SAU Community

NISMO Plenum for GTR

Roy

The NISSAN * motor sport * international corporation adds sets one for skyline GT-R " NISMO intake collector ", we sell the NISMO shop of entire country, the NISSAN dealership and the NISSAN part dealership, via the famous shop, and the NISMO product handling shop et cetera.

The " NISMO intake collector ", skyline GT-R (the BNR32, the BCNR33 and the BNR34) the tuning engine (400 - the 600ps) is the intake manifold collector which pursues the form which is optimum to business. It develops on the basis of NISMO Z-tune concept, skyline GT-R (the BNR34) installs in also the " NISMO R34GT-R Z-tune Proto Ver.2002 ". By diameter of the inlet pipe and the fact that cross section of length and the collector was taken a second look, the air inflow to each cylinder was improved, medium speed torque improvement was actualized. 400 - Such as user and as for size modification of the turbocharger the increase of turbo lag where we would like to assure the compatibility of output efficiency improvement and fuel economy improvement with the tuning engine which has the output of the 600ps transient efficiency deteriorates, being the user which we would like to avoid, the user where we would like to assure further output improvement with while it is the turbocharger which presently has been used in the main target was developed.

Installation is the volt/bolt on type whose additional manufacture such as piping is unnecessary, (the throttle linkage, adjustment of the throttle sensor is needed).

NISMO intake collector

Way distribution of the air to each cylinder becomes equal, vis-a-vis the genuine products form improvement

Depending upon the inhalation quantitative improvement between the front / rear side cylinder, turbine entrance aerodynamic volume displacement temperature difference between both small becomes

* Front and back turbocharger entrance exhaust gas temperature difference of 2,400rpm - 7,600rpm average 18% improvement

Because exhaust gas temperature difference between the front / rear side cylinder becomes small, both the front / rear side cylinder be able to optimize air/fuel ratio & ignition timing, output and improvement of fuel economy actualization

* 4,800 - Output average 1.8% to improve with the 7,600rpm, simultaneously fuel economy average 0.4% improvement

155,000 yen

That's what I don't get about plenums/intakes like this .....

People say that these front facing plenums make cylinders 5 & 6 lean cause all the air gets shunted to the rear of the intake. And I understand the argument here.

YET - they make the rear of the plemum narrower - when actually increases air velocity -

Anyway _ I am no physics professor - so I can hardly make a comment.....

Just one last one though - seems like Nismo doesn't like the volumetric displacement of a larger plenum - this one looks tiny.....

Just my 2c - .........

I CBF reading that appalling Engrish - it sounds like they made it as small and high velocity as possible. I think it uses the standard 6 throttle bodies instead of the Q45. Interesting as it goes against standard practice. Most large plenums (Jun, Greddy etc.) uses the Q45.

T.

It isn't hollow in there. Don't forget that there are deflectors and air guides in there to direct, slow and shuffle the airflow as they need it.

It took them long enough to release a NISMO plenum for the RB26, I guess it took a lot of work on the flowbench and CAD programs to get it just right.

As for not seeing any throttle bodies, that's because this plenum bolts straight onto the stock 6 throttle bodies.

I've never seen a NISMO item that didn't fit perfectly and do exactly what they claimed it did, and NISMO claim that this plenum achieves "distribution of the air to each cylinder becomes equal"

That said, I sure as hell ain't paying 155,000 yen for one eek3.gif

hmm, being cast alloy, i doubt that there'd be any internal deflectors. Alot of aftermarket plenums which are made by speed shops use straight alloy piping and weld in nice bellmouths to smooth the flow of the air into each inlet port. If you've ever looked inside a standard RB26 plenum, it is simply curved (as part of the casting) on the entry to each cylinder's port. The shape and seemingly smaller volume would suggest to me, that Nismo aren't interested in making more torque with a larger volume plenum, but are more interested in even distribution and improved throttle response. They obviously must be relying on the turbo(S) to spool early and quickly, as when the boost comes into play, all of the flow rates and plenum acoustics go out the window...

