SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Some updates from SS-4 Alpha ptotoype 1.

This turbocharger made 465rwkws on 24psi maxing out the 850cc injectors that is installed without gain additional lag. With a set of 1200ccs on 29psi it should be getting very close to 500rwkws mark. Big thanks to chequered tuning again.

Thick yellow is from today, the rest is the controlled run.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Installing the injectors today and found after the cam change the VCT is no longer working. So this result is a RB25det with no VCT. Try to diagnose the problem at moment.

Here's some results from a fresh install this week. The car is an R34 GTT automatic (Tiptronic) that originally had 150rwkw stock and then 199rwkw with basic bolt-ons, a bit of boost and Nistune.

The setup:

• Hypergear ATR43-SS2 internally gated on stock manifold
  • Stock airbox and snorkel
  • K&N panel filter
  • Z32 AFM
  • Scotty's 3" intake pipe
  • Trust turn flow intercooler
  • Turbotech V2 manual boost controller
  • Yellow Jacket coil packs
  • NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs regapped
  • Deatchwerks 800cc injectors
  • Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
  • JJR 3" bellmouth front/dump (modified)
  • X-Force high flow cat
  • 3" HKS Super Drager cat back (modified)
  • Davies Craig Hydra Cool 678 auto trans cooler
  • Nistune

Result: 257rwkw @ ~17psi, BP 98 Octane
Installed and tuned by Chasers

This is a fairly conservative tune. The car needs a better boost controller, possibly a pod intake, and a shift kit. The 2-3 gear change is ok but 1-2 is flaring and not getting power to the ground.

It's definitely a much bigger turbo than the stock one, which affects the response. However, when it goes on boost it pulls great. The installation is fairly involved as it's a very tight fit: there's maybe 2mm between the actuator and the chassis. A lot of the intake, intercooler and exhaust piping needed work, too. So if you're looking for a true bolt-on at this power level definitely look into the high flows as well :)

dyno_sheet_2013.jpg

Please don't put a pod on it, the stock airbox is fine for well over that power. Nice result for the boost level anyway.

If the box is starting to slip, that is where the power will be lost. (although there was no slip in that graph by the looks of it.) You will definitely need a shift kit soon, or you may be up for an expensive rebuild.

Please don't put a pod on it, the stock airbox is fine for well over that power. Nice result for the boost level anyway.

If the box is starting to slip, that is where the power will be lost. (although there was no slip in that graph by the looks of it.) You will definitely need a shift kit soon, or you may be up for an expensive rebuild.

Cheers Scott, and thanks again for your help in preparing for the build! Yep I think the airbox itself fine, just wondering how far the snorkel will go. And yes no slip just flaring especially on that 1-2 gear change, which will need some attention soon.

Cheers Scott, and thanks again for your help in preparing for the build! Yep I think the airbox itself fine, just wondering how far the snorkel will go. And yes no slip just flaring especially on that 1-2 gear change, which will need some attention soon.

It did take away 12kws in power at 285rwkws with airbox when I trailed it few years ago, and my air box turned burning hot. Just drill holes on the lid. that makes noticeable difference. Boost drop might be relating to it as the box can't flow the amount of air required. That makes the exhaust side hotter as gain higher shaft speed would require much higher energy.

I'm going to think about moving the actuator bracket onto the turbine housing end that would leave more room for the compressor housing.

Good result for a stock auto, the numbers are higher then I originally anticipated.

Then again Stao, your results maxed the flow of the stock exhaust manifold at 310kw, and now I know there is 430kw in it at least. Each setup will give differing results.

The goal with your turbo's is to leave the engine bay looking stock imo, giving away a couple of kw is nothing if it means no defect... Suggesting 4 inch intakes and pod filters is fine if the owner is chasing every kw attainable but if that is the case a highmount manifold 4 inch exhaust and screamer is just as important right?

Trent and I played with the airbox, lid, no lid etc etc when i had the GT-T - no difference. 285-290rwkw E85 OP6 highflow, one of the original HG turbos :D 17-18psi i believe. Manual.

Stao, do you have any VNT turbos running in cars other than your own? How do you think they will handle motorsport applications?

I'd be very tempted to try it in a twin low-mount on my GTR (if it can fit) but given costs involved in working on GTR turbos :mad: i'd like to know i wouldn't be taken them off again for a refresh etc after a few track days

yeah pretty sure he trialed mine with the airbox lid off too and it made no real noticable difference..

