SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Haha well the bigger the wheel the more accurate it is! :P

Yeh I'm rechecking TDC every time. Thing is, even if TDC was out, that would give me the wrong degree, it wouldn't give me the same degree every time. The error must be elsewhere. I've tried using a different reference value on the dial indicator, and that gives me a different result. Which shouldn't happen. But I can't work out why it does that...

Yep already tried that. Have also tried doing it graphically, so using another degree wheel and working out the mid point of the numbers on the image. It comes out the same every time. Its strange. When I adjust the gear, the final value stays the same. When I change the reference value the finale degree value changes. It should be opposite.

Nope, I'm calling it quits. I tried moving the dial indicator to the other lobe and setting it up again, end result was the same. So to double check I just took down the dial indicator measurements every 20 degrees and then plotted it in Excel, and it gave me a near perfect valve curve figure. So the dial indicator is tracking the lobe perfectly, it's not an issue with that. I am 100% stumped, I have absolutely no idea what is happening. Doesn't make any sense and nothing I do fixes it.

Starting to wonder if there is an issue with the cam lobe symmetry. But surely it must be something more simple than that, I MUST be making a mistake somewhere. I just can't find it :( 2 whole days wasted doing this shit now :/

Edited by Hanaldo

Car is near Mundaring, Trev.

BUT, I have figured out the issue :D must have come to me in my sleep last night because I woke up knowing what it was. Its because I'm using a 180 degree wheel, bastard thing. I just got unlucky with where the degree value fell on the degree wheel, and lost track of which side of 0/180 I was measuring. So the first time I moved it one of my values was 172 and it all worked and I moved it but only by 4 degrees. Then the next times I tried to adjust it, the degree values had flipped to the OTHER side of 180. So I was getting something like 177-179 etc. but it was on the other side of TDC, which I didn't account for in my formula. Had my first value been at ~100° then it never would have flipped over and I wouldn't have had an issue, I just happened to get a value very close to 180 and 0.

So essentially it was my formula that was wrong because it wasn't accounting for being on the other side. This could still happen with a 360 degree wheel but it would be even more unlikely that the degree value falls close to 0°. But really you just have to be quite vigilant of which side of TDC you are working on

Car is near Mundaring, Trev.

BUT, I have figured out the issue :D must have come to me in my sleep last night because I woke up knowing what it was. Its because I'm using a 180 degree wheel, bastard thing. I just got unlucky with where the degree value fell on the degree wheel, and lost track of which side of 0/180 I was measuring. So the first time I moved it one of my values was 172 and it all worked and I moved it but only by 4 degrees. Then the next times I tried to adjust it, the degree values had flipped to the OTHER side of 180. So I was getting something like 177-179 etc. but it was on the other side of TDC, which I didn't account for in my formula. Had my first value been at ~100° then it never would have flipped over and I wouldn't have had an issue, I just happened to get a value very close to 180 and 0.

So essentially it was my formula that was wrong because it wasn't accounting for being on the other side. This could still happen with a 360 degree wheel but it would be even more unlikely that the degree value falls close to 0°. But really you just have to be quite vigilant of which side of TDC you are working on

:wacko: lol

Haha soooo after measuring it CORRECTLY this time, I've found that all my adjusting has put my intake cam at... 60° :blink: 60° out now! Haha. Would have expected that far out I would like be hitting valves, but I'm not. Now to correct!

No way. 60 out is about 8 teeth :/

My way was fool proof :whistling: my young bloke was a bit too crook to travel today anyway.free tomorrow If your still having dramas. Hope you get it sorted!

Edited by t_revz

60 out is 4 teeth on mine, each tooth is 15 crank degrees. I skipped a tooth trying to get more advancement on the gear, then ended up skipping it 2 teeth because it wasn't moving (was aware it couldn't be have been correct, was just trying something I knew would makea it move). Then I went to turn it back and accidentally turned it the wrong way, so it was 4 teeth.

All good now, spot on 120 degrees! Just rechecking my exhaust but that should be perfect.

No, when I started the intake cam was at 112.2°. So 7.8° retarded. Its now where it should be at 120°. With 4 different reference values on dial indicator to make sure :P

No, when I started the intake cam was at 112.2°. So 7.8° retarded. Its now where it should be at 120°. With 4 different reference values on dial indicator to make sure :P

I think you are the retarded spanner in the works :P j/k, get it sorted man! Cant wait to hear good news!

Haha Yeh well that's what I was doing for the last two days, moving the gear backwards and forwards and not getting anywhere :/ all sorted now, time to out it all back together. I somehow don't think my car will be very driveable until I get a tune now though :(

^^^^

Those is definitely educational materials. would be great if you can post a write up on those cams.

Below is the latest SL21G, or you can call it the SLSS2 or S(L+S2). Basically the Current SS2 with SL2 turbine in 10cm housing. Its suppose to be on the dyno today, Unfortunately my Walbro 20000262 fuel pump burnt out last night and my car was tolled back by RACV lol. Its getting a 20000267 pump installed very soon and getting tuned in a week time.

Below is photo of the new prototype (and the dead fuel pump):

sl2ss2comps.jpg

sl2ss2turbines.jpg