SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Sarge can u hear it pinging? Does it happen on high boost?

What are the afr's doing?

Can't hear anything from the engine bay over the exhaust, the windows up doesn't help. Another thing that doesn't help is the fact that I cant make it happen every time. I can go to the same stretch of road where Ive pinged before, use the same gear, same start speed, same throttle and then no pinging. Its also hard to keep an eye on the AFR but on boost it goes down to about 12 and into the 11's. Ive tried to log it with the laptop but when I put the laptop down in the passenger seat and I drive over a bump in the road the USB cable comes jiggles and I lose connection. Really need someone in the passenger seat and a private stretch of road so I can test it out. Ive watched videos describing what ping would sound like. Some people say its the sound of metal chains dragging behind the car while some would bang a hammer on a piston and say that is what you will hear. Not sure what to make of it. Its not the easiest thing to fang second to redline and listen for ping in a skyline lol.

maybe not enough throttle enrichment? I had that issue when I smashed the pedal here and there, I added in more throttle enrichment and it went away (just from my personal experience)

Its got some throttle enrichment in there and when I do quick stabs at the throttle the afr richen up abit. Its not the stabs which cause the det, seems I can push the car from 2000 - 6000rpm but it gets into a danger zone at around 6400 rpm.

Take up Jez on the offer and let him have a crack on the dyno. Don't risk your motor TRYING to make it ping on the road.

Yeah Ive been speaking to him, about it. I intend on selling off the current ECU and setup and going with an adaptronic or Haltech plugin. It does seem silly trying to induce knocking especially when its just for logging sake and I know I can't do anything to try fix it.

On a side note, anyone interested in a Z32, PFC, hand controller, greddy profec b sii and the fc edit :P Can't afford the new ecu and tune otherwise.

Edited by SargeRX8

Remember it can be false knock. The stock sensors arent perfect. So u dont see the knock go up in datalogit?

How high do u see on the h/controller?

Is the dash light flashing?

I agree with GTScotT sarge, take JEZ up on the offer dude.

I challenge you to find another tuner who will put your car on the rollers for free.

I have yet to find anyone that puts the extra free time and effort in like JEZ does :)

He actually cares about how a cars running when it leaves his shop.

I agree with GTScotT sarge, take JEZ up on the offer dude.

I challenge you to find another tuner who will put your car on the rollers for free.

I have yet to find anyone that puts the extra free time and effort in like JEZ does :)

He actually cares about how a cars running when it leaves his shop.

JEZ is the man :thumbsup:

Remember it can be false knock. The stock sensors arent perfect. So u dont see the knock go up in datalogit?

How high do u see on the h/controller?

Is the dash light flashing?

Dash lights flash 3 times and when I see that happen thats when I remember to check the hand controller when I park at home. Usually the number is between 85 - 99. Never had a chance to pickup knock in the datalogit.

Edited by SargeRX8

99! Pffft.

That's nothing sarge (I AM joking dude)

Mine was hitting the 120+ mark, I have heard it once and it is not a sound I would like to hear often.

Makes you ass clench a few times lol

That is odd.

Have u tried high boost. It will go in a different part of the map, curious if it pings on high boost. Does it do it only after a hot run?

Time for wmi or e85 sarge :)

Just make sure if u run wmi dont run the wmi out... Hey Dave :P

Not necessarily after a hot run. I had the car parkes for about 30 mins after a 15 min drive. Gave it a squirt and the flashing light took away from the fun. E85 or flex fueol is where im heading. Wmi is just another thing that could potentially go wrong. Introducing another independant system would scare me lol. I think the flex fuel is the way to go. I tried that octane 100 with 5 or 10% ethanol content and it gave me a slightly better fuel consumption rate and I recall not a single ping event on that fuel. Get ready jez ill be heading up your way soon.

That is odd.

Have u tried high boost. It will go in a different part of the map, curious if it pings on high boost. Does it do it only after a hot run?

Time for wmi or e85 sarge :)

Just make sure if u run wmi dont run the wmi out... Hey Dave :P

Smartass! :)

I could always blame the boys who put the fluid float switch in lol