SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Little update nothing extraordinary.

This is the first dyno result sent in by DvsJez (Great tuner) running our latest SS2 with 74mm compressor on a Auto r33. The turbo is built as a factory replacement unit internally gated.

One of the goal in the latest development was aerodynamic efficiency at reasonable shaft speed, which helps with boost control in higher rpm range, and I mentioned earlier that it required very little wastegate duty to stabilize boost.

This is running just off a 18psi waste gate pressure (normally holds 14psi on G3 and older version) with usual preload. notice there is no tapering off behavior.

its an excellent curve.

ss2auto11bld.jpg

• Like 1

Its just a normal SS2 with bush center. VNT model's power curve will be more linear. I'm building a prototype for it to be internally gated at this stage and confident it will bereliably.

The new series of wheels are aimed at lower shaft speed efficiency. Most of my customers use them on stock engines running up to 20psi. So the aim is to produce as much flow's possible based on same shaft speed.

Comparing current SS2 results with earlier G3, its made the same amount of power on 20psi then the G3 at 24psi, if discard peek power, the G3 had better power to boost ratio after 20psi.

How ever the SS2 had better power to boost ration before 20psi. No point making a turbo producing the same amount of power at higher boost level then some thing else that can do it at lower boost level.

I can always make some thing capable of running 30psi, just ask when ordering the turbocharger. ;)

I've had a 300zx to play with and any thing large is horribly laggy.

Running L2 turbine in 6cm will act like a low comp NA most of the time.

I did a lot of work for the Z shop and pretty good with Lindsay. The high flowed manual turbos works out better then the TD04s that he had in both response and power.

I can high flow your stock turbo with FNT modification and SS1 billet wheel. That should be plenty for 300rwkws+ with excellent driveability.

I've had a 300zx to play with and any thing large is horribly laggy.

Running L2 turbine in 6cm will act like a low comp NA most of the time.

I did a lot of work for the Z shop and pretty good with Lindsay. The high flowed manual turbos works out better then the TD04s that he had in both response and power.

I can high flow your stock turbo with FNT modification and SS1 billet wheel. That should be plenty for 300rwkws+ with excellent driveability.

I'm building it to run consistent 10 second passes so after 450+rwkw.

If you wish to try it I can certainly build two billet the SL20.5 in 6cm turbine. I'm sure its going to be very laggy.

alternatively you can run two SS1PU in .64 rear. They will be more responsive option for that goal.

Video sent in from Toshi (Another Great tuner). This is a Video clip from Laurel with a Rb25det engine that we high flowed its turbocharger few month back.

Awesome work Stao! Another track car proving the reliability of your awesomeness, and this one a pro drifter!

Can't beat a reputation like that!

Nice work stao. Just another happy customer from your epic turbochargers.

Id like to go for a hta 3076r stao. But I've been thinking over the weekend that I'd prefer to support a local aussie turbo builder. What would you suggest that would be the closest match from your turbocharger selection? So something capable of 375+kw atw's with good response. Obviously on e85. Would prefer a bb turbo but it's not a must. Let me know what you think.

Cheers Josh.

Nice work stao. Just another happy customer from your epic turbochargers.

Id like to go for a hta 3076r stao. But I've been thinking over the weekend that I'd prefer to support a local aussie turbo builder. What would you suggest that would be the closest match from your turbocharger selection? So something capable of 375+kw atw's with good response. Obviously on e85. Would prefer a bb turbo but it's not a must. Let me know what you think.

Cheers Josh.

Woah 375kw+ from a 3076? even on E85 I don't think I have seen any figures like that yet. Stao will definitely have a good match for you.

It's funny back in the day I always wanted ball bearing but now days I see that there is too little benefit from going ball bearing when bush bearing is generally much more reliable over the long term

If Money is not too much of a issue (still works out cheaper then the fp unit) I would highly recommend the VNT SS3 unit for some thing in this range. Just waiting for Trent to get back and I will pass on some results from it.

Woah 375kw+ from a 3076? even on E85 I don't think I have seen any figures like that yet. Stao will definitely have a good match for you.

It's funny back in the day I always wanted ball bearing but now days I see that there is too little benefit from going ball bearing when bush bearing is generally much more reliable over the long term

Yeah 375+kw from an HTA GT3076R - check out the back to back of a normal GT3076R to the ForcedPerformance HTA done by 34GeeTeeTee in this thread: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/426059-forced-performance-hta-turbos/ - better than the GT3076R in every way, basically the ultimate RB25 turbo upgrade at this stage

Bush bearing isn't more reliable, just much cheaper to rebuild when they do fail.

Honestly none of that can match VNT models in terms of response and I can run a +2mm comp wheel to match the peek power easily. Specially when the car has cams and cam gears enhancing outcome.

I will post up results from the SS3 VNT once Trent gets back.

By understanding how both bearing setup works, I believe the bush bearing setup is more reliable, specially mine has been redeveloped. And I haven't had issues using them.

Thanks stao. Well after looking at results when they come through it may be the hypergear turbo for me. ;)

Can you pm me the price or write it up in the thread. Also as I said bb I prefer but not a absolute must.

Thanks Josh

Honestly none of that can match VNT models in terms of response and I can run a +2mm comp wheel to match the peek power easily. Specially when the car has cams and cam gears enhancing outcome.

I will post up results from the SS3 VNT once Trent gets back.

By understanding how both bearing setup works, I believe the bush bearing setup is more reliable, specially mine has been redeveloped. And I haven't had issues using them.

I would hope VNT should give an advantage, it definitely looks like the VNT has an edge on spool- personally I am treating what you are doing there as R&D, I like it for sure but until decent track/drag/street kms have been done on them really it should be considered to be testing. If it turns out to be reliable, what kind of pricing would you be looking at? And would you retrofit the tech to any turbo? I can only imagine how epic a VNT HTA3582 would be on an RB25!

The new one has inverted nozzle arrangement, they are no longer fighting against exhaust flow. It will reduce the required actuation strength to minimum. This technology can be integrated to any turbine housings. I was thinking about doing few for GTRs. That way theycan run two big twins, making huge power responsively.