SAU Community

R33 Gts4 Engine Swap To A Turbo

hey im gonna do a turbo conversion to my GTS4 and have been weighing up my options and it looks good to me to put a RB25DET into my car.... but just wondering if the new engine gets bolted onto my sump will the FWD still work?

and what sort of wireling loom, extra pipes and ecu will i need? my bro is a mechanic but more with holdens he can do it for me with his mate who works on all types of cars (includeing turbos) but just need me to understand what parts i will need for it to be done and still have my FWD system.

Also if i do this it will be over xmas and will be taking pics and having a diary of it so it will be good to have in this section

thanks again

Hey mate, why are you choosing to get a new engine over turboing your current one ??

I choose to keep my current engine to avoid hassles with the 4wd stuff, but yeh, I think if you keep your sump and put the rest of a turbo motor ontop you should be ok...

most of this stuff has been covered before.

i'm not 100% on what you are actually asking though. you can still make the 4wd work, or you can chose not to - its up to you

as long as you have a healthy engine and dont fang all the time you dont have to swap the internals.... im running 14psi atm on a much larger then stock turbo and may be going to 16psi in 2 days... if you are planning on running more then that then u'll be getting forged internals anyway... plus are you using a standard turbo? they wont go much past 10-12psi anyway....

If you want it to stay as a 4wd then its going to not work getting a rb25det from a GTST. First hand experience with gts-4 engine is they are just a mixed engine. Probity best to bolt a turbo on for money sake but if you want a engine then you need, Stagea engine. Fit a gts-4 no problem :domokun: a GTST engine wont even fit in your engine bay because it will sit on the drivetrain and a GTS-4 engine is shaped same as a GTR at the sump so it wont fit getting a GTST engine and swapping the sump

If you want it to stay as a 4wd then its going to not work getting a rb25det from a GTST. First hand experience with gts-4 engine is they are just a mixed engine. Probity best to bolt a turbo on for money sake but if you want a engine then you need, Stagea engine. Fit a gts-4 no problem :Pa GTST engine wont even fit in your engine bay because it will sit on the drivetrain and a GTS-4 engine is shaped same as a GTR at the sump so it wont fit getting a GTST engine and swapping the sump

Very intersting! I didnt know that... I heard they did match up? :domokun: but if youve had first hand experience then good enough for me!

and also HannibalK1ng, im on my P's... planning on having a front mount intercooler or noisy bov??? they will be all over you if you answered yes to either of those....

im running a much larger turbo then standard... my internals are fine... why would you change them for only 10-12psi?!

but atleast youve choosen the easier option of turboing your current motor...

Very intersting! I didnt know that... I heard they did match up? :domokun: but if youve had first hand experience then good enough for me!

and also HannibalK1ng, im on my P's... planning on having a front mount intercooler or noisy bov??? they will be all over you if you answered yes to either of those....

im running a much larger turbo then standard... my internals are fine... why would you change them for only 10-12psi?!

but atleast youve choosen the easier option of turboing your current motor...

hmm i brought a rb25de to do my engine and the whole engine is shaped differently (why the sump had not a chance in fitting) the rwd sump is the part that gets in the way on the drivetrain, then we tried every possibility in the world with the rb25de engine and in the end just used some parts off it on the gts4 engine that i have on a topic on at the moment :P

pretty happy it didnt fit because i have 50thou's now.

in regards to the build, new pistons are not your worries now as you will want to go bigger when your off your P's most likely and as much as i reckon your crazy doing it on your P plates, just keep it standard because a turbo is a big enough fine for now if it goes wrong. haha

haha if i get caught/in trouble and worst comes to worst ill take my mums purple/blue getz and she can drive my skyline :domokun:

if possible can u guys recommend a good FMI with all the pipes i will need? and with BOVs do the different noises provide difrent performance or is it all sounds? if so suggest one that goes susustisus like in this vid lol! http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRSg9BFdOE

thanks for all the suggestions!

