SAU Community

M35 Manual Conversion?

zei20l

Oh man, you just killed me with this Dale!

I'm so stoked with my mum's Golf Mk. VII hatch, and am tempted to get a wagon as a daily (shame I can't justify spending two lots of insurance and rego). If it's even offered as a GTI it would be awesome just to see them on the roads here, even if I can't afford one for myself as an only car (after getting rid of the Stagea).

A Highline 103TSI wagon with DSG just like Mum's would be awesome, even in the same colour. A set of wheels, slight lowering, exhaust, tint, and it's pretty much done! If tuning options become available, then I'd consider them.

I only ever start thinking about the " oh fu€k " when I go to resell, end up losing money and wish I had more money to spend on my next vehicle. Lack of funds = missed opportunity.

Good resale is not losing crap loads of money, you don't need to make a profit. If I broke even at a point of sale, then I was happy.

Most of the time with modified vehicles, I ended up spending lots of money, investing lots of time, stuck with a highly modified old car by the time I got bored with it. People were reluctant to buy because they don't know what kind of "can of worms" it was and for the same asking price, could purchase a newer more modern car that had superior design and engine qualities stock standard.

I guess I just got tired of always being broke.

I think the point I was trying to get across was misunderstood. I was trying to explain my opinion about modifying cars and why to me the money side is redundant, but the effort, time, sweat blood and tears that went into it shouldn't be regretted. It's a hobby and it's done because it's enjoyed.

lol, I love it. Makes me look forward to saving for the next piece of the never ending puzzle. My partner on the other hand..... :domokun:

I get your aim, I understand what you're saying but I'm just trying to get my opinion across. I'm just tired of people saying that modifying a car is a waste of time and money, to me money is just one of the obstacles to modifying my car even if I was a 100billiontyaire I'd still buy cars to modify myself and buy cars that don't need it.

OH! Welcome to the Axis S club aswell, good to have another around :D.

Edited by M35woah

Oh man, you just killed me with this Dale!

I'm so stoked with my mum's Golf Mk. VII hatch, and am tempted to get a wagon as a daily (shame I can't justify spending two lots of insurance and rego). If it's even offered as a GTI it would be awesome just to see them on the roads here, even if I can't afford one for myself as an only car (after getting rid of the Stagea).

A Highline 103TSI wagon with DSG just like Mum's would be awesome, even in the same colour. A set of wheels, slight lowering, exhaust, tint, and it's pretty much done! If tuning options become available, then I'd consider them.

I've just bought the 118TSI Highline....good car imo

Typical Stagea owners. Can never stay on topic! This has nothing to do with VW Golfs etc. and whether your mum has one. :P

It's about converting the M35 to manual!

:ph34r:

OH! Welcome to the Axis S club aswell, good to have another around :D.

Cheers, yes the PNM35 Axis 350S seemed the better car with improved interior and lower fuel /100km usage.

I have been eyeing up a set of Cosco sway bars and an interior bar but will see if the ride actually requires any " safety " bolt on parts before I get too carried away.

I think that would be my limit, sway bars and a bit of business sign writing on the back window.

( cough cough ) ... Maybe the factory nav system with English conversion.

Not sure what's available in NZ yet and getting around the Japanese yahoo auctions is a nightmare. :)

A set of wheels, slight lowering, exhaust, tint, and it's pretty much done! If tuning options become available, then I'd consider them.

Off topic but what do you mean tuning options Nick? Pretty sure we do ecu tunes for them at my work, or piggyback modules depending on what's available. We do heaps of VW mk5/6 stuff, even the dsg can be tuned for sportier performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am still new and pretty quiet please do correct me if I am wrong about this I am hear to lean as much as anyone else..

I am still a stagea virgin but as I always tend to do before I buy something new I dream about all the options of things I can do.

Im going to take a couple of quotes from this other thread..

Vq25det To Vq35det Conversion In M35 Stagea?

dare say your best speaking to scott about this as he's done the most research into this affair.

i know however the blocks are identical and you can use turbo components from a vq25det to make a vq35det from a vq25det and vq35de

you would think if the block was the same the bolt pattern for the gearbox would be identical also... but dont quote me on that.

Yup the engines will bolt up to either transmissions.

