SAU Community

Drag Driveline?

czy18e

Hey guys,

I currently have a 350rwkw rb25det and want to go auto/stally/transbrake.

What box,stall limit and diff ratio can you recommend for 10's?How many gears too?

It runs a garrett to4z and hits full 22psi at 4600rpm in 4th...

thanks for the help.

If you want to do any street driving I would recommend going for a built jatco re4r03a as you still retain the overdrive but they are expensive compared to something like a C4.

The overdrive would be nice for street driving, granted, as would the bigger and stronger components of the RE403 over the Skyline 401 but like you said, they're much more expensive to build to take the power being suggested than an equivalent C4 or TH400 which are known quantities where spares are very readily available.

If it came to it you could get Mike from MV to put a JATCO together as he does some good work at reasonable prices but the standard Jap boxes are too hit and miss when you start leaning on them hard. I'd stick with something that you absolutely KNOW will do the job time after time.

cool thanks heaps...

ive heard the jatco's arent as strong???im not going anything nissan i have big plans for future and dont want to change but i still know next to nothing about auto's...

What about powerglide???

Any other choices or c4 is def the pic???

cool thanks heaps...

ive heard the jatco's arent as strong???im not going anything nissan i have big plans for future and dont want to change but i still know next to nothing about auto's...

What about powerglide???

Any other choices or c4 is def the pic???

You could quite easily adapt a Turbo 400 or Powerglide to your engine but it's all about what you want to do with it. Having a third ratio is good for cars with narrow power bands. What does your car weight and how does it make its power?

The C4 is a relatively light and small (narrow) box as well so it's a good option in a drag car where every pound counts.

it weighs about 1300kg and it is very peaky with a narrow powr band...

lag until 4000,hits hard at 4600 and revs to 8000...

how many gears does that second one have???

really sounds the goods,thanks heaps mate you really know your shit...

A built C4 is a strong box but dont under estimate the re4r03a as testing in the states indicates that these boxes will survive 1000hp and beyond.

The question is for how long, mate. Dom Rigoli had an RE401A in his 1000hp WRX for ages but how often was it pulled out and at least checked each meeting? It's a lighter car than ours too so who knows. 1000hp is one thing but in a 3300lb car it's a whole other story. C4's and Glides can hold that power in a 3500lb car all day so I know what I'd prefer.

The problem with the subaru re4r01a is that the output shaft is very small compared to say a skyline re4r01a and half the size of the re4r03a. Once they upgraded the output shaft size to powerglide spline size they had no more issues with breaking output shafts. I will be testing the limits of the re4r03a boxes soon. We have kept the shafts standard (other than heat treating) to see what weak links show up. These are larger than a v8 glide so any problems should be fixable using higher grade steel.

Its all through cv performance mate,so whoever they use...

I know some of their cars use Fred from Protrans which is where I linked you to. Call and check cos if it is, you'll be stoked.

The question is for how long, mate. Dom Rigoli had an RE401A in his 1000hp WRX for ages but how often was it pulled out and at least checked each meeting? It's a lighter car than ours too so who knows. 1000hp is one thing but in a 3300lb car it's a whole other story. C4's and Glides can hold that power in a 3500lb car all day so I know what I'd prefer.

Lost them there Smiley

• 1 month later...

probably worth a mention that with the rather large turbo you are running and depending on how

tight the converter is you will probably have to give the big girl a sniff to persuade it to come up on the brake. A small dry shot will do it, something like 50hp. Unless you want to be on the start line staaling it up while the other car crosses the finish line like most VLs you see