SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

What if JEM's dyno reads higher and they simply don't like tuning road cars that close to the limit? As you say, without both cars on the same dyno at the same time there are too many variables. Even strapping the cars down hard hurts performance on the rollers. I don't think Trents dyno is overly happy, perhaps within 10kw of everyone elses at that power, which isn't bad for a hubber.

Stao was having all sorts of issues getting a decent power output with the stock mani, once he changed it really opened up the top end, no matter the turbo.

Oorrrr what if JEM tune it more aggressive and it actually reads WAYYYY lower? Btw, there is no way I am suggesting that as indicating someone is squeezing SUBSTANTIALLY less power (ie 20-50kw) all other things being equality is ridiculous and I hope you are joking :P

Yeah agreed, Trents is very "reasonable" reading - have tried it myself and SAEJ1349 definitely reads significantly lower than the other correction methods but doesn't mean another dyno won't read lower. I'm not saying it will either, but there is a huge list of results there to build trends from.

I am not digging here, I am just OCD about getting facts straight so I can work out what to expect with this kind of thing - and it'd be a shame if people were deciding between two turbos (they can both be within the HG range) expecting x result and end up with x - 10% result. The numbers we are seeing here are very very good, especially for the money - and are genuinely giving more expensive turbos a bit of teaching... with recent results my curiosity is now more than piqued which is why I am trying to nail down a way of interpreting them. If someone has something more substantial than "Maybe JEM get way less power from cars" it'd be helpful to hear, as I would not hesitate to start pushing HG turbos locally. The same kind of process is what got me a fan of HTA turbos :)

BTW, the results from JEM we are talking about are FAR from having stock manifolds....

In 9 months time 5 years will have lapsed and I will be almost legal to drive again.. With the excitement of being back on the road I am sure I will make a road trip to VIC sooner or later, so will get a reading there if Stao can cover the run.

I will get a run done at JEM also (out of my own pocket) to compare between them and Unigroup for my own curiosity.

That should solve the puzzle for all :) We just need to wait.

EDIT:

As a point of interest... Stao had tested the SS1PU turbo on an SR at chequered also, which got 225kw on stock cams and 26Xkw on 272 cams..

My motor is fresh and was given a run in tune on a 45 degree day, with 256 cams I managed 234kw. I remember how the car felt on that day.... And know it is an enormous increment different to how it feels on a sub 30 degree day. I am confident I will walk on the test done at Chequered, and my tuning is done at Unigroup.

That would be pretty cool if you did do that, I'd be really interested to see the result myself. If I lived in Oz I'd do similar, we don't have Mainlines here (that I am aware of) and Dyno Dynamics are FAR inbetween. So when I am over I'll be more legal to drive on Oz roads than you? Roadtrip? ;)

In 9 months time 5 years will have lapsed and I will be almost legal to drive again.. With the excitement of being back on the road I am sure I will make a road trip to VIC sooner or later, so will get a reading there if Stao can cover the run.

I will get a run done at JEM also (out of my own pocket) to compare between them and Unigroup for my own curiosity.

That should solve the puzzle for all :) We just need to wait.

Lol good man! Will be interesting :)

That would be pretty cool if you did do that, I'd be really interested to see the result myself. If I lived in Oz I'd do similar, we don't have Mainlines here (that I am aware of) and Dyno Dynamics are FAR inbetween. So when I am over I'll be more legal to drive on Oz roads than you? Roadtrip? ;)

Lol keen much?

LOL this will be true. I can possibly arrange rego for then also, but its a 10 hour drive to VIC (plus the medial suburban shite) and I thought you had a full up schedule?!

Haha but that would be cool I must admit.

Hey Stao

My mate has a Pulsar GTIR with a built engine, i think he currently has a GT2871RS ( not entirely sure )
He wants more power, and still keeping the god dam quick boost he has.

Do you do anything for the gtir?
Or possibly rebuilding his current turbo with better internals.?

correct me if im wrong but isn't status tuning a hub dyno? which normally reads higher compared to a roller dyno ? something around the 15% higher?

Well I didn't find there are much differences between Status dyno and Mainlane they all within 5kws. The mileage reading from quarter mile run is a pretty good prediction for power level.

With ATR43G4 that I made 431rwkws with, that was running 28psi of boost. The turbocharger is equivalent to a 3582 in .70 comp and .82 turbine. its not much different compare to others using the same turbocharger at given boost level.

The SS3 is a large turbocharger, So it is expected to out put that level of power, Try the FP 3076 with a solid .70 none anti surge cover, it should be maxing out the same result using a lot less boost.

Had the CAS replaced, and the car is running fine now. It had the SS1PU down low feel and went crazy after the external gate opens. The Micky Thompson are now hopeless, wheel spinning from 4000 and on wards in third.

Hey Stao

My mate has a Pulsar GTIR with a built engine, i think he currently has a GT2871RS ( not entirely sure )

He wants more power, and still keeping the god dam quick boost he has.

Do you do anything for the gtir? Or possibly rebuilding his current turbo with better internals.?

Can run a ATR28SS1.5 that should be a more responsive version of the GT2871

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that Unigroup's and DVS-JEZ's dyno read within a poofteenth so results from them are fairly comparable.

These truly are the turbos built perfectly for our motors. I usually run 14psi all day every dsy with my ss2. Yesterday I wanted to test if the knock occurs on high boost and if it occurs earlier. I cracked out 18psi. My god this thing is brutal and it was on a slight uphill road. I remember after jez tuned my car we drove around on low boost which felt nice and strong plus better than my old tune. We kicked it into high boost and shit went off. Ive been in a r33 with a gt3582r and I can tell you that the ss2 dominates in every which way. Response, power delivery and driveability. You also dont need to run such high boost to achievr this. My old tune was 10psi and was making 244rwkw. Not many turbos will push that out of an rb.

These truly are the turbos built perfectly for our motors. I usually run 14psi all day every dsy with my ss2. Yesterday I wanted to test if the knock occurs on high boost and if it occurs earlier. I cracked out 18psi. My god this thing is brutal and it was on a slight uphill road. I remember after jez tuned my car we drove around on low boost which felt nice and strong plus better than my old tune. We kicked it into high boost and shit went off. Ive been in a r33 with a gt3582r and I can tell you that the ss2 dominates in every which way. Response, power delivery and driveability. You also dont need to run such high boost to achievr this. My old tune was 10psi and was making 244rwkw. Not many turbos will push that out of an rb.

I cant run 10psi to check :ph34r:

Just found out the vacuum hose to my external gate was melted as it was touching the dump pipe. lol. that explain the strange wavy boost curve. Taking it back for another tune and posting more result next week.

Just found out the vacuum hose to my external gate was melted as it was touching the dump pipe. lol. that explain the strange wavy boost curve. Taking it back for another tune and posting more result next week.

Lol, i was working around that area on my car and found a few melted bits :( Ill have to work on the heat control a bit better too......... Your dump wrapped?