• 6 months later...

Taikakara site used to have a dyno graph comparing with/without the Nismo Plenum. There was bugger all (few percent at most) power difference through the whole rev range.

The main claim to fame was that air distribution was normalised, preventing preferential flow to the rear cylinders. The main problem with this is leaning out of the rear cylinders, particularly when the AVERAGE a/f ratio is near the limit.

If you have an after market ECU, it is much cheaper to measure the individual exhaust runners (using an infrared thermometer gun) and trim the individual injectors whilst on the dyno. I richened up #6 cylinder by 5% and #5 cylinder by 3% which gave temperature differences within 10C front to rear. BTW - average temps were around 580C on the outside of the factory cast manifolds.

If you don't have a decent ECU, then spend your money on this first.

There is no baffling in the Nismo plenum, just bellmounts for each port. Might look smaller than the stock plenum but its slightly bigger. Its thinner but taller and you will gain slightly more torque and better throttle response. Look at it as a fine tuning tool for the RB26. Get it as one of the last things you do to your engine to complete everything nicely. Will complement any RB26 set up and I personally don't find it that expensive 1) compared to other (drag oriented) aftermarket plenums and 2) keeping in mind that this is a Nismo product (i.e., usually expensive but well made, well finished and obviously well researched)

If anyone is interested I have lots of detailed pix of it:)

with inlet plenums its not so much a case of high hp gains, if you are expecting that then look at other products because you ait gonna get much gains with these things. Its just a a part that refines the air delivery to each cylinder therefore making an equal combustion x 6.

Some of the drag plenums will make you gain good hp, but that is simply because you are flowing a lot more air in hi-po engines. The nismo one is developed for a totally different application and you pay for the tooling, CAD designing, research, testing and so on. If you compare it to say the inlet turbo pipe (120,000), their sport radiator (150,000) a carbon rear wing flap for the BNR34 (120,000), a front BNR34 front bumper (110,000) you begin to understand what I'm saying about good value for Nismo;)

Hi guys, this plenum is not about power increases at steady state running, as on the dyno. It is about throttle response and even airflow across the cylinders.

What Gav has posted about evening out the A/F ratios by adding more fuel is totally sound. But there is more to it than that. Using Gav's numbers, he is putting 5% more fuel in #6, obviously to match the 5% more airflow that #6 gets from the inlet system. But that means cylinder #6 is producing 5% more power. Similarly 3% for #5.

So (simplistically) if Gav's engine makes 600 bhp then;

#1 = 98.5 BHP

#2 = 98.5 BHP

#3 = 98.5 BHP

#4 = 98.5 BHP

#5 = 102 BHP

#6 = 104 BHP

Now what do you think this does to the crankshaft, which gets a 104 bhp combustion hit from cylinder #6 and a 98.5 bhp combustion hit from #1? My opinion is that it would result in uneven running engine (like out of balance), premature wearing of the main bearings #5, #6 and #7, differential expansion rates (cylinder head and block) and premature block failure. When you get further up the power tree (eg; 1200 bhp) the problem gets worse. Obviously none of this shows up on the dyno.

So if you add this to the improved throttle response, which also doesn't show up on the dyno, then using one of these plenums maybe worthwhile. It really depends on your usage, eg; for a drag car I wouldn't bother, for a circuit race car it may well be worth the cost.

Hope that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Stock GTR intakes work well way beyond most PPLs needs so save your money.

i've worked a lot with Greddy GTR intakes and found fueling perfectly consistent so go that way if you need more . cost about 900FOB so their priced well.

one of our GTRs uses a Greddy plenum and makes 508rwkw on BP U98 and turns to 10100rpm with no need for fuel trim and has done 15000 extremely hard kms with no engine problems and has held 9000rpm in 5th gear over many ks.