SAU Community

Ran My Gtr @ The Creek

Marko R1

hi guys,

i ran my gtr last night, it has 325awkw.

in my last 2 runs i did as follows:

- 11.4 @ 127mph with 1.85 60'

- 11.3 @ 123mph with 1.70 60'

my last run had a better 60' because i did a mini launch to get some heat in the tyres BUT my mph dropped by 4mph!

i still feel that i cant get out of the hole quick enough which would be because i cant get traction with 18x9.5 rims (kumoh ecsta tyres 2 mths old). i was launching at 6000rpm which was ridiculously spininng, then went back to 5000rpm & it was still too much wheel spin & that was with 21psi all around.

im thinking i should get a set of genuine 16" r32 rims with maybe street tyres?

would the falkan azenis be better for this application or they too hard & wont heat up in time being a track specific tyre?

i was told that with my mph i can get a 10 if i sort out my 60' times & traction by using 16's - what are your thoughts guys?

regards,

marko

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

i ran my gtr last night, it has 325awkw.

in my last 2 runs i did as follows:

- 11.4 @ 127mph with 1.85 60'

- 11.3 @ 123mph with 1.70 60'

my last run had a better 60' because i did a mini launch to get some heat in the tyres BUT my mph dropped by 4mph!

i still feel that i cant get out of the hole quick enough which would be because i cant get traction with 18x9.5 rims (kumoh ecsta tyres 2 mths old). i was launching at 6000rpm which was ridiculously spininng, then went back to 5000rpm & it was still too much wheel spin & that was with 21psi all around.

im thinking i should get a set of genuine 16" r32 rims with maybe street tyres?

would the falkan azenis be better for this application or they too hard & wont heat up in time being a track specific tyre?

i was told that with my mph i can get a 10 if i sort out my 60' times & traction by using 16's - what are your thoughts guys?

regards,

marko

Hey Marco.

Ben here... you may remember me. im the guy you sold out when you got rid of your aus spec gtr!! Mate, no hard feelings at all. everything always happens for a reason, i bought a house instead and that was a much better investment!!! glad your still into the Gt-rs.. be nice to see you run in the 10's soon mate!!

Hey mate

Was your 32 the black one? . I had the bayside blue 34 GTR . I ran a pb last night 11.3@124mph with a 1.85 60ft . I have similiar dramas to you I'm running 19's with rubber band tyres . The answer is to get yourself some 17inch wheels and Mickey thompson street radials (thats if your car is a vspec if not 16inch 32 gtr wheels will do ) . I should be back out again week after next running this combo and a 10 is on the cards .

I think you came to my house once to buy something off me ??? . I used to have the white 32 vspec N1 with 2530's .

yes i remember u - ben right? i bought the blitz filters from u :D

my post is becoming a 'marko reunion' LOL

u sold that vspec right, what u got atm?

I think you came to my house once to buy something off me ??? . I used to have the white 32 vspec N1 with 2530's .

damn I hope the N1 went to a good home.

did it hold its value well?

michael

close Brett . Yeh sold the 32 a few years back . I've have a bayside blue 34 GTR now I was racing last night also .

i saw ur gtr - it has like a custom pearl in it or maybe it was the lighting?

black rims with polished lip, lowered...my mates were raving about your technique...

"u need to talk to the guy who drives the blue r34, his launches are super quick!"

i then took a wonder but u must have taken off earlier - what did you run 60', ET & MPH?

mine was the black r32gtr with black shadow wheels "GO21LA" no. plates

close Brett . Yeh sold the 32 a few years back . I've have a bayside blue 34 GTR now I was racing last night also .

your plates were "BE636" or something?!

i'd like to get drag radials but im thinking of getting the gtr 16" rims with good street tyres (i.e. yokohama, azenis etc).

do you think there would be much in it if i ran drag radials OR good street tyres with 16's?

at the end of the day the 16's will make a much better difference than my 18's & the radial slicks would be the icing on the cake i guess!

just worried that i'll use the slicks a few times & thats it!

with the 16's & street tyres what 60' times can i expect???

with the 16's & slicks what 60' times can i expect???

Any circuit rubber is only ever as good as every other street tyre out there when it comes to drag racing. I've tried a bunch and they're no better than $150 shit.

Drag racing has very specific requirements from tyres and feeding it in half measures is pointless. If your plan is to buy Azenis or something similar, don't buy anything and just go racing.

If you actually want to run quicker times, buy some MT's.

No point of going to the trouble of buying a set of factory 16's just for drags if you only use normal street tyres on them, you may as well keep using what you currently have and save yourself $1500.

16's + decent street tyres + decent launch expect 1.6sec 60ft.

16's + drag radials + decent launch lower is obtainable.

Last time I was at the strip it was 17x9's with badly worn (1/3rd of the tyre was slick) 255/17 nankangs and was still able to do 1.69's so maybe your suspension is too firm in the rear?

yes i have ohlins struts with i think standard shocks - i was talking to a mate who has done a lot of runs on the 1/4...he analysed my numbers came to this conclusion:

1. his xr6 turbo did a 10.89 @ 124mph (his half track time @ 1000' was 6.9sec)

2. my gtr did a 11.4 @ 127mph (my half track time @ 1000' was 7.45sec)

so i have the mph as above which means my hp will take me to a 10sec pass - however my 1/2 track time is .55 sec slower.

this is where i need to make my gains, getting to half track quicker!

even if i added more power (say 30kw) it would only give me a higher mph but not necessarily give me a much better ET time, might give a 1/10 or so (i compared a pass where i did an 11.8 v's 11.3 & there was only .05 of a sec in it from 1000' to finish line, not even 1/10 of a sec)

from this my mate thinks i would get better gains putting in a set of matching shocks/springs (i.e. factory suspension or soft teins) as my car does not squat at all when i launch, the front would be lucky to lift 1-2 inches & it tramps when it gains traction at the top of 1st gear!

so i think i'll get some stock gtr struts & try that - if i can do a 1.7sec 60' with 18's i can also fit the 16's with street tyres which should give me my 1.6sec 60'.

if all goes right & i pick up my 1/2 track speed by a conservative .3sec (i.e. 7.45sec to 7.15sec) & another 1/10sec from my 60' (i.e. 1.7 to 1.6) i will achieve my 10sec 1/4mile!

Edited by Marko R1

I only managed a 1.85 60ft in my gtr. I'd definitely reccommend some 17's or 16's with slicks/semi slicks. I am also using kuhmo ecsta tyres and they're not that grippy hey. Coilovers don't help either if you have them like I do... Lots of things you could invest in and would probably get you a high 10.