SAU Community

Rb26dett Recommended Oil For Track Use

Big Laugh

Hi there all,

short intro!

I am new to SAU & new to forums!

Have recently purchased an R32 GTR. I think it is a barrel of laugh's (hense my user name). The vehicle is stock standard no boost controller only nice exhaust system.

Just wanted to know what engine oil would be recommended for a gtr r32 rb26dett in track use?

Do you think it would be safe to use standard sump and oil pump for super sprint and hill climb use?

The Big Laugh !

G'day Jay...

Best oil for track use IMO and most of the guys who track their R's here in Vic use Castrol Edge 10w60.

Secondly, for limited track use and the type of events you have indicated the std sump and oil pump will be fine - just keep in mind that oil pumps or the oil pump drive in the 32's are known to be weak points due to age and design. I would consider a new one with upgraded pump drive collar just for piece of mind. What I would highly recommend is a decent oil cooler with ducting etc.

Motul Chrono V Competition 15w50, best there is but not cheap.

Standard sump and oil pump are fine if they are in good condition, Overfill it a bit just in case though when u take it to the track.

If you think your stuff is in good condition then happy racing :happy:

I used Castrol Edge 10w60 for a while but have swapped to Penrite Sin 10w70 and haven't had any issues. You will probably get 10 different answers to your question as everyone has a different opinion etc...

Thanks Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I hope that I can be of some assistance some day.

I have been a bit worried about running with standard sump and oil pump, I probably will change things later if the engine gets pulled out. I have been watching the oil pressure and oil temp guage a lot just driving around town. Have noticed oil pressure has been good (4 @ 4,000rpm) when temperature is nice and hot when under load. But when it idles before shutting down the pressure drops too I guess the 2 mark (half way between 4 and zero). Ambient temp has been 35 to 39 degrees. Does this seem to be ok ?

I have also heard to run extra litre of oil. Is this too much ?

I am getting a catch can made up so if it is too much it could vent and not cause the seals to blow out and start leaks. Do you think it would help ?

Thanks

Jay

Thanks Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I hope that I can be of some assistance some day.

I have been a bit worried about running with standard sump and oil pump, I probably will change things later if the engine gets pulled out. I have been watching the oil pressure and oil temp guage a lot just driving around town. Have noticed oil pressure has been good (4 @ 4,000rpm) when temperature is nice and hot when under load. But when it idles before shutting down the pressure drops too I guess the 2 mark (half way between 4 and zero). Ambient temp has been 35 to 39 degrees. Does this seem to be ok ?

I have also heard to run extra litre of oil. Is this too much ?

I am getting a catch can made up so if it is too much it could vent and not cause the seals to blow out and start leaks. Do you think it would help ?

Thanks

Jay

I still have the standard sump in mine and run an extra half to one litre of oil, a few of the Vic guys do that from what I've read.

A catch can will help especially once out on the track and an oil cooler will definitely help out as well.

Ran mine on the track with stock bottom end an eventually killed it by then was running cams uprated turbos semislicks etc.

keep it basically stock boost etc street tyres you should be fine

oil cooler and slight overfill as mentioned are cheep insurance and worthwhile I think

bet ya cant keep it stock long though!

Start saving & hoarding parts now for the eventual rebuild though

Ran mine on the track with stock bottom end an eventually killed it by then was running cams uprated turbos semislicks etc.

keep it basically stock boost etc street tyres you should be fine

oil cooler and slight overfill as mentioned are cheep insurance and worthwhile I think

bet ya cant keep it stock long though!

Start saving & hoarding parts now for the eventual rebuild though

How much hp did you run to kill your motor?