Photo

Testing Coil Packs Other Then Replacing With Different One?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
  • Car(s):r33 gtst skyline
Just wondering if theres a way to test the coil packs in my r33 s2 without having to change over with another set?

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

• Car(s):HR31 GTS-R, R33 GTR VSPEC
There is info in the DIY section.

Go have a look there :(

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

sau_nats_banner.png

CARS:
HR31 GTS-R - Racepace built, RB26, 280rwkw @ 1bar

R33 GTR - Racepace built, 365rwkw @ 19psi

Claims to fame:
Fastest Time ever on Mega Mini Wang, first go. No R-Comps, No Cheater test days, No warm-up runs

• Car(s):Fiat 500
If you were in Brisbane I can bench test them for you.
I don't know anyone in Melbourne with the same equipment. There are resistance checks you can do as above was suggested but even they can be misleading at times.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

SELLING ALL MY STUFF:

http://www.skylinesa...r32-gtst-parts/

HOIST FOR SALE:

BendPak 4.5 Tonne Clear Floor 2 Post Hoist. Only 2 years of operation. $3000

This is a SINGLE PHASE hoist (Runs on 240v standard outlet) and is the American made version of this hoist. All current models are made in China.

ah k fair enough, oh well i taped up the coil packs 2day and ye it fixed my problem of missfiring

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

r33 s2, car is missfiring above 4000 revs i regaped my plugs to 0.8 and it fixed the problem for about an hour and now its back to missfiring, i taped the stock coils up wit electrical tape aswel. so since spark plugs only worked as a temproary fix im assuming changing my coil packs will fix the problem what do you guys think?

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

• Car(s):R32 Sedan & R31 Race Car

r33 s2, car is missfiring above 4000 revs i regaped my plugs to 0.8 and it fixed the problem for about an hour and now its back to missfiring, i taped the stock coils up wit electrical tape aswel. so since spark plugs only worked as a temproary fix im assuming changing my coil packs will fix the problem what do you guys think?

It's a possibility man.
Mine was doing something similar to this and when I changed to Splitfires, the problem was solved. Mine was breaking up above 4000rpm on 7lb, and at 3500rpm on 22lb of boost, and she was spewing a shitload of black smoke.
Whether your issue is the same or not can only be discovered through a process of elimination.
I have seen many questions asked regarding this through the forums and there have been several different courses of action taken. Some have had ECU, TPS, spark plug etc issues.
Do a search and you will find what the other guys were discovering, and that will help you to get to the root of your problem.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

• Interests:I like stuff
  • Car(s):Evo 8 MR FQ-340 #238
when your std coils are dead they work fine and then one day they just start to misfire city when the engine is on load/boost
replacing plugs etc doesnt fix the issue as the coils are breaking down. mine died at 160,000kms and replaced with splitfires no issues after that

if its happened all of a sudden and youve put in new plugs then yeah coils are toast - they die sooner or later

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

-> Apexi PowerFC FAQ has been updated (26th June 2012) - ChangeLog
-> Apexi PowerFC Hand Controller Emulator - If you want to play around on the powerfc

-> http://www.paulr33.com for all your Technical Resources
-> Want to know stock boost for your skyline? Click here

• Car(s):HR31 GTS-R, R33 GTR VSPEC
we dont need multi threads on the same issue...

merged!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

sau_nats_banner.png

CARS:
HR31 GTS-R - Racepace built, RB26, 280rwkw @ 1bar

R33 GTR - Racepace built, 365rwkw @ 19psi

Claims to fame:
Fastest Time ever on Mega Mini Wang, first go. No R-Comps, No Cheater test days, No warm-up runs

when your std coils are dead they work fine and then one day they just start to misfire city when the engine is on load/boost
replacing plugs etc doesnt fix the issue as the coils are breaking down. mine died at 160,000kms and replaced with splitfires no issues after that

if its happened all of a sudden and youve put in new plugs then yeah coils are toast - they die sooner or later

ahh k i see, well i got some more information ive noticed now its missfiring only when its cold like early in the morning when the weather is warmer its fine, is this also sign of coils? just wanting make sure before i got and spend 600

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

• Car(s):Stagea RS4

ahh k i see, well i got some more information ive noticed now its missfiring only when its cold like early in the morning when the weather is warmer its fine, is this also sign of coils? just wanting make sure before i got and spend 600

I got a set of these a couple of weeks ago and they are great. http://www.skylinesa...o...80&start=80
Only cost me $350 with post and they are about to release the series 2 versions also.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

ahh k ill keep that an option then, anyone have anymore experience with why its missing now with smaller gapped plugs only in cold weather?

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

• Car(s): cefiro
im pretty sure as well that higher up the rpm the voltage to the coils drop which will make the car miss. you have to run a relay to the coils which will give it constant power. well thats wat im going to try with my ceffy.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

my old skyline 32 gtst 242.5rwkw & 12.1 @ 113mph
cefiro yet to be dynoed
www.antilag.com

GRIM PERFORMANCE

For all your peformance work on the north shore call Dennis 0407950180

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost
Nitrous is like ur best mates girlfriend, you know you really shouldnt but you still want to hit it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users