SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Made my way to the United servo at Rozelle after work this arvo, first getting confused and stopping at the United at Drummoyne i realised i was at the wrong place lol.. kept going down victoria road and just after the bridge there she was.

I took pics but my stupid ghey phone keeps getting the pics corrupted :banana: so sorry maybe next time when i am there.

Anyway firstly the guy comes out from the store and says "no you cannot use this" i told him yes i can, and its ok and he said no you cant this for special cars....

So i said to him that i am a tuner and i have it all under control, he then asks me if the car is modified.. after telling him that i can run this fuel he says "if you use this the engine could get damaged" ok mate....

So filling up, was weird seeing the 2 numbers on the bowser stay sooo close to each other... the litres and dollars reminded me of a few years ago.

$62 filled up the tank!!! and it was on the E line.

So i start the car, it starts (still got some bp 98 and she starts properly) by the time i press F1 on the datalogit to connect to the ecu the car starts running like a bag of shit, barely staying alive.

So i go to file and open, and open the .dat file that i created the night before where i guessed the car should run to get me to move it out of the servo and to the side of the road to begin the long night ahead of me i had planned tuning it to be right, after clicking OK the engine just comes back to life and purrs like a kitten, the LAMBDA goes from 1.3 to 0.95 almost instantly and so does the smile across my face :bunny:

The next test was a rev, so i give her a rev, expecting a big lumpy rev of missing cyl's instead i hear the normal roar of the rb30 engine, then the smell of the exaust comes through the window, hmmmm that smells interesting, kinda like the smell of oil in a fry pan thats been sitting there after a few days of being used.

I take off out the driveway and down the road, lambda is sticking at about .98 to 1.02 the whole time, not a miss or a cough or a struggle in sight.

I was very pleased with myself, my guess tunes are getting pretty accurate these days.

On the way home i pulled over and chucked on my newly aquired Gizzmo KMON, loaded the software and put my head phones on, got some weird looks from people but at this stage i was too excited to care, i jumped into the timing map, highlighed the whole map and gave her a whole 10deg timing over the whole scale.

Set the gizzmo to record and went for a drive, car felt more responsive then before, felt like boost was commin on quicker, played back the quick drive and the knock did not go over 14, which is quite low for my RB30DET, so up goes another 10 deg over the whole map, i adjusted the idle back down 20deg, went for a drive and she is more responsive again! I could not believe it!

I was kinda thinking on the way home maybe the fuel i got is not e85, because i was thinking it cannot be that easy to convert over, untill i looked at the thermocouple EGT sensor and noticed exaust gas temps are down by a fair amount... ok it must be the real deal.

I noticed the cruise ign maps were set to 55deg so i dropped them down to around 48 to 50 in some parts and came home.

I walked to the back of the car and gave the exaust a quick whiff, it smells weird... more so like heated air then anything else, it seems very very clean.... I also noticed the exaust note sounded deeper and tougher, I am not sure why this happened.

So my conclusion is, BRING ON E85, I will dyno the sucker this weekend at newcastle, will fill up again on thursday night and fill up with the 20 litre container i have sittin in the back of the car incase i run out,

Getting ready for my emissions test on the 15th of october.. I would still LOVE to try the im240 with no cat converter but lets see what happens first before i go pulling off some tests like that.

Next test will be the cold start in the morning when i go to work!

Sounds good, but I'm just curious if you knew your fuel consumption on the 98 octane you use, and the E85.

I know E85 will be cheaper but I'm just curious how quickly the car will go through fuel...obviously been a modified car it will be difficult to compare unless you have your previous usage on the 98 octane fuel you were using and even then its not accurate but I'm curious :banana:

Great to see once again someone willing to be a guinea pig and stick your neck out.

cheers mate, allways keen to try new things!

Sounds good, but I'm just curious if you knew your fuel consumption on the 98 octane you use, and the E85.

I know E85 will be cheaper but I'm just curious how quickly the car will go through fuel...obviously been a modified car it will be difficult to compare unless you have your previous usage on the 98 octane fuel you were using and even then its not accurate but I'm curious :banana:

Yes i used to get 380 to 450km's to a tank with BP98 depending how i drove it. I came up with a magical number in my head when making up the map in datalogit on my pc at home which was spot on, and its no way near double then what it was, but i will say it is more then 25% consumption.

Good work

what's your fuel capacity like, my 740's went from 60% to 100%, not sure of fuel pressure i'm running, i just wound the nismo fpr on 1 1/2 turns, lol, but gained around 50 kw, atleast!

Mate i am going to flog that avtar of yours and make a few stickers from it!

hahahahaaa!! i love it!

I had to go for another drive, to test some WOT, i noticed the smell of my car was different! before i used to get a stale fuel smell ever since put a external fuel pump in the boot. Now the smell is much different!

I got 740cc's as well, what power levels did you run out at ? some more info ?

Good work

what's your fuel capacity like, my 740's went from 60% to 100%, not sure of fuel pressure i'm running, i just wound the nismo fpr on 1 1/2 turns, lol, but gained around 50 kw, atleast!

No worries I flogged it from a ethanol site in the US!

I've only got a hybrid 3076 that is a heat monster and struggled to go past 240 rwkw no matter how much psi i shoved into it! that was on a dyno dynamics dyno,

last power run it made 280 on a mainline, which i'm told would be smack on 300 on a dynamics, so i think your in trouble with the 740's, i've been looking for a 1000cc option so i can stick a 3582 on it!!

does smell nice, sorta makes you notice how much shit is in unleaded.

I've only added 4-5 degrees over map, when i added more it sounded angrier but didnt feel as smooth, most people say you dont need to add much timeing to get the most out of it, it wont knock, it'll go past MBT and you'll be loseing power!

the reason you can run that much ignition is because of the alcohol content.

its almost like running the car on methanol. 105 octane. this would be great for a drag car, but not so much a street car as you will think there is a hole in your fuel tank. methanol requires 2.5x the volume. ive been told by a couple of local tuners that this stuff is not much better. but well done for having a go. would be good to keep those maps stored for when you race it. fill it up then swap the map over.

Good work

do you have any dyno print outs ? with AFR / LAMDA ? what kinda mixtures were you running ? i just did a power run on the street and it spins the wheels hardcore, it went to 0.77 lamda which is very rich... what do you run it at ?

No worries I flogged it from a ethanol site in the US!

I've only got a hybrid 3076 that is a heat monster and struggled to go past 240 rwkw no matter how much psi i shoved into it! that was on a dyno dynamics dyno,

last power run it made 280 on a mainline, which i'm told would be smack on 300 on a dynamics, so i think your in trouble with the 740's, i've been looking for a 1000cc option so i can stick a 3582 on it!!

does smell nice, sorta makes you notice how much shit is in unleaded.

I've only added 4-5 degrees over map, when i added more it sounded angrier but didnt feel as smooth, most people say you dont need to add much timeing to get the most out of it, it wont knock, it'll go past MBT and you'll be loseing power!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=99917

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.ph...ight=E85+tuning

None of these are RB anything but may just give some insight into what others found with EJ's , LS1's , 4G63T's .

Hope it helps , cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03