SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Then one day there's an issue with your waste gate, etc.. you hit those cells that have bogus interpolated/linearised numbers and POP... (well hopefully whoever has tuned it has plugged in safe numbers so it never happens, but it's possible).

I bet most of the cars out there tuned by shitty shops will have cells that have the base map ignition values.. on the dyno those values probably won't be loaded, till they decide to climb a hill in 5th then pop.

Can't agree more, too much of that "she'll be right" attitude going around. Then there's the guys who think tuning is a simple set air/fuel, set timing(no knock detection, but if they can't hear it "she'll be right hey") and boost it to Jesus, if that was the case any monkey with a laptop could tune. Not many people know how to tune themselves so they are at the mercy of the shop they are at. That's why i started learning on my own and plan to do the tuning course at unigroup.

I don't think it matters If you will always be running fixed boost level. Ie. 18psi . because the Timing and fuel distribution table is running based on scale of RPM to PSI. So it will always be running on those cells of the timing / Fuel table.

How ever if different boost level is used then the data in reference to the active cell might not be accurate, starting from low moving to high is more of inputting cell data in those areas, for it to work accordingly regardless of what ever boost is used to the highest boost level.

So having said all those if the minimum boost level on the turbocharger is set to 16psi and maximum is 20psi then realistically it will only need the data responding to within those boost changes.

This is incorrect.

Per my prior instructions in order to achieve an optimal tune state a tuner needs to first run the car with minimal boost, tune it aggressively at that level, and then use that particular tune state to progress the tune onto higher boost.

Only then can the car have a minimum boost of 16psi and be considered acceptable. But for the sake of tuning it is essential that low boost can be run.

Can't agree more, too much of that "she'll be right" attitude going around. Then there's the guys who think tuning is a simple set air/fuel, set timing(no knock detection, but if they can't hear it "she'll be right hey") and boost it to rajab, if that was the case any monkey with a laptop could tune. Not many people know how to tune themselves so they are at the mercy of the shop they are at. That's why i started learning on my own and plan to do the tuning course at unigroup.

Good on ya!

More self tuners on this forum, we need them. I find when anyone talks about tuning, the immediate response is "go to a tuner, go to XYZ, etc" maybe that person wants to learn and do some self tuning because they are interested.

I rarely talk about tuning here anymore, just always get shut down by arrogant people and tuners.

I think it's more a case of, if you need to ask, it's probably better you take it to a tuner. There are much better forums to ask for tuning info imo.

That said, good on you for having the balls to perhaps blow your engine. :P

LOL saying that I've only ever tuned cars with moderate mods smallish bolt on turbos. Will be fun tuning the SS2 once it's on my car :D

I make boost cruising at 60 in 4th, you can hear it spool and feel the torque increase, by 2500 its making like 10psi

Bollocks Rolls. If your car was making boost cruising at 60 in 4th, then your fuel consumption would be absolutely shitful. The fact that you can get it to make boost at that speed in that gear is a whole 'nother matter.

Cruising at 60 in 4th you have only a very small throttle opening, very low load, low gas flow and hence no boost. Open up the throttle and you increase gas flow and start to make boost, sure. But that is a very different thing to making boost at cruise at 60.

After asking a couple friends, they weren't confident on their knowledge on turbo's, so I've decided to ask the SAU community this..

Which is the best turbo for a R34 GTT with after market intercooler, ECU, injectors and a Plazmaman plenum?

http://www.hypergearturbos.com/turbocharger.html

I assume I'm only able to get an internally gated turbo too?

I'm gonna take a punt and guess the ATR43SS is my best option?

Also what other accessories (pipes, wirings) do I need because I assume my current stock won't work.

Thanks in advance.

After asking a couple friends, they weren't confident on their knowledge on turbo's, so I've decided to ask the SAU community this..

Which is the best turbo for a R34 GTT with after market intercooler, ECU, injectors and a Plazmaman plenum?

http://www.hypergearturbos.com/turbocharger.html

I assume I'm only able to get an internally gated turbo too?

I'm gonna take a punt and guess the ATR43SS is my best option?

Also what other accessories (pipes, wirings) do I need because I assume my current stock won't work.

Thanks in advance.

The best? There is no best. There is only what suits your desired application.

Before we can answer what would be best, answer these questions for us.

How much power are you aiming for?

How much money are you willing to spend?

Do you want it to be legal or not? (highmount + screamer etc)

My opinion is just go for hypergears new highflow, bolts back on and capable of a lot of power.

The best? There is no best. There is only what suits your desired application.

Before we can answer what would be best, answer these questions for us.

My opinion is just go for hypergears new highflow, bolts back on and capable of a lot of power.

Sorry, when I meant 'the best', I meant most suitable for my car, but I understand that my desires do have a factor.

Now to answer your questions:

Currently, my car is underpowered due to a boost leak. But I'd be happy with whatever the turbo I end up purchasing puts out.

Money isn't too big of an issue, as the price range from the products on their site doesn't vary too much.

Legal.

Just read about their highflow service (http://www.hypergearturbos.com/highflow.htm).

From what I made of it, it uses the existing turbo but adds a few new pieces?

If so, I'm looking to purchase a completely new turbocharger, as although we haven't identified where the boost leak is coming from, I may as well upgrade the turbo anyway.

Thanks a lot for the reply and I realise I have plenty to learn.

Well if your target HP range is around the 260rwkws mark with mild boost level while retaining factory driving ability then the factory high flowed turbocharger is perfect for this application.

We now offer an exchange service, Which you don't need to send us your turbocharger upfront. Means we will send you a high flowed turbocharger for $950 including braided oil feeding line. After installation send us your blown factory turbocharger for a $100 cash back.

Well if your target HP range is around the 260rwkws mark with mild boost level while retaining factory driving ability then the factory high flowed turbocharger is perfect for this application.

We now offer an exchange service, Which you don't need to send us your turbocharger upfront. Means we will send you a high flowed turbocharger for $950 including braided oil feeding line. After installation send us your blown factory turbocharger for a $100 cash back.

My stock turbo might not be blown.

Can I keep that and you keep the $100? :)

However that does sound good.

I'll email/ring you guys soon.

Edited by Swole

What for? if you want less headache, plug & play and moderate power just stick to the stock plenum. Useless upgrade if you're not a dyno queen.

Not always useless, can help fit healthier sized motors ;)

Otherwise I am a stock plenum advocate, too. But he did mention it as part of his existing mods list, so I assume gtr jet is on the money.

lol I definitely think its a fitment and asthetic mod.. In which case I support it.

Hell, I am going to rewire my entire car for sake of fitment and asthetics. I'd be mad not to use a FFP if it was to help in the same forum.

• Like 1