Trent and I played with the airbox, lid, no lid etc etc when i had the GT-T - no difference. 285-290rwkw E85 OP6 highflow, one of the original HG turbos :D 17-18psi i believe. Manual.

Then again Stao, your results maxed the flow of the stock exhaust manifold at 310kw, and now I know there is 430kw in it at least. Each setup will give differing results.

The goal with your turbo's is to leave the engine bay looking stock imo, giving away a couple of kw is nothing if it means no defect... Suggesting 4 inch intakes and pod filters is fine if the owner is chasing every kw attainable but if that is the case a highmount manifold 4 inch exhaust and screamer is just as important right?

Both on E85 etc?

+1 for expensive gearbox rebuild...twice ;)

+1 for no pod needed at that power level.. or changing the snorkel

Cheers Greg, your injectors work great as you can see! And with toughening up/rebuilding the box, hopefully I'll do it just once :)

I'm going to think about moving the actuator bracket onto the turbine housing end that would leave more room for the compressor housing.

Good result for a stock auto, the numbers are higher then I originally anticipated.

Thanks Stao, also for your help in picking the turbo for this application. I think you were spot on with your power estimate actually!

Interesting. I spoke with the guys at Chasers and apparently they did a run without the snorkel and lid and there was only 4 or so rwkw more in it, so hardly worth it.

Cheers for the input everyone.

Btw I worked out some driveline loss figures today: the stock flywheel kw 206 returned 150rwkw (on 98), which is about 27% loss. Assuming the same loss percentage the new 257 rwkw would be about 350 kw at the engine. Not too bad for a 15 year old unopened engine :)

My goal is to build a bolt on turbocharger for an average RB25det engine, that produces the most power as possible while still drives good. The new SS2 has had bit of thoughts and evaluations to it as it was engineered to work with internal gate, and the results gathered from few customer's cars reviewed that it managed to hold boost pretty well in upper revs, So i think that boost dip might be contributing to the air box, actuator preloading or a boost controller. Any way I found 12kws difference having lid on and lid off when I trailed mine, looking stock does cost power, how ever if this is a road car then that few kws doesn't worth the hassle.

Stao, do you have any VNT turbos running in cars other than your own? How do you think they will handle motorsport applications?

I'd be very tempted to try it in a twin low-mount on my GTR (if it can fit) but given costs involved in working on GTR turbos :mad: i'd like to know i wouldn't be taken them off again for a refresh etc after a few track days

Not sure about the roller bearings, how ever the VNT Setup is pretty reliable, After evaluation I can lend it to you for dyno runs for the effects there might be on a RB26det engine.

Also it appears the VCT is not responding after the cams change, which I will check that again with Trent. Any one got any feedbacks on adjustable cam gears to the exhaust side?

Not sure about the roller bearings, how ever the VNT Setup is pretty reliable, After evaluation I can lend it to you for dyno runs for the effects there might be on a RB26det engine.

Also it appears the VCT is not responding after the cams change, which I will check that again with Trent. Any one got any feedbacks on adjustable cam gears to the exhaust side?

not looking to go highmount on the 26 :) - would have to be low mount twin option, so i don't think your trial turbo will be that useful.

what sort of response loss would you expect from not using the roller bearings?

Trent and i talked about VCT on exhaust side on the 26, didn't seem to be worth the hassle from what Trent said. Maybe why HKS ditched the idea for their 26 R+D

For the GTR to get the full potential of the VNT system I probably be recommending some thing like two SS1PU in .86 rear housings. I've made one at current stage that is chocking the RB25det down low. How ever might be working perfectly with a 1.25L 3 CYC engine. Just depending on how much room there is to fit the assembly.

for size comparison, how would the SS1PU .86 compared to a -5 or HKS 2530?

an ss1pu is similarly sized to a -10/gtrs (core). However those turbos are normally sold in a .64 configuration, especially on a GTR so you will find twin .86 ss1pu to be quite laggy on a 2.6

Just come back from Trents. and a little update on our new R33 high flowed turbocharger. This is the result from current standard high flow profile priced at $860 inc oil feeding line.

Result take from SxxRicho's R33 skyline, stock engine, factory manifold internally gated on E85

Dumped 2 degrees of timing up top making it extra safe for tracks.

Thick red: 322rwkws, Thin red was 312rwkws, Green which is 294rwkws

power.jpg

boost.jpg