SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The ss1pu is abit larger turbo hence why it's slighty laggier but has scope for more power than mine

It's will proberly just need a touch up tune cause it was a fresh engine when they tuned it so they proberly set the airflow limit low to be safe and plus the weather didn't help

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity what upgrades can be applied to the SS1PU? Can the journal bearing core be swapped out for ball bearing, steel or ceramic? And the rear fnt/vnt housings? I've been following this thread very closely but I'm still not certain what changes can be made. I'm looking to move my power curve to the left as far as possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuff in side the T2x bearing housing doens't make alot of differences wither they are ball bearing or not, mainly due to the sizes of their wheels and Its already been fitted with low friction bearings and collars. So to make it more responsive it has either to be a VNT setup or alternative compressor wheel.

Yes I've already made few alternative compressor wheels in smaller dia meter that's probably better suited for the turbine wheel and long stroke engines. I will test it out next next Wednesday. there is one more interesting result in relation to the FNT .86 turbine on a 4cyc engine. I will scan it later this evening

Sounds exciting Stao. So just to clarify I can change out the turbine housing on my SS1PU to a VNT turbine housing, did I understand correctly?s And this will help move the power curve to the left? Cheers.

Edited by MoJizzy

Just fitted my 20psi actuator preloaded 3 turns and set boost

Hovers around 23-24psi all the way to redline

So did the trick low boost is now 20-21psi

Can't wait to take it to the drags and claim my 11sec slip just got to replace my diff as its single spinning which will hurt my take off

Just fitted my 20psi actuator preloaded 3 turns and set boost

Hovers around 23-24psi all the way to redline

So did the trick low boost is now 20-21psi

Can't wait to take it to the drags and claim my 11sec slip just got to replace my diff as its single spinning which will hurt my take off

Sounds good. Im also running 20psi. Just scored an R33 ABS auto diff with 4.3's in it. Just trying to source an LSD to suit, bang in some coilovers and hit the drags. What kind of power u making at 20psi?

Not sure but before when I got it tuned made 252rwkw but boost control was pritty bad 25psi spike dropping to 21psi

Ill see what it runs at the creek I'm pritty confident ill run 120mph plus trap speed as last outing pulled a 12.4 @122mph with kando turbo

Not sure but before when I got it tuned made 252rwkw but boost control was pritty bad 25psi spike dropping to 21psi

Ill see what it runs at the creek I'm pritty confident ill run 120mph plus trap speed as last outing pulled a 12.4 @122mph with kando turbo

Did you have cams? I'm not running any and making 236rwkw, I would expect around that mark with cams. Good luck at the drags!

Sounds good. Im also running 20psi. Just scored an R33 ABS auto diff with 4.3's in it. Just trying to source an LSD to suit, bang in some coilovers and hit the drags. What kind of power u making at 20psi?

Coilovers would probably slower than stock shocks because they will probably be a lot stiffer

Yeah just running lowered springs and tomei damper adjustible shocks rear and coilovers up fr

Mojizzy My car had poncams aswell you should get a extra 20kw from cams but powerband will shift to the right but hit harder once it comes on hence the extra power

Ss1pu and atr28g2 are complete different turbos mines older tech and smaller where the ss1pu has larger wheels billet and new tech so should make more power

Possibly going to this year aim towards getting my SS1PU on E85.
Stao how much did you say that you think it could make on E85?

Also will my HKS 555 injectors be suited for E85?

I know they probably will limit the power I can push but does anyone have an idea of how much power they could flow

Can someone explain to me what causes too much exhaust back pressure?

Finally got the car tuned today on a build motor

Made 284 rwkw

Specs are a built forged, ported motor. SS2 turbo internal gate. 98 octane. Brae manifold, 3 inch JJR, not car, 3 inch hks cat back exhaust.

1003319_689099791104383_24690610_n.jpg

16601_689099761104386_1300471246_n.jpg

Trent said the turbo maybe a restriction. It had too much back pressure, causing the turbo to run hotter, and he couldnt run as much timing as he wanted too.

Stao said I have a 0.82 rear housing so it shouldn't be an issue

Car seamed to stop making power after 5-6k rpm

Does anyone have any ideas?

In saying that he said if I didnt have the restriction and it held boost I would be making ~ 330rwkw

Well, its not a bad result for internal gate. The older SS2 stopped making power on 312rwkws on pump 98 internally gated on Brae manifold. I'm wondering why is your brae manifold caused more lag then the China manifold I gave to you earlier, unless its made differently to mine.

The turbine housing is not small, it's identical to the other one that made 298rwkws, How ever if there is a restriction that stops the turbocharger from sucking or dispatching air then it will result in a boost drop, causes exhaust gas temp to rise as the turbine became harder to rotate. And there is nothing can be done on the turbocharger to avoid that.

Also I've noticed you've got a Hybrid (china) return flow. I suggest a pressure drop check. Basically connect your boost gauge to a cooler piping pre the intercooler and monitor the boost behavior.

boost2.jpg

exhaust restrictions: Blocked/Collapsed Cat Converter, Blocked/Collapsed Muffler, Exhaust or section size to small

Theres not a whole lot to worry about on a turbo car, If he thinks its an exhaust restriction start at the Cat and work back