haha if i get caught/in trouble and worst comes to worst ill take my mums purple/blue getz and she can drive my skyline ;)

if possible can u guys recommend a good FMI with all the pipes i will need? and with BOVs do the different noises provide difrent performance or is it all sounds? if so suggest one that goes susustisus like in this vid lol! http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRSg9BFdOE

thanks for all the suggestions!

you know... this is the reason I said if your going to have fmic or loud bovs that cops are going to be all over u? your mum isnt going to want to drive your car either because it will be cop bait even for her or if you do get caught she wont have a car because yours will be canaried!

interms of a fmic... if you arent looking to go over 400kw then one of those hybrid kits with all the pipings do the trick.. i have one, cheap, effective cooling, and hasent given me a single hassle!

now... I am not going to give you sh*t because you asked for your car to sound like this http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRSg9BFdOE...this time...but dont dare go onto the turbo threads and ask how to make your car sound like this because you will be flamed until the cows come home and then the thread blocked. so I'll give you a quick explanation of what that sound is.

basicly your bov recirculates air back around your system... the cho cho cho sound you hear is created by blocking off or removing your bov and instead of the air following the path it is meant to take it goes back through the system, and the sound it created as the turbo blades are cutting up the air the wrong way.

It is horrible for performance because it makes your turbo wheel spin the opposite direction before it can stop, jolt and spin the correct way its meant to, so it makes your car much more laggy and horrible to drive, ie very jerky, you can even stall some times.

Ontop of this IT DECREASES TURBO LIFE massivly as they were created to spin fluently in one direction... so this is a great way to blowup ur turbo, and possibly your motor if some of the rear fins fly into your engine.

SO... Dont do it! Get a standard bov that has a great sound anyway, and will keep your car running smooth and have better performance.

no prob mate, I know how daunting this can feel and there are so many options, so I want to atleast try to steer you in the right direction, cuz no one helped me the first time round :)

get everything standard except for the fmic, easier for installing and getting an idea how your engine handles it and less attention from the popo if worse comes to worse. if your engine can take it without blowing, slowly add the next mods.

Hope it goes well!

Adam

basicly your bov recirculates air back around your system... the cho cho cho sound you hear is created by blocking off or removing your bov and instead of the air following the path it is meant to take it goes back through the system, and the sound it created as the turbo blades are cutting up the air the wrong way.

It is horrible for performance because it makes your turbo wheel spin the opposite direction before it can stop, jolt and spin the correct way its meant to, so it makes your car much more laggy and horrible to drive, ie very jerky, you can even stall some times.

Ontop of this IT DECREASES TURBO LIFE massivly as they were created to spin fluently in one direction... so this is a great way to blowup ur turbo, and possibly your motor if some of the rear fins fly into your engine.

SO... Dont do it! Get a standard bov that has a great sound anyway, and will keep your car running smooth and have better performance.

Okay, SOOOO much wrong in what you've posted there...

Yes, the sound is the air being chopped as it flows backwards through the turbo. NO, the turbo does NOT slow down from the air going backwards through it. It slows down as most people run the wastegate source off the intercooler piping, which, when shifting, is still seeing MASSIVE amounts of air pressure, so the wastegate stays open, and there's SFA air keeping the turbo going on the exhaust side. Mix with that a huge resistance, and the turbo slows,but now because of air going backwards through it.

If it were so bad for turbo life, would nissan release the CA18DET without a BOV from the factory? Would Porsche run the GT3 especially in races without a BOV? Nope, they wouldn't.

The BOV was introduced for emmisions reasons, on an AFM car you need it there for emmisions, and to stop the car stalling, unless you run an aftermarket ECU and can tune around this issue.

I run a TD07 with a T04R comp wheel, and T66 exhaust wheel, ZERO lag between gear changes, and I run no BOV, why? My wastegate pressure source comes off the manifold, and helps keep the turbo spooled on gear changes AND my intake pipes are already pressurised as I re-open the throttle to slam air into the motor quickly and produce a shit load of exhaust gas to provide to the turbo.