SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Thanks for the feedbacks.

I can make it work with the GTR turbochargers, you will need to find room under the bonnet as they will need to run two actuators side by side.

I don't think there should be a reliability concern, concept is pretty solid and working well. I can make it working with your PU high flow as well, once again just need to find room to fit the additional actuator unless going high mount. It should knock lag off by about 500rpms.

Cummins/Holset turbos had a problem with VNT on truck engines. Was something to do with the variable vanes or actuator getting clogged with carbon and not allowing the vanes to fully open or close. The turbos have speed sensors in them so when this happens the speed of the shaft is too high or low and the engine de-rates

Vague random information. But its not a problem when there is no speed sensor, or at least there will be no major problem with the car. You will just have reduced performance or increased lag till its sorted.

This is an issue with specific turbos though and does not necessarily apply to stao's design. Im really looking forward to what happens with this in the next few months. So tempted to trade mine for a VNT still lol

interesting... could you advise on a price please? PM if you want.

would it be worth doing a ceramic bearing change at the same time? were the VNT units that you were testing ceramic rollers?

All sorted

Pre load was never sorted at install as I expected it was already set up, now I have to get it retuned as it's hitting 20psi when it was tuned to 16, lol.
Which means it was bypassing boost before it got a chance to build it, still laggy but not as bad, but now leaves lines at 1-2 change with half throttle :)

• Like 1

All sorted

Pre load was never sorted at install as I expected it was already set up, now I have to get it retuned as it's hitting 20psi when it was tuned to 16, lol.

Which means it was bypassing boost before it got a chance to build it, still laggy but not as bad, but now leaves lines at 1-2 change with half throttle :)

not all bad news after all! Small issue easily resolved and find a way to improve the performance also.

good work.

sorry, could be stupid question....

if we could make a twin low-mount VNT RB26 setup work, would you modify my HKS 2530's or would i need completely new units?

i cant see it fitting package wise on a gtr... would be awesome though.

interesting... could you advise on a price please? PM if you want.

would it be worth doing a ceramic bearing change at the same time? were the VNT units that you were testing ceramic rollers?

the bearing in these units are pretty extreme, we compared them to the best available turbocharger units and the hypergear ones are in another league. i cannot divulge the origins of Toa's bearing but they are very under stressed in a turbocharger application... they are originally designed for military aerospace applications and run at around $200-400 per unit... and there are multiple units per Hypergear turbo.

im pretty sure tao was looking to find a suitable test car that sees plenty of circuit work to complete proof of concept.

Again i am not endorsed or ever received anything from hypergear, im just excited about his new developments and i still believe this is the most interesting turbocharger to ever grace my shop.

Thanks for the feed backs.

I will be back with the SS1PU with VNT turbine next week, if test of it goes well with the Rb25det then I will leave this turbo with Trent for his Cefferio for some track work and in comparison to his current TD05h.

With the GTR I can modify the original -5 turbine housing you have with the VNT setups, the only problems is fitting 2nd actuator and bracket, which you might need to make some alterations under the engine bay to make extra room for. But apart from that it shouldn't be a issue.

Stao, i'll PM you

my ultimate setup

Super high compression 26

pistons to allow for the upgraded V-cam gear (more timing advancement)

Chequered Tuning V-Cam

Twin Hypergear 2530 VNT's

E85

add boost :D

bah!!! soooo tempted...

• Like 1

If I ever own another GTST it will have a Hypergear 2iu highflow.

That car is incredibly fast. 1:04 is incredibly fast. I am blown away.

That turbo has done a lot of track work now as well. The response and the way it delivers torque is amazing.

It does lack power in a straight line, but what can you expect for a little 21U housing.

Tao has tried many times to tempt me off this turbo. But I love it too much.