SAU Community

Series 2 Xanavi Climate Control To Standard Conversion

DaveB

• 8 months later...

It's a *lot* of soldering... or you can buy the conversion harness off Yahoo Jap. (ie. via import monster) and it's plug-and-play. I can at least verify that the harness works, though it's a bit of messing around to sort out illumination (there are two wires which are not part of the loom which you have to hook up separately).

• 5 months later...

Hi all :)

I have issue with unit that turns on and off and finally asking for program cd. Is there any way to keep old xanavi in place repaired or I must swap with previous cc unit??

Some ppl said there is bad connection tho I don't have time to check it

Anyway appreciate for this infos very usefully

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same or at least a very similar issue with mine, an error message fills the screen asking for program CD and wont let me do anything else, but the buttons and temp knob still work. I'm probably going to do the conversion soon, but if there's a fix i'd love that, i like the xanavi when its working haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys

I know you have discussed this here,but i am just looking for a little clarity on the subject.

I have just recieved my 1998 S2 Stagea here in Canada and it also has the xnavi thing,and of course it does not work.My unit only shows the Nissan on the screen and nothing else.The temp functions seem to work but i see nothing on the screen.

I want to ask my buyer in japan to help me get some of the required parts to retrofit this with something a little more standard.

So I think I need the standard climate control ,surround,and radio brackets,where i am a little confused is the harness or adapter harness,this is something that someone makes in japan?

I looked through 64 pages of yahoo auctions last night under stagea ,but could not find anything(there were more pages but there is a limit before i get frustrated)

Since there are

no Stageas here in Montreal Canada ,i dont have anything I can compare with,so im hoping you guys can help.

So here s thanks in advance

Paulo

Any pointers would be welcome and if you have a link to what i need to get this done,that would be wonderfull.

Hi Paulo

Personally I kept my Xanavi screen and installed an intergrated GPS into it https://www.gpscity.ca/compare/gvn53 through the AV input in the rear, that way I retained the OEM look but had local GPS & aircon functionability on the screen. however if you want to do it the other way...

This looks like the harness You need http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&p=%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A2++%E3%83%8F%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8D%E3%82%B9+%E3%82%A8%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3&oq=&n=100&auccat=0&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&mode=1

also the brackets http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g131820786

and the AC head unit: http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f132779952

there are lots of brokers out there happy to help you with the purchases (if you are happy to pay their fees)

Good luck !!

Hi Paulo

Personally I kept my Xanavi screen and installed an intergrated GPS into it https://www.gpscity.ca/compare/gvn53 through the AV input in the rear, that way I retained the OEM look but had local GPS & aircon functionability on the screen. however if you want to do it the other way...

This looks like the harness You need http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&p=%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A2++%E3%83%8F%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8D%E3%82%B9+%E3%82%A8%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3&oq=&n=100&auccat=0&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&mode=1

also the brackets http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g131820786

and the AC head unit: http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f132779952

there are lots of brokers out there happy to help you with the purchases (if you are happy to pay their fees)

Good luck !!

Great Man,that really helps.

I would love to keep the screen,I would probably do the same thing you did and integrate a GPS receiver as well,what concerns me right now is the fact that the screen does seem to have a mind of its own.Now keep in mind I recieved the car yesterday and drove it home and to work this morning,I did not have any time to play with anything.

But this morning the screen sort of split in two and I had the climate control showing on one side of it.now I will ask a really stupid question...........................

When it was on the screen ,I saw a fan "button" and temp" buttons",now the stupid question............ Is this supposed to be a touch screen,??? I tried to touch or "push" the buttons and nothing hapened,by the time I was finished reversing out of the parking lot,that screen had disappeared again,and no amount of pushing on the various buttons could make it reappear once again.I did notice that turning the temp knob does change the heating functions,so at least that works.

Some of what I have read talks about crappy solder joints, is this a common problem on these units? has anyone sort of resoldered some of the boards and this has fixed the blanking issue?

I have an aircraft instrument repair shop,so I can spend some time trying to at least have the unit stay on, I also shoved a CD in the unit,but it didnt play anything,do I have to select something or will it start to play the CD directly when it works? (it did eject the CD though)

I hate having to tear stuff out,but this is "new" to me and we didnt get to many of these here in Canada,so I have to ask where the expertise is,and thats you guys!!

Any light shedding is again very appreciated.

Thanks

Paulo

Hi Paulo

Its been 7 years since i installed mine so its pretty vauge however when I get home in around 2 - 3 weeks i can have a look at mine. what yours is doing does not sound unusual however it is touch screen. i also cant remember if the cd is autoplay.

im sure all shall be revealed in time, dont panic just yet..

Thanks a bunch

No panic yet,just want to look at any options availible.

I am going to see if i can get any luck with trying to fix the original screen,as dumb as that is ,I think it would be cool if it a tually worked

Paulo

• 5 years later...
On 11/16/2012 at 11:34 PM, DaveB said:

Thanks Brendan. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a conversion harness (Akai brand I think) from Japan, but it was your details of the actual *controller* unit which were the final pieces to the puzzle I needed. Awesome stuff by the way to wire your own conversion harness.

The controller unit is a black box squeezed in just to the left-hand side of the foot E-brake pedal (the auto stagea's equivalent of a handbrake) with respect to the driver. Unfortunately, the plugs on this unit are the same as on the xanavi panel itself, and so the harness fits at both ends. Except there are only 2 plugs on the xanavi end. So after hunting for this box, SOMEhow managing to unplug the 3 connectors and connecting them to the aftermarket harness (I now realise why it's a metre long!), we now have a working standard climate control in a xanavi car. So it turns out it is possible! Hurrah.

My Xanavi has finally died. So I have bought the parts needed and the cable from japan but I am not sure what the "controller" looks like.

My car is 1998 Series 1 WGNC34 25tX Four and I have the 2 plugs that match up with the Japanese harness but no 3rd.

I pulled apart the bottom of the dash... but before I remove the instrument cluster... would this be the "controller" I am looking for?

IMG20190730135640.thumb.jpg.c1719ed6b06eb43659896e78b5936ec8.jpg

This was below the Xanavi area right down behind the cigarette lighter. I didn't see it at first and it wan't till I pulled it out I could see the Xanavi on the side but having the word "Relay" through me. The plug is not the same.

IMG20190730135602.jpg

As far as I can feel the wires seem to just go towards the fuse box and no other unit I can see.

Antony

Edited by ant0ny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, ant0ny said:

Ok moving some bits out of the way I found it.

IMG20190804101027.jpg

IMG20190804102258.jpg

You don't happen to know where to get these harnesses for the conversion by any chance. I've tried heaps of links and there seems to only be extensions available now

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, skyline.gtt.34 said:

You don't happen to know where to get these harnesses for the conversion by any chance. I've tried heaps of links and there seems to only be extensions available now

Hey I didn't get this before now. No I just followed links from the forum then did a bit of translation etc... I did contact the guy selling and sent him my cars VIN etc to confirm before purchasing.

• 9 months later...