SAU Community

How To: Bosch 040 Fuel Pump In R33 Skyline Si / Sii

DRFT33

I know this has been covered before, but I've added pictures to help.

- Gather all parts that you need. Fuel pump, fuel filter (highly recommended to replace), fuel hose and EFI clamps.

DSC03534.jpg

- Remove all boot trims and whatever else you have in your boot.

DSC03537.jpg

- Disconnect the negative cable on your battery.

DSC03539.jpg

- To the right of the battery there is the cover to access your fuel pump.

DSC03540.jpg

- Remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the cover to reveal the top of the fuel pump housing.

DSC03541.jpg

- Use some pliers to remove the hose clamp and disconnect the hose on the left. Use your fingers and pinch the fittings to disconnect the other two hoses on the right (They are a little tight).

DSC03542.jpg

- Using a screwdriver and hammer, carefully tap the collar anti-clockwise to remove.

DSC03543.jpg

- Lift the upper section of the fuel pump housing and then remove the remaining cradle off the bracket.

DSC03544.jpg

- Your about half way there!

DSC03545.jpg

- Disconnect the wiring off the fuel pump using an 8mm socket and a Phillips head screwdriver.

DSC03547.jpg

- Loosen the hose clamps and remove fuel pump and rubber from cradle.

DSC03548.jpg

- Install a new section of hose about 5-7cm long with a new hose clamp on the cradle to the pump.

DSC03559.jpg

- Install a new section of hose about 50cm long with new hose clamps on the top cover to cradle.

DSC03556.jpg

- Using a hack saw, cut off the end of the cradle and file until you have a smooth finish on the metal.

DSC03560.jpg

- Install new Bosch fuel pump and take note of the position where it needs to be.

DSC03561.jpg

- Your almost there! Cut off old terminals on wiring and use about 7cm of new wiring to solder on new terminals.

DSC03562.jpg

- Install wiring and there you have it. At this stage, it would be a good idea to use some parts cleaner to clean the top cover.

DSC03563.jpg

- Start by inserting the fuel pump and cradle section back into the tank.

DSC03564-1.jpg

- Using a torch and some skill, install the cradle back onto the bracket. (Double check that it is installed correctly).

DSC03565-1.jpg

- Reinstall your hoses.

DSC03566-1.jpg

- Reinstall the collar. Use rubber grease on the collar and also rub some of the fuel pump O-Ring.

DSC03567-1.jpg

- Plug it all in, reinstall the cover with 4 10mm bolts, reinstall all boot trims and reconnect the battery.

DSC03568-1.jpg

- Replace your fuel filter (No pictures it is straight forward).

- Start your car and everything should be perfect :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

LOL @ garden hose... i don't think anyone would but its a good call.

The green FUEL hoses i used as pictured are actually quite expensive - Speedflow @ $30 per metre.

Edited by DRFT33

i refitted my bosch 040 in my 33 after the guy owned it before me sta it in the factory position so i could use a full tank of fuel and get rid of fuel surging round corners, was a good write and showed me where to position the pump correctly to get the most out of it without the noisy pump issue

just becarefull as i had mine suck up a pump full of sedement and had to pull the tank out to clean it, this is not a fun job on a R33 at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You guys reckn itl be the same process to replace it with an 044?? and whats the best way to secure the pump to the cradle? metal clamps i suppose?

An 044 is an external pump mate.

As Jet 20 mentioned, the 044 is an external pump, therefore it requires surge tank etc but intank is still possible.

You can still modify the cradle to fit a Bosch 044 pump. I bought an 044 (NOT an 040) pump off dangerman. He had it all set-up to go intank. Even my tuner was impressed as he'd never seen it done before.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a 044 in-tank and its very noisy, it that normal? Also "nathan76", how did you remove the fuel tank? Is it simple or do you have to dismantle a few things to get to it?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm definitely green when it comes to fuel systems... so i'm just curious does everyone who chucks in a 040 NOT have some sort of filter on the end of it? like the oem or walbro? sounds like a very easy way to get shit stuck in your fuel lines... sure the fuel filter in the engine bay may stop it... but still there is alot of piping in between.

Cheers

Camden

I'm definitely green when it comes to fuel systems... so i'm just curious does everyone who chucks in a 040 NOT have some sort of filter on the end of it? like the oem or walbro? sounds like a very easy way to get shit stuck in your fuel lines... sure the fuel filter in the engine bay may stop it... but still there is alot of piping in between.

Cheers

Camden

There is a filter/mesh on the bottom of the 040 pump

Just wanting to know how to attached the wires to the top of the pump?

I see you put "O" terminals on the wires, but what size nut (if you used a nut) did you use to attach them to the pump itself?

great write up, will be upgrading to this pump due to this write up haha! looks nice n easy!!! Cutting the bracket where the stock pump sits then hose clamping the pump to the cradle that remains perfectly fine? I cant see why it wouldnt be, anyone had any issues? So the aftermarket pump does have the same 'sock' the standard pump has?

Edited by Newy

So the aftermarket pump does have the same 'sock' the standard pump has?

No, the Bosch 040 is internally filtered, it is the mesh on the end of the pump. Also to answer my question about the Nut's, you need to use a 5mm and a 6mm nut. The positive and negative poles are 2 different sizes, also for the new wiring you can use normal hook up wire - i spoke to an auto electrician, i would suggest maybe a 15amp rated wire.

I shall be installing mine soon enough.

• 2 months later...