SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Thats stagea kw for mph..

I'm a bit lost, but most of the cars that have run the drags so far , are the ones that had problems on the dyno

anyway i thought, so i don't see a clear picture yet, Stao should go

cheers

darren

Mine didn't really have problems as such, it just didn't make the expected power because I couldn't wind more boost in. At 16psi my car runs perfectly, there are no problems. Made 350rwhp, but my trap speed of 108mph doesn't reflect that.

Just got my new greddy intercooler and bellmouth dump pipe fitted. Spent quite a while boring out the turbo flange plate to match the dump pipe, chamfering the edges and allowing straighter exit for the gases from turbine out. On my G3 Type A rear flange plate there was a solid metal wall near the wastegate flapper which the exiting turbine gas would have been hitting which I've now had removed. Also my mid muffler in my exhaust was dented, had broken baffles in it and the inlet into it was corroded and blown out so can't have been helping. It's now been removed and replaced with just 80mm pipe. Much louder now :)

On the road it feels massively different to before. The car revs much more easily than before, and uses way less throttle to keep up with traffic. The car feels must less hesitant even to just pootle around, and loading up onto boost the car isn't as "off/on" in transition into power. Before it used to make 0.3 bar for a while, then spring all the way up to 1.2-1.3, whereas now it sort of just makes more earlier, and doesn't pause before flying upwards, it just rises more evenly. Power wise I haven't wound it out due to it not being tuned for its current setup. It goes in for a retune on the 4th. Although before I had to add 60 duty cycle on the boost controller to go from 14psi actuator to 18psi, whereas now it does 16psi with EBC turned off which further points to less restriction.

So far I'd have to say I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't at least make a decent bit more power than the last tune, so thanks to those guys a while back (Birds/Scott/boostn/hanaldo/Stao etc) who were pointing to the split dump pipe and JJR return flow as restrictions on my setup.

Long 3 week wait now :(

Edited by copycutter

Sorry you have me confused for someone else. I have an ATR43G3, standard plenum, nismo 550's and ViPec ECU.

Cool, i thought i might have.

There was a guy there in an R33 that had pulled the bolts on's and computer off another car, thrown it on his, and off he goes. Not tuning or nothing. Was then at the track day giving it a go...

:domokun:

Excessive EGT's??

I had a high flow that looked a bit worse than this from huge EGT's

I specifically made mine to stand big higher egt by increase the thickness of the blade tip. This one is not from high egt, notice where the based of the wheel is all bent back wards (that is a very hard material), the damage on all blades are evenly. as well as the big dint at the particular spot of the heat shield. Burnt blades remains straight.

I'm pretty concert about where this piece of object came from. It will damage the new turbocharger if where ever it might be loosing another part. and repairing the G3 roller bearing core will be very costly.

Hey guys, ive got a r33 s1 and wondering what turbo you would recommend for about 230-260kw, stock internals with associated mods. looking for something nice and responsive and want to run 12-16 psi max.

oh and anyone know any good tuners around the goldcoast/Brisbane area?

sorry this has probably already been covered somewhere in here already but i got sick of going through all the pages lol.

Cheers, Matt :)

Hey guys, ive got a r33 s1 and wondering what turbo you would recommend for about 230-260kw, stock internals with associated mods. looking for something nice and responsive and want to run 12-16 psi max.

oh and anyone know any good tuners around the goldcoast/Brisbane area?

sorry this has probably already been covered somewhere in here already but i got sick of going through all the pages lol.

Cheers, Matt :)

Gold Coast, go to Sean @ EFI - he's great.

Brissy, I hear good things about Mercury Motorsport.

Mine didn't really have problems as such, it just didn't make the expected power because I couldn't wind more boost in. At 16psi my car runs perfectly, there are no problems. Made 350rwhp, but my trap speed of 108mph doesn't reflect that.

why coudn't you run anymore boost?

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

why coudn't you run anymore boost?

cheers

darren

From memory his engine hits a power ceiling and more boost doesn't net much more if any power. Plus intake temps were possibly high?

From memory his engine hits a power ceiling and more boost doesn't net much more if any power. Plus intake temps were possibly high?

thats what i thought , to me that is a problem?, whatever that problem is ..probally affects other things somehow

cheers

darren

why coudn't you run anymore boost?cheersdarren

Well I could, but it made the same power at 16psi as it did at 22psi. Restriction somewhere or cam timing is out. But at 16psi the car runs fine, the dyno chart even outperformed Stao's results up to 16psi.

Did you try a timing light to check that? Should keep making more after 16, especially if your results up to there are good. Get any inlet temp readings?

Ignition timing is fine, it's the cam timing that may be out. Inlet temps are normal up to 16psi, then start getting hot with more boost, from memory AT was 21 degrees and IT's were around 41 degrees with 18psi.

Intercooler has been tested to have around 1psi pressure drop across the core. Exhaust has been dropped after the front pipe with no gain. Intake piping is possibly restrictive, 3" intake pipe and 2.5" cooler piping with numerous 90 degree bends, but everybody seems to agree that it should work fine and wouldn't be costing me a lot of power. Have checked for boost leaks a number of times using the whole compressed air method, nothing. Cam timing is the most likely cause, just haven't got the funds to get the cams dialled in at the moment.

The SS2.5 high flow is installed. I guess not one would go through that much trouble to high mount a factory turbocharger.

I've made a Vband adaptor that suits factory 6 bolt turbine housing:

th.jpg

th2.jpg

every thing fitted as usual:

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

I only run it to 15psi, and it is super responsive. very close to a stock turbocharger.

Which is a bad news if I'm chasing towards 350rwkws. The comp housing might be small for this comp wheel also as it does dose back loudly on very little revs like how some of the VL boys wanted.

I think this turbocharger will be maxing out towards the 320rwkws mark. Hopefully all goes well on the dyno.

comp2.jpg

A high flowed stock turbo like above deserves to be high mounted and externally gated. Even thou it doesn't looks pretty. but 342rwkws out of a high flowed R33 turbocharger (not r34 op6) is a brilliant result. And the response is amazing. Trent just finished tuning. I will upload more data and video footages when I get a scanner.

For now:

IMAG1569.jpg