M35 came with a VQ35DE and AWD so youre really not doing anything that hasnt already been done

since it seems the transmission from a VQ35 will bolt to a VQ25

would you be able to use this VQ35 engine to RB26 transmission adaptor and bolt it up to your VQ25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/transmission-adapter-bracket-for-VQ35-engine-and-RB26-transmission-/350544193409

rb26tovq35_zps312f7ac3.jpg

RB26tovq35flywheel_zpseeca0728.jpg

sorry if this is leading down the wrong path

Jarrod

Edited by stripey

While I think the block has gearbox bolt holes in a similar spot, the sump would need to be swapped from the 3.5 to fit the gearbox adapter. What are you hoping to achieve though Jarrod? Do you want a 33 GTR box in there?

While I think the block has gearbox bolt holes in a similar spot, the sump would need to be swapped from the 3.5 to fit the gearbox adapter. What are you hoping to achieve though Jarrod? Do you want a 33 GTR box in there?

I'm just dreaming at this stage.. in the market for an ar-x four something a little bit luxury fun and practical but missing the manual I have always owned manuals and never found an automatic gearbox that shifts when it should.

found this product today and thought it would be something of use for those looking at an M35 manual conversion without having to find someone to modify a bellhousing just a bolt on product

still an expensive process from the prices on things you would need but none the less a little bit easier having a bolt on solution if it where to work..

It has been on ebay US for about 2 years, but going to an RB box has it's own issues, namely the transfer case is 160mm further forward.

At least the 350z 6 spd bolts up, although as with that adapter, the starter is right where the turbo sits. The 350z box can take a starter on either side though...

• 4 months later...

Soon I will be making an adaptor plate similar to the one jarrod posted above, but hopefully at around half the price and the standard starter motor position will still be used.

Keep us updated.

Interested.

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old thread, i have a few ideas most of which probably wont work :( . But been looking at petrol hilux 4x4 gearboxes as they have the transfer on drivers side. And some have electronic transfer control so no second stick in cab , problems i see will probably outweigh any gains but, custom bellhousing , custom front and rear prop shaft and custom mounts only positive is they are around $400 second hand. Just an idea as not many nissan gearboxes have transfer on drivers side and there are thousands of these gearboxes floating around even in my state of tasmania

I have nothing to add if people intend on staying AWD but i'm hoping that by this time next week my M35 will be for all intent purposes 6sp manual rwd. Few tricks along the way but it seems to be nearing the end.

If it will even start and not throw error codes that prevent me from driving it is a totally different question that won't be answered until the next few days :P

Edited by Beregron
  • Like 2

Beregron do you have a write up/build thread? Looking for details like:

are you using a Z33 box?

Custom tailshaft or found something to fit from another vehicle?

What pedal box?

Any other issues like clutch/flywheel etc?

Beregron do you have a write up/build thread? Looking for details like:

are you using a Z33 box?

Custom tailshaft or found something to fit from another vehicle?

What pedal box?

Any other issues like clutch/flywheel etc?

I don't have a build thread yet and to be honest i'm not sure i'll do one. Maybe. Still lots to work through till i'm happy with the car which is mainly to do with tuning and i keep missing out of good sets of Work Meisters on gumtree (i assume i'll just have to buy new form Japan).

I'm using a 350z box

Custom Tail shaft using the ends from a 350z from memory (this will hopefully be done by the weeks end)

350z Pedal box however the clutch pedal needs modifying (also should be sorted by weeks end)

Clutch and flywheel to suit the 350z box (from memory i went with an Xeedy item but i'd have to check as i'm not at home where all the info is)

Things to note... Due to starter motor issues everyone is mentioning is you have the option of mounting either side when using 350z/V35 box / sump. If you use a Starter from a LHD Infiniti (i had to buy one from the States obviously) it will bolt up perfectly on the drivers side as there will be no room in the standard position due to turbo clearance.

I'm really going to have to reach out to others and my local tuner for options once all is sorted. In the end this will only be my daily wagon but i want to something manual and really fun to drive with enough power to play with. Looking at recent threads re: turbo options i have a feeling i'll be revisiting turbo selection in the new year too. I should also save a fair bit of weight through this whole exercise too thanks to going RWD manual :P

More info to come more than likely next week

Hope this helps.

Edited by Beregron

• 1 month later...