SAU Community

Problems With Exhaust Sound R33 Gts4

Hey guys,

I’ve recently picked up a GTS4 Rb25de, and the guy who had it before me put a cheap cannon exhaust muffler (you know the fart box ones for Hondas)

From what I have heard non ts don’t sound that good with non standard exhaust systems, so I am at puzzled what to do.

The current muffler aint that bad it just when cruzing in 4th and 3rd its 2 load, and it pisses me off. I’ve got a few options but am struggling to find the best one.

Its either get a silencer which seems the best option, put a new exhaust system (but apparently NAs dont sound that gd with non standard systems) or I have my sisters stock s15 full exhaust laying about in my shed.

If anyone’s got a gts4 what sounds good? And if anyone has any ideas a reply wld b appreciated?? Thanks

N/A's can sound awesome with aftermarket exhausts, ive got a 2.5" system from extractors to the cannon with a race cat......and its pretty much a straight through system its petty damn loud and it sounds awesome...except there is on part of the rev range that it sounds average...but thats easily fixed....

you just need to get a good system put on and stop listening to idiots that diss non turbs...coz theyre idiots

Edited by ryder32

my car started out as a non turbo, but already came with a cat back momo course system... the rest was standard and it was fantastic, not drowny and absolutely barked when I put my foot down... but its a 3 and 1/2inch system, which is too big for an n/a.. so I dont know why it came on there, but now I miss that growl, turbos make it really quiet :blink:  unless boosting hard..

so have a look around, if you want something that you can control volume with, xforce make a muffler that can be controlled by remote to open and close a valve in the system to divert air around baffles or what ever you call them and makes the exhaust sound that quiet that it is legal... open up the valve and it is straight through and loud as buggery...

Adam

i hve an eclectic system that seems to work . coby headers. (d12) to cut down pipe and stock cat then three inch pipe bck to a reducer 3inch to 2.5 ..thena calsonic back box...

the car revs nice. and has a deep rumble, inthe oower range ..its an ccidnet of fate ive ended up with it but it seems to suit the car ...

only gripe is it hangs a tad low ...

you will find everyone likes there sound because they either made it to there 'specs' so your not going to get a straight answer. I would recommend looking into the actual parts (aftermarket ones or get a shops custom one, material and size) these are the factors that determine the sound. Then after that don't forget you have to alternate other parts with each component on the exhaust system to get a more distinct sound to your taste. Go to some exhaust shops that do some custom systems because i reckon a custom system is the best sounding and its not as much as aftermarket piece whih will be the same quality. They will talk every aspects from the quote to the materials and size you want :)

Becareful with your selection though, i've heard some terrible rb25de's that have that really annoying rasp sound in the mid range. Makes it sound like a dirty fart.

I've been driving around with the stock exhaust for a while, but i had a spare catback system from my brothers r33 gts which sounded really nice so i thought i would stick it on my r34. Suprise suprise it sounded the same on my car, really clean sounding with no rasp, picked up a bit of power in the top end too.

The cat back is just a custom system that can be made up at any good exhaust shop, its 2 1/2 inch with one redback resonator and one s/s cannon. I would recommend putting a resonator in there, it helps with the raspy sound that some na's get.

If i have time i'll try and post up a youtube vid of it.

Edited by R34GTFOUR

I've been driving around with the stock exhaust for a while, but i had a spare catback system from my brothers r33 gts which sounded really nice so i thought i would stick it on my r34. Suprise suprise it sounded the same on my car, really clean sounding with no rasp, picked up a bit of power in the top end too.

If i have time i'll try and post up a youtube vid of it.

did you have to modify the exhaust at all for it to fit your 34? i didnt know they were interchangable like that... and please do post a vid :) i really wanna hear it

did you have to modify the exhaust at all for it to fit your 34? i didnt know they were interchangable like that... and please do post a vid ;) i really wanna hear it

the shape of the exhaust is identical, the r33 system might be the smallest of amounts longer (which makes sence because the r34s are shorter than r33s). The rubber mount locations are a little different, i was about an inch away from being able to use the stock mounts. I did a dodge and used cable ties as my friends to help "support" the mounts haha, its only staying on for a month or so until my new engine goes in, it was more for a laugh than anything :P

My neighbour is a real pain in the ass, so when i get a spare sec i'll give it a rev and upload it. Maybe tonight, or tomoz.

• 3 months later...
I’ve recently picked up a GTS4 Rb25de, and the guy who had it before me put a cheap cannon exhaust muffler (you know the fart box ones for Hondas)

wrong.

car came with it ,

if you want a tuff exhaust note , get a straight through

all depends on what you like.

straight through on a na? that would be stupidly loud for the street and sound like poo...

Just the drone you would get on the freeway would make you want to drive straight into a tree

as i said, depends on what you like.

hks silent power would sound good on the NA imo

i have a straight through on my car but my HKS dump pipes give it a beefier note as opposed to stock pipes