SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Felt that on the way back. the car skits heavily to one side. He did mention about welding them together. or not sure if there is any one whom can modify stock diff to make them stronger. Alternatively I was thinking buying a kaaz diff. not sure which one is better to get 1.5 or 2 way? It is a road car and I do drive a fare distance testing new turbos, I still want it to handle smoothly on road.

1 way diff tightens on acceleration, 1.5 way tightens on acceleration and 50% on decel, and 2 way tightens on acceleration and deceleration. So unless you plan on drifting the car, no need to have a diff that locks fully on decel.

I don't drift this car. its mainly for street, and will be on quarters often now. I'm planing to drop in a set of pon cames and pumping it to about 450rwkws mark. Sorry I'm really a noob when comes on the diff. I will likely be buying a kaaz diff, So which one better for my application? the 1 way, 1.5 or 2 way.

Do Kaaz make a 1 way diff? If you're gonna stick with 1 way, just re shim the stock diff. Otherwise 1.5 way will be more than enough, a 2 way won't help you on the strip.

Hmm, after a bit of reading I gather shimming is much like welding, and effectively makes the diff a 2 way. Hadn't realised this. I'd just go for a stronger 1 way if anyone does them, otherwise a 1.5 way.

I know plenty of people who have run shimmed diffs for year with no problems. How long the shims last is dependant on the size you put in. That said they aren't running down the strip with 400kw on a set of sticky MT's.

I've uploaded footages for all good runs out of the day.

There are number of interesting cars there yesterday, I will publish the video after further uploading completes.

Don't shim the diff.

I put a .8mm shim in mine and its disgustingly tight... But the sad part if its just meshing the spider gears together, and making it jam at low speeds. The actual LSD coupling has little to no ability to be preloaded in the grand scheme of things. A pointless mod causing only discomfort IMHO.

Me? No.

Still got the shimmed diff which feels uber tight when you're cruising and has more or less the same LSD effect it had prior when you jump on it.

shimming was my first suggestion or 2-way / welding.

It needs some cradle locks too as the tramp was bad enough to knock it out of gear on numerous occasions.

i reckon a line lock would also allow better warm up burnout as the car labors too much in 2nd with the MT's

i will wire up the clutch switch so we can dial in some retard on the line and produce a bit of boost..

when you put 3+mm of total shim in there you need to add a thicker backlash shim/washer, mine has a bit of backlash play at low speeds as i still havent sorted that out. although mine is pretty much a shimmed locker so by fair the most cheap and reliable set up over a grenade of a weldy