SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Yeah I meant I lined it all up to the timing marks and then checked and everything was pretty spot on

So did you check true TDC first using a piston stop? That's the critical part, if you don't get that exactly right then the rest of it won't mean much at all. If you did then that's about what I was expecting, I didn't expect mine to be out at all let alone by so much.

Hmmmmm mine were pretty much dropped in and good to go :/ maybe i was just lucky?

Well JEM also did your exhaust cam gear, do you know if that is zeroed? They have probably installed the cam gear and then adjusted it to where it performed best, essentially 'hiding' if the cams were out at all.

Your motor is completely stock right? Never had the head off? If so they might be ok.They are meant to be a full drop in... I think Trev and Martin have suffered because their motors have been apart in the past, with surfaces skimmed. Like mine also. It doesnt mean Tomei get the lobe centre spot on though... It might still be off, which is why they advertise specs so we can work it out.

I did think this might be what threw it out, but a couple of things are bugging me about it... 4.6 degrees and 7.8 degrees is a long way out. The inlet cam could have been messed with previously, but even if I ignore that, the exhaust was not adjustable. How much would a 0.003" skim throw out timing? Surely not almost 5 degrees. In used an OEM headgasket, so that hasn't changed.

but even if I ignore that, the exhaust was not adjustable. How much would a 0.003" skim throw out timing? Surely not almost 5 degrees. In used an OEM headgasket, so that hasn't changed.

My block was skimmed 0.004", stock head gasket, however head has been skimmed numurous times and I think I worked out about 20 thou total and both mine were 5.5 and 6 degrees from stock cam specs

Who knows what's up with yours :/

Martin your not working with stock cams so that must be the difference.

People only ever skim a few thou but the tool exists for a reason, clearly being that it does put them out.

That was a ATR28G4 turbo, That specific one is an older older model made around 2008. The current one is quite different, makes better power and response.

sl2ss2comps2.JPG

Got this tuned today. Big thanks to Status tuning as usual.

Just out of curiosity of what the 10cm L2 turbine can pump, We tried every thing to squeeze power out of and The maximum we've got it to was 385rwkws on 24psi. The car refused to make any more power after this.

At 22 psi it made 374rwkws so basically identical to SS2 at same boost level.

This goal of this turbocharger is to make more power then a T67 while having the same response to a 20G.

I've overlaid readings from:

Our brand new SLSS2 turbocharger

V

Latest SS2 turbocharger that has the identical compressor setup on slightly lower boost level.

V

The highest reading of a T67, Greddy manifold, externally gated.

All on Rb25det with stock cams.

ss2vsl2vt67power.jpg

ss2vsl2vt67boost.jpg

Well sarge, you have been underground for some time now...

Le test car now sports a high mount and E85, while the SS2 has since gone from 71mm hi/lo blade to 74mm full blade compressor. The SLSS2 is the SS2 compressor mated to a TD06SL2 turbine, like on the kando T67s.

Good to hear its still a relativley standard motor, so this stuff is still achievable! Unfortunately though, I don't want to go high mount. Time to read up on the forums, its been a while!

it would be nice if stao could update the HG website with the wheel sizings for the ss range of present and old models.

just helps when you compare them to other turbo's for size and power out put

once again nice work with the new results above ^

it would be nice if stao could update the HG website with the wheel sizings for the ss range of present and old models.

just helps when you compare them to other turbo's for size and power out put

once again nice work with the new results above ^

Not a bad idea there.

Yes I will add some information into my site. Also as some of you already noticed the new domain is at:

www.hypergearturbos.com

The old domain still works as a back up and file storage.

As things getting a little more serious, I've got my self a set of of MickyThomasons ETs for Sunday's drag strip. I was hopping 265 x 16s which VPW run out, that I already bought a set of rims for. Those are 275 x 17s hopefully fits my current rim with much better grip

mtstreet.jpg.

RSRs (255 x 17) are for sale at $300 a pair if any one is interested. they are under 500Kms old, pretty much new with 95%+ threads. Good for 300rwkws class.

Compare to the very fist SS2 the comp wheels has been altered 5 times with 2x different types of compressor housing and 4 different types of housing profiles. They are obviously a much better performer externally gated on proper manifold as any other turbochargers.

The very first one are still capable of making over 350rwkws on E85. The current once can pump out 376rwkws with better response and much lower boost controller duty. I've got another reading to upload comparing the current SLSS2 V SS2 that is pretty interesting to be looked at in terms of difference in boost, power and torque delivery.

I'm also working on another SS2 prototype that is made to be externally gated only and more responsive then the current model.

The new SS2 is still WIP, almost complete. Will post results if the ideology works.

Car's having issues transferring power onto ground been a rear wheel drive. Getting slower times with more power. If this don't work then I will be going for a full set of cross ply wheels and tires.

That short shifter Trent complaint about has also been replaced with one came out of a OEM GTR. If every thing goes as planed we should be sitting at the 11s mark with 125m/h.

Got the 275 Micky thomasons on, they just cleared the guards and required 5mm spacers to miss the strut tower.

side.jpg

side2.jpg

under.jpg

Really good tries. With the SLSS2 doing 22psi full throttle lunch in 1st and 2nd it didn't slip a bit. Price wise it only cost me $285 each just $10 dear then the Federal RSRs. Highly recommended.