SAU Community

Got Over 400kw Atw?

T04GTR

Proof is in the pudding. But still dubious of the 300-400% claim. Can someone point me in the direction of a good article on this?

My understanding from the old Iron Carbon diagram has always been strength-Ductility-toughness vs hardness is greatly dependent on the rates of heating and cooling etc and grain size and type. With cryo freezing you are not changing the grain structure type/composition, rather just refining the grain structure by making it slightly smaller and more uniform. So you are not increasing the UTS etc of the component, but stress relieving it so that it wont fail at its weakest point.

At work ATM, will post up excerpt from textbook tomorrow. But yeah basically what I got from it was that you're not actually make the gears any stronger.

Please don't get confused here... strength and hardness are two different properties. Hardness will most likely increase as a result of cryogenic treatment due to the formation of martensitic grain structure in the steel. With increased hardness the material wll become more brittle.

But this is just piss in the wind, I doubt anyone knows what steel the gears are exactly or if anyone has examined the grain structure before and after to know whether it has actually made a difference.

Please don't get confused here... strength and hardness are two different properties. Hardness will most likely increase as a result of cryogenic treatment due to the formation of martensitic grain structure in the steel. With increased hardness the material wll become more brittle.

But this is just piss in the wind, I doubt anyone knows what steel the gears are exactly or if anyone has examined the grain structure before and after to know whether it has actually made a difference.

Ring Heat Treatment Australia. Their exact words were: 'improves the strength of the metal by 300-400%'. This certainly does not mean you are wrong, just relaying what they said as I am definitely no expert

They do the same thing to ambulance rotors and get more than double the life out of them. Not sure about the formation of martensitic grain structure but I know for a fact the gearboxes we have done are definitely stronger, which is the point.

I wonder with the ambulance rotors if that affects braking power?

I was always under the assumption that softer rotors provide better braking. With ambulances though, it is only designed for street conditions so that would be ideal for longevity.

OK I have finally made it to the 400 kw thread.

Car running rb26 block and -5's

Car made on 19psi 420rwks - I'm wrapped :D

Massive thanks to Trent & Cat from Chequered tuning who tuned the car over the weekend (wouldn't go anywhere else)

Trent tuned a felxi fuel set up on my Autronic

Also a huge thanks to Tas (Power Glide GTR) for getting the car to where it is - car has turned out mint mate :)

This is a hub result, yeah?

yeah, but my car has read 350'ish awkw on 98 at Chasers 4WD dyno and 356rwkw on 98 at Trent's dyno. I'm due for a service and what-not, so i'll try and can get a Racepace one done as well.

For Melbourne, Trent's dyno is inline with all other big shops

i was under the impression it was 20psi

doesn't sound that far fetched... i got 400rwkw on 256 cams at 21psi - this car has bigger cams would seem reasonable i guess

It's E85 as well remember :)

420kw on 19psi is.....questionable.

Your kidding right !!

I dont jump in on these threads much but I've seen plenty of cars in Japan running 1.3 bar and pushing well over 400kw.

I know of a few floating around oz as well.

You dont need big boost to make response and power, just a well built motor top to bottom.

well if its a hub dyno then yea its goin to read higher,

mine made 375rwkw on a chasis dyno, on gate spring pressure which was around 18 psi

cam gear set on 0 and on Pump gas

LIke Marcus said, everything needs to be set up correctly.... EVERYTHING!

and everyone else has missed the fact the Trent's dyno DOESN'T read higher than other dyno's in melb :rolleyes:

It made 370rwkw on 98, which is about what you'd expect for 98 for '5s RB26 - it's around what the RP cars make on 98, Chasers cars make on 98 etc. If an RP car came up in a thread saying they made 370rwkw with -5's on a 98, no one would blink an eye and think it's just par for the course.

Hub dynos read higher if the operator wants them to read higher

I believe the red line was on pump, fuel to the fire I believe mine made over 380 on pump...

That is a 40kw gain from pump to e85 which is just awesome.

Great result making 420rwkw on a low 19-20psi!