SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

If you mean trap speed, it is the speed that a car crosses the line at. For example you could have a honda civic going flat chat for a 15 second quarter mile at like 85mph or whatever, and a nitro funny car that cruises to half track then nails it to the line. This could also be a 15 sec 1/4, but the mph could be at like 130mph.

For street cars that are all going flat out all the way to the line, it gives a pretty good indication of horsepower for a given car's weight, since it's detached from the quarter mile measurement, and not affected anywhere near as much by launch ability of the driver or traction the car has as the ET is.

Thanks for the info. I will look into those.

It seems most of the cars that managed to run good times had stupidly large turbochargers on. From the turbo to engine size ratio on those things appeared to be very laggy. That's probably when launch control comes handy. Turbo building option for fast on quarters and feel good on road can be very different.

Be interested to see result from the laggier 431rwkws G4 profile as well as the new Sl20.5 and Sl25.5. With proper tyres and gear shifter.

It seems most of the cars that managed to run good times had stupidly large turbochargers on. From the turbo to engine size ratio on those things appeared to be very laggy. That's probably when launch control comes handy. Turbo building option for fast on quarters and feel good on road can be very different.

Be interested to see result from the laggier 431rwkws G4 profile as well as the new Sl20.5 and Sl25.5. With proper tyres and gear shifter.

Which good times are you talking about?

It tends to be easier to run a good time with a quicker spooling turbo for the power level - at least in my experience, torque wins races and all that stuff. Sometimes you have to be a bit more careful to feather the throttle etc with a more accessible powerband, it seems lots of people get overexcited and give their cars too many RPM off the line when launching.

Obviously when you put stickier tyres on and get better shifts you will go much quicker, but at the moment the ETs you have done are in the realms of much less powerful cars on street tyres (ie, I did similar with 100+kw less and shit tyres - just a lower trap speed due to way less power).

125mph in a 1400ish KG car should be able to net a 10, should it not?

If you had a 1.5 or so 60' maybe, would be very hard to get that into the 10's on a H pattern manual unless you are top shit behind the wheel.

If you had a 1.5 or so 60' maybe, would be very hard to get that into the 10's on a H pattern manual unless you are top shit behind the wheel.

Good 60ft, but no 1.5 by any stretch and as you can hear the shifts aren't lightning quick - stock H-pattern, full interior, pump gas with stock bottom end with a 35R... 10.6 @ 128mph makes at least nearly hitting 10s seem realistic with 125mph:

Dyno that the power claim is from was quite a high reading hub dyno, but it had a lot of clout for a stock motor

Yep if manual you need a two step or anti lag to get a big turbo up

Also the bigger the turbo with a manual, the harder it is to use drag radials over slicks as they don't absorb as much shock

and the big stuff has a narrower powerband and needs a big clutch dump usually

Auto not so bad, just good torque converter and gas it if you can't get it up

cheers

darren

And IRS as well ..its very hard to get a IRS manual car into the 10's with 125mph...128 is more typical

that r33 must have still 60ft in the low 1.6's?

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

The 3540 in 1.06 turbine is a huge turbo for a Rb25det, and he's only 3m/h faster, I think I can get that mileage on 23psi with G3 on MT tyres.

And yes I'm making an 11 blade wheel profile for the SL2 at moment. Aiming at T67's power with 20G's response.

^^

That is very responsive for a SR20det. Not your car?

Also latest video from SSRicho. 1.31 lap time run at winton raceway.

R33 skyline. running our 21U high flow on 263rwkws.

Hi guys just thought i would post a couple of videos with the little mods i have done

Only mod i had done before these was when i boosted the stock turbo to around 11 psi

This is when i took off the old exhaust and before i installed the 3" exhaust

This is when i installed a 3" turbo back exhaust

My cousin had a VL High flow turbo that i decided to put in, with a few mods we made it fit.

i had to get a new oil line ($120) made, because my dump pipe from the turbo to the cat was 1 piece i had it get that modified to suit the VL dump pipe ($250 exhaust mod), had to find the a VL dump pipe and saw a few days earlier that one sold on ebay for $80 but after 1 day of searching on a friday and having to have the car running over the weekend i ended up buying the only i could find for $300 and all the extra piping for the intake and in-between the compressor housing and intercooler which worked out to be around another $50.

Total spent $520 plus what ever my cousin wants for the turbo which he said he paid around $500 which apparently was run for a round 5000km's and rated to 25 psi.

A lot more turbo lag in 1st and 2nd it wont start boosting until 3000 rpm but 3rd gear and over it boosts well. Only running it at just under 8 psi it is significantly faster then before. the night i left i raced another r34 and he told me he had a 3" exhaust and he had boosted it to 10 psi, he had me on take off but as soon i started boosting there was clear winner :) …… it wasn't a proper race it was like a slow rolling start but you could clearly see the improvement.

This was just me taking of from a friends house

Now i really want a FMIC and probably need a fuel reg can anyone recommend brands?

my cousin also said he has a O2 censor that goes to lcd screen so we can work out how much more we can boost it safely……………….does anyone know a safe limit to boost it too once i get an intercooler assuming i have enough fuel being available?