SAU Community

Definitive Guide To Building 300-330awkw Gt-r

Of those people that have used cams what have you found with 300-330akw? I read that some of the guys in VIC actually went back to stock while still making decent power. Its hard to comprehend cams with similar duration and only more lift not helping the drivability but I am keen to hear from those that have actually done/been through it.

You can make 350kw on stock cams but you need more boost than you would with mild upgrade cams say tomei poncams. sure you can make the power but there are benefits to the upgrade when you are at that level of power.

So what's the consensus on boost needed to get into this power range?

20psi or more. 12psi and i have 250rwkw, stock cams etc etc

Of those people that have used cams what have you found with 300-330akw? I read that some of the guys in VIC actually went back to stock while still making decent power. Its hard to comprehend cams with similar duration and only more lift not helping the drivability but I am keen to hear from those that have actually done/been through it.

What seems to happen is not really seen on a dyno. Its on the street, well rather circuit that its noticed the most, better response on/off throttle and that kinda thing. So arguable in a street car in many respects.

I have a BNR32

BNR32

Mods are

Jun cam gears

Hks cam shafts

Jun valve springs

Garrett 25/60r Turbos

Power FC

Sard 660cc injectors

Bosch 040 in tank fuel pump

Apexi air pods

(Standed dump pipes, cat and AFM's).

Low Boost 14psi made 268kw High Boost 18psi 297kw.

So if i boost it alittle more i would see over 300kw's.

Ive done the bolt on upgrades from stock engine to 300kw i went

GT-SS turbos

Trust dumps

highflow cat

700 cc sards

nismo afms

tomei pump

power fc

tomei b cams and wheels

hks evc 5

294awkw @ 18psi

edit stock clutch blew in 2 days

post-30208-1221727742_thumb.jpg

Edited by spilmer

You should just ask Ben most of this stuff, as he is the tuner, he knows whats needed and what works best to make the power and achieve the driveability you want.

I know this because i asked him all the same questions you are when I had my engine built.

I asked about bigger/different afms as well, he said you dont need them, you can tune around it. After my tune Ben had my car running 326 on 17psi! ...2560-5 turbos. Stock cams, adj cam gears.

He also told me d-jetros arent the best for street, you get better fuel efficiency with afms.

D-jetros are better for big singles i rkn, with comp surge etc.

Cam gears are a must, theyre just too cheap for the gains you get from them.

Wheres Marcus? (Ronin09) Hes running a stock engine last time I spoke to him, i think with similar power you are chasing.

The key factor is what the tuner reccomends and can do with the cams. Stock cams aren't bad at all in fact they are very good. To get the most from aftermarket cams it takes lots of mucking around on a mild setup. However I still personally believe that the Tomei 260 units are superior all round for performance.

I have used the Tomei cams on a stock turbo'd motor and I was able to tune more power into it down low than you will see from any of the stock cam / turbo motors in the Rb26 sticky for that matter it would rival most small turbo RB30 hybrids. It made the power with less timing & boost.It was a great setup but, admittedly took lots of time buggerising around with the tune and that costs punters money.

If he replies he's doing it on his own time when it suits him rather than me hassling him with the same questions he's heard a million times. So I'm happy to sit on it for now.

Thanks heaps to everyone for your input. This is a good solid thread now.

We just need the guy who posted all the average power figures to pop them in here (I tried searching but couldn't find them) then we can sticky this.

is this what you mean?

Standard stroke only comparison, includes budget and built motors on 98';

The average for the 2530's is; 388rwkw

The average for the GT-SS is; 335.4 rwkw

The average power made by the -5's is; 313rwkw

Of the same data the best power of the -5's was 388rwkw

Best of the 2530's was ; 451rwkw.

Best of the GT-SS was 364rwkw

budget un-opened/ non-built motors maybe with just some drop in cams it looks like this;

-5's average ; 298rwkw

2530's average ; 358rwkw

GT-SS average ; 332rwkw

im in the process of forging my engine now,, was pushing 270awkw with stock internals/turbos/fuel system,

all i had was hks cam gears /intake (pods), super dragger 4" all the way, Power fc, and tuned ,, and she decided to pull the pin on me a few weeks ago...good fun while it happened tho!

Old setup on mine was,

Stock R33 engine

tomei 260's

80mm Z32 afms

700cc sard

non ported exhaust manifolds (untouched)

GT 2530's

hks dumps etc.

stock airbox with bigger inlet

apexi

adjustable cam gears on zero.

311RWKW @ 12

330RWKW @ 14

352RWKW running 17 psi

322AWKW @ 17 SAU dyno day.

Full boost at 4000ish

Pulled engine out due to flogged key way on crank cam gear. Bearings, rings and pistons were in good nick considering 100,000km from me. All in the tune and servicing, and luck of the draw too. Only damage was from rear ceramic turbo failure in it's original life in an R33 GTR.

New setup getting put in tomoz........hoping for the same and better lol.

Edited by GTRsean

• 2 months later...

this is really interesting, particularly the figures guys are quoting for the SS's.

I have a 97 33, with genuine (was one owner with books in Japan) 59,000 kays on it, only had a cat back and pods (still had boost restricter in the line :O).

engine compression came back all good, all above 155, within 1 or 2 of each other.

I have just had the following fitted (all new parts):

GTSS's, HKS dumps, mines stainless pro front, tomei manifolds, sard 700's, hks fuel pump and adjustable pressure regulator, tomei pon B's and cam gears, tomei cam cap stud kit, HKS racing chamber kit, decat, kaki mega 3.5 rear, PFC d'jetro, evc6, splitfires, and some other bits n pieces like essential catch can, mines cam cover baffles etc.

Now the car was put on the dyno at Xspeed on Wednesday for the first run, at about 4200 rpm and 15 psi with very rich AFR's as first run, no timing and no cam dial in (as first run) the clutch started to slip at 342 rwhp (X-speed's dyno is I have heard, conservative on power so maybe as high as 345 ish on others) and so the car foot was taken off the go pedal and the car removed from the dyno.

I have now (see other thread) ordered a HKS GD Max which will be here next week, installed and then the car returned to Ant for tuning. Being the eager person i am they have estimated that I will make 380 to 400 rwhp so I am a little confused and somewhat dissappointed with other figures quoted above indicating 330 odd kw which is closer to 450 hp, particularly when I have done every supporting mod possible.

anywho we will see what happens