SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Yeah hes a fair ways off where he should be....

Is it a decent idea that a trip to the strip be arranged? I would like to see the MPH out of this car with the now 320whp.

Can lend you an unused T67, if youd like to test another turbo.

This is a f**king awesome idea.

Is it a standard issue Kando item?

Yeah hes a fair ways off where he should be....

Is it a decent idea that a trip to the strip be arranged? I would like to see the MPH out of this car with the now 320whp.

Its slower haha. I think I'd struggle to get 105mph.

Both billet SS2 and SLSS2 are more responsive with higher output then a normal T67. Check page 388.

The VNT model is targeting towards SS1 .64's response while making SS2's power. I will post further details as it gets installed and tuned.

my car will be getting retuned on e85 and 20 pound with in next month made 311 on 19.5 on 98. Will be very interested to compare them and see if I can hit 350

Have you done a leakdown test on the motor Martin? From what I remember you've checked and re-checked all of the breathing in and out, so I'm just trying to think of some restriction you may have missed. Could there be a rag in the intercooler end tank or something silly?

Yeh, I'd be willing to give it a go if it wasn't such an expensive exercise. The whole underpowered thing seems to have always been around on mine. Even on the stock turbo, I was only making 220rwhp @14psi. Then both G2's that I used only made 295rwhp. I had put that down to the stock ECU pulling timing and fuel, but now I don't know...

It definitely feels slower now. It feels like my previous low boost setting. Quieter too.

Well if the turbocharger compartment isn't touched then power lose must be from other causes. I'm suspecting the tune.

I can replace the G3 with a billet T67 free if you prefer to try.

Well if the turbocharger compartment isn't touched then power lose must be from other causes. I'm suspecting the tune.

I can replace the G3 with a billet T67 free if you prefer to try.

Insane offer. Such good service.

What about the current SS2? That way it can bolt straight back on with no mods to dump pipe or oil lines.

Well The T67 is a old design but simple turbo and we all know what it is. I have personally tested it and made 400rwkws out of mine. You should be able to reach at least 300rwkws on that externally gated on stock manifold. it will rule out any turbocharger related quires.

I'm happy to help, Free exchange.

Or Alternatively I can send out a high flowed R34 turbo. Which every one's been making 250~260rwkws region. That is a bolton replacement which should also be a good turbo to rule out any turbo issues.

I bought a wheel and tire package 3 years ago and I have no idea what those rims are apart from they fits. lol

Any way. quick update. This is our latest VNT turbine system using a ball bearing SS2 core. I don't have a high speed camera so this footage was taken with a air blower meter away from the turbine housing with VNT nozzles engaged and disengaged at low shaft speed. Notice the change in shaft speed with VNT nozzles engaged.

Will be testing it next week when Trent has time, and hopefully I will get stock response with 370rwkws.

Any more on this?

My VNT turbine system is alike the one in the video, I've watched it over a 100s of times before this.

I'm concerned about the affects of those nozzles at high boost, perhaps some thing making 400rwkws at 24psi. The EGT will rise dramatically with all those nozzles on the way. The nozzles them selves would be red hot that might snap or sieze after repetitive extreme theorem expansion and contraction.

This prototype is similar in a way of how it affects the shaft speed, but also constructed in a way that there are fewer moving parts standing in the way of gas passage.

The turbocharger is now installed, knowing the timing map would be very different, I'm backing off throttle around 5psi. There is a very noticeable differences in response compare to a normal SS2. Its getting tuned tomorrow. No guarantee it will work 100% according to plan, but at least it is a start.

321rwhp @20psi. 4psi more boost has got me 30hp less than my previous tune.

No symptoms this time. Tuner double checked my cam timing, said I got it spot on. He even tried playing with the exhaust cam gear, but best results were where I had it. Set base ignition timing before it went on the dyno. IAT's are fine, not getting hot. It had no problems taking boost, it wasn't misfiring, it had plenty of fuel. It just doesn't make power. And I'm stumped.

Just my opinion but I would be going a garrett style turbo/ rear housing with a 3 1/2inch dump, looking at your build pics, it looks restrictive compared to other setups

Edited by AngryRBGTX

Perhaps, but the JJR dump pipe is being used on a lot of setup making substantially more power than me. In any case, it's definitely nota restriction in comparison to the 6-bolt flange adapter on the turbo. I actually had the dump pipe off while I was doing the cams and was going to grind it out to match the gasket. However when I got it off, I found that the dump pipe opening was far bigger than the opening on the flange adapter on the turbo.

Perhaps this is an issue?

the worst at any ones guess would be making no extra power but not roller back power. Hyperdrive is also on dyna pack dyno there shouldn't be much of a difference compare to Garage 101. At 4psi less its probably be sitting sub 280hp. The turbo is still the same turbo nothing has been changed apart from cam gear adjustment and tune. I would be taking it back to the tune whom made power.

Perhaps, but the JJR dump pipe is being used on a lot of setup making substantially more power than me. In any case, it's definitely nota restriction in comparison to the 6-bolt flange adapter on the turbo. I actually had the dump pipe off while I was doing the cams and was going to grind it out to match the gasket. However when I got it off, I found that the dump pipe opening was far bigger than the opening on the flange adapter on the turbo.

Perhaps this is an issue?

The dump pipe opening can go only as far as the gasket allow. There is a member here mentioning the cut out of the JJR's dump pipe didn't match up with the gasket. How ever I do not believe there should be a issue, or at least not affecting the range of power making.

Like said above I don't believe the turbo would be responsible for the difference in power between the last two tunes. as the only thing that has been altered was the cam angle and of course the work of a different turner. I would load the old tune file back in and get a 2nd opinion from Garage 101.

The dump pipe opening can go only as far as the gasket allow. There is a member here mentioning the cut out of the JJR's dump pipe didn't match up with the gasket. How ever I do not believe there should be a issue, or at least not affecting the range of power making. Like said above I don't believe the turbo would be responsible for the difference in power between the last two tunes. as the only thing that has been altered was the cam angle and of course the work of a different turner. I would load the old tune file back in and get a 2nd opinion from Garage 101.

Yes I've seen that post, however you must have revised the design of the 6-bolt flange adapter on your turbossince mine was made, as mine has not been milled oout to anywhere near the size of his.

That said, I agree with the point that the turbo hasn't changed between the 2 tunes and therefore can't be the reason for loss of power. I will have a look at the tune.

Edited by Hanaldo