SAU Community

Need Advice On Tyre Selection Folks!

HOSTILE

Hey guys, tried a search but couldn't get what i was after... so here goes.

Need to get some new rubber on my GTR.

I am gonna be using it for some street (not my daily car) and some track days.

Need to get 265/35/18 size and want something good without breaking the bank... what do you guys recommend or use yourself, and where is best to purchase??

Cheers, Martin.

Edited by HOSTILE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was going to make a thread about tyres :bunny:

according to the latest motor mag tyre test 2008, the best performing tyres are:

Bridgestone Potenza RE001

Maxxis Victra i-Pro

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

Pirelli P Zero Nero

Continental Sportcontact 3

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

Federal 595 Evo

i have a shitty printed version of the results, but if anyone can scan their issue of Motor, that would be great.

I have the Maxxis Victra i-Pro, and seeing as they can compare with the Bridgestone Potenza RE001, they are definately bang for buck, at least $300 cheaper at all 4.

The best all rounder being the Bridgestone Adrenaline RE001, which only seemed to finish mid way through the list in the various wet tests.

Can't find any other information, though... I only just Google'd that!

Edit: Wheels 2008 Tyre Test is here: http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/site/ar...A25745000255724 if that's any use to anyone?

Edit #2: Here's the results of the Motor 2008 Tyres Test: http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forum/members-l...-test-08-a.html

Edited by CRoNic...

taken from a VW forum:

I know i know its going to end up with "they didn't do this, they didn't do that" etc etc. Take it for what it is... a tyre test on the day! Summarised results below, car used was a Renaultsport Clio 197, Michelin and Kuhmo didn't participate as they didn't make a tyre in the Clio's size and Yokohama declined to participate... wtf? This year they tested 8 road tyres and 4 semi-slick road legal tyres. I'll list all contenders for first test but cos i'm lazy i'm only putting the top three in each test.

Test 1 - Dry Slalom

1. Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001 13.1s

2. Dunlop Sp Sport Maxx 13.2s

3. Maxxis Victra i-pro 13.3s

4. Pirelli P Zero Nero 13.3s

5. Federal 595 Evo 13.4s

6. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 13.4s

7. Continental Sportcontact 3 13.5s

8. Goodyear Eagle F1 13.6s

Semi-slicks

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE55 12.8s

2. Toyo Proxes R888 12.8s

3. Dunlop Direzza 03G 13.0s

4. Federal 595 RSR 13.3s

Test 2 - Wet Slalom

1. B'stone Potenza 13.2s

2. Dunlop SP 13.5s

=3. Continental Sport 3 13.6s

=3. Goodyear F1 13.6s

S/S

1. Toyo Proxes 13.8s

2. B'stone Potenza 14.1s

3. Dunlop Direzza 14.2s

Test 3 - Dry Braking

1. B'stone Potenza 36.7m

2. Maxxis Victra 38.1m

3. Goodyear F1 38.3m

S/S

1. Dunlop 34.2m

2. B'stone 34.4m

3. Toyo 34.7m

Test 4 - Wet Braking

1. Goodyear F1 38.1m

2. Dunlop SP 39.4m

3. Pirelli 39.5m

S/S

1. Federal 39.4

2. Dunlop 39.6m

3. Toyo 39.6m

Test 5 - Lateral G Dry

1. Maxxis 1.01g

=2 Pirelli 1.00g

= Hankook

= Federal

=B'stone

S/S

1. Dunlop 1.08g

2. B'stone 1.07g

=3. Toyo 1.04g

=Federal

Test 6 - Lateral G Wet

1. Goodyear 1.04g

=2. Hankook 0.96g

= Dunlop

= Contiental

S/S

1. Dunlop 1.02g

2. B'stone 0.98g

=3. Toyo 0.96g

= Federal

Test 7 - Lap times

=1. Federal 39.9s

=. Hankook 39.9s

3. Goodyear 40.0s

S/S

1. B'stone 39.1s

2. Dunlop 39.1s

3. Federal 39.4

Test 8 - Apex Speeds

1. Pirelli 63.2kmh

2. Maxxis 63.1kmh

3. B'stone 62.4kmh

S/S

1. Dunlop 66.7kmh

2. Federal 66.2kmh

3. B'stone 65.3kmh

Overall scores

1. B'stone

2. Maxxis

3. Goodyear

S/S

1. Dunlop

2. B'stone

3. Toyo

Overall road tyre winner Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001, closely followed by the Maxxis Victra i-pro (which are also $324 cheaper for a set!). Overall semislick winner was Dunlop by some margin.

Pretty good value out of the Bridgys as well, if you remove the dead last by some way Federals the Bridgys are third cheapest at $296/tyre... and you should be able to find em cheaper than that as well.

I have Yokohama Advan Neovas on my GTR... From the little I've experienced so far, they're pretty damn good!

Have also heard really good things about the Federal 595s or whatever they are called...

My Dad has Bridgestone Adrenalines on his M3, and has done track stuff in it with them, and raves about them.

Also, I don't know what other sizes they make them in, but on my MX5, the most grippy tyres I had were Michelin Pilot Precedas. The thing was on rails!

Bec

Edited by Deli Rep

motor mag always says bridgestone every year, i get the feeling there's a sponsorship deal in that somewhere.

city discount tyres has some good retreads that work well on my dato, pm me if you need the address :/

and mx5's are always on rails :/

Edited by Inline 6

motor mag always says bridgestone every year, i get the feeling there's a sponsorship deal in that somewhere.

city discount tyres has some good retreads that work well on my dato, pm me if you need the address :/

and mx5's are always on rails :/

Lol retreads! My mate bought 4 of them for his Colt for like $20 each!

I've got Federal 595ss on my Legnum at the moment (mid range of the Federals) and for the price they are fantastic. If you are going to use it for track, look at the Federal 595 RS-R's (semi slick) and they'll probably suit your purpose well at a good price.

Just my 2 cents.

Though I'm not a Skyline owner (used to own 33 GTR Vspec II) now a Supra man.

I'm currently running the Federal 595 RS-R and all I can say so far it's a great tyre. A lot of grip and the tread patterns seem to clear the water on the road.

Prior to this I had a set of Michelin tyres and they would wheel spin after 5k but now with the new tyres, no more wheel spin. Reason I purchased this as I got it at almost trade price. 2 x 235/40/R18 at $360 each and 2 x 265/35/R18 at $410 each.

I've got Federal 595ss on my Legnum at the moment (mid range of the Federals) and for the price they are fantastic. If you are going to use it for track, look at the Federal 595 RS-R's (semi slick) and they'll probably suit your purpose well at a good price.

I've heard that the RSRs are a street-legal semi-slick... Does anyone know if this is correct?

Bec

Edited by Deli Rep

i agree Danny, Nankang and Toyo would have been two good tyres to test as well

I've been running the toyo T1R's for over 18 months now. Superb tyre, and not too expensive... they're probably one of the best I've driven in wet conditions with.... cant compare them to any other tyre but I've been told the Goodyear Eagle F1's are pretty damn good and I might give them a go when I need new rubbers

-D