SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

321rwhp @20psi. 4psi more boost has got me 30hp less than my previous tune.

No symptoms this time. Tuner double checked my cam timing, said I got it spot on. He even tried playing with the exhaust cam gear, but best results were where I had it. Set base ignition timing before it went on the dyno. IAT's are fine, not getting hot. It had no problems taking boost, it wasn't misfiring, it had plenty of fuel. It just doesn't make power. And I'm stumped.

Do you have a dyno plot for this? With AFR etc?

For reference.
Your making ALOT less power throughout the whole rev range than me.

To me that would rule out the turbo and point to a engine issue?

Edit: Actually looks like power is the same until my turbo kicks in at around 3500, then im always above you, which makes no sense ( pretty much same turbo, yours is bigger )

post-85075-0-66036700-1348752703_thumb.jpg
Edited by jay-rod

Here's the dyno sheet:

*snip*

Man this totally reminds me of my old ca18 180sx in 2004.

I had a friend with a ca 180 who was making tons more power than mine mod-for-mod. The more money I spent went nowhere/backwards. Everyone said "his was a freak and mine was more like the normal crappy CA's that can't make power", "should have bought an r32 or an sr20 powered car blah blah blah". I raged, I got upset, I threw money at it trying, late nights, everything we could think of to get it to make numbers and it just refused. As soon as boost came on there was a surge of power and then nothing up top. It felt fast for half a second then just made noise.

Eventually I had the car on for a final retune because it was up for sale, I couldn't stand it any more, I was fed up. Then, by complete accident the tuner found intake manifold butterflies that were possibly an optional factory extra (don't know for sure), but were always partially closed hence limiting all airflow and power. The tuner tied them open with a 10c cable tie.

After that, the thing ripped. Made something like 120hp extra than pre-ziptie :laugh: , even made more power than my friend's. After that it was all worth it.

TL;DR - don't give up. You have an rb25 neo. They make power.

This is starting to make me think that Hanaldo needs to go the whole hog and instrument the car fairly thoroughly before running it up on a dyno again. We'd want to see a boost gauge upstream the intercooler, after the intercooler but before the throttle and the obvious one in the plenum. We'd want a measurement of exhaust manifold pressure. We'd want (if anyone could be bothered) fuel flow meters installed before and after the rail. A tacho on the turbo would be nice too. Exhaust pyrometers....at least one, preferably 6.

Then we see what all that looks like. Then maybe we understand what is going on.

My VNT turbine system is alike the one in the video, I've watched it over a 100s of times before this.

I'm concerned about the affects of those nozzles at high boost, perhaps some thing making 400rwkws at 24psi. The EGT will rise dramatically with all those nozzles on the way. The nozzles them selves would be red hot that might snap or sieze after repetitive extreme theorem expansion and contraction.

This prototype is similar in a way of how it affects the shaft speed, but also constructed in a way that there are fewer moving parts standing in the way of gas passage.

The turbocharger is now installed, knowing the timing map would be very different, I'm backing off throttle around 5psi. There is a very noticeable differences in response compare to a normal SS2. Its getting tuned tomorrow. No guarantee it will work 100% according to plan, but at least it is a start.

Any update on this end up getting a tune ?

I'm concerned about the affects of those nozzles at high boost, perhaps some thing making 400rwkws at 24psi. The EGT will rise dramatically with all those nozzles on the way. The nozzles them selves would be red hot that might snap or sieze after repetitive extreme theorem expansion and contraction.

Unfortunately egt will always be the limiting factor for this style thing... and it's one thing you can't control. So the only way you could sell them is without warranty on the hotside?? if it looks promising I'd buy one without warranty. Same or better response and 240/50rwkw.

Here it is. Managed 384rwkws on 22psi. 20psi just before 3500RPMS. :woot:

Yellow and blue is VNT SS2, Green is standard from few weeks ago.

power.jpg

Notice the differences in response :D

boost.jpg

Testing was pretty smooth in general, Its crazy to drive. I will post up other runs with captions later on.

Very interesting crazy response I guess hardest thing will be finding how reliable it'll be.when driving it does it hit hard with wheel spin or pretty liniear

Yes The only thing I didn't thought was if the actuator bracket would fit on my manifold. and it turned out I had no room so it was temporary attached to the timing belt case. We spent lots of time trying fix it solid there so it won't move. and it worked. I will need to make a proper bracket that attaches it to the turbocharger. But the whole ideology worked :woot: , This project took almost a year from drawing to manufacturing and testing. I'm very happy about it. That is a big step forward, I really want to see what it can make now with the 431rwkws ATR45 turbocharger.