharger, not as huge as the previous one which I would like to call that the ATR43SS-5. I sort of like the power while it made based on the ATR45 (3540 equivalent) how ever couldn't get much drive ability out of it due to the lag. So this one is made to mach the HP as the ATR45 how ever with much better response, down low torque and on road drive ability.

turbofront.jpg

So The final figure was 435rwkws @ 25.5psi and peeked 709Mn of torque. This is not at the maximum capability of this turbocharger how ever probably is for my current con-rods.

power.jpg

:woot: waoo 435rwkws with 200rwkws by 4000RPMs out of a Rb25det. Pretty crazy if you guys high flow a turbo to do this I high mount it.

To convert the SS2 to external all it needs is an flange I can supply one for $40 delivered.

Haha yes SS6 Alpha, maybe when I get serious with XR6 turbos. Looking to pickup a S14 this weekend and doing some SR stuff.

Mine is ss2 ext gate and it just has a plate with a v band flange bolted in place of the nissan dump and the int gate welded shut from memory. Ill see if I can find a photo