SAU Community

Importing . How Much Does It Cost?

scom_01

hi everyone. i am interested in importing an R33 from 94-97 non turbo but i dont know how much it will cost to import it and get it on the road in Melbounre. if anyone knows how much it would cost to get the car from japan and on the road in Australia that would be a great help. thankyou :thumbsup:

Depending on how much the purchase price is in japan (which depends on the condition of the car, mods etc), and also where its bought from it can cost between $9000 to $13,000 landed and complied ready to be registered.

Here's an example of the price breakdown:

Car cost (in Japanese YEN) ¥280,000

Agent's fee in Japan (FOB charges) ¥100,000

Exchange rate (yen to AU$) 96.00

Total car cost in Japan - $3,958

LOCAL COSTS

Import Agency fee $1,000

Shipping ($2,045 from some Japanese ports) $1,850

Import Duty (10% of FOB cost) $396

G.S.T. (10% of CIF value) $545

Cost of compliance $2,200

Total cost before registration (AU$) $9,949

So you can see a car that costs about $4000 to buy in japan will cost about $10000 all up, ready to register in australia.

Use this calculator as a guide:

http://www.j-spec.com.au/calculator.xls

• 4 years later...

I just wanted to know if there have been any significant price changes since 2008 and to update this because it's a high google result. I have been looking into importing just to gain access to a wider variety of r34's

X.rate is off but the costs not including the car look about right. J-spec website has a good calculator. Doesn't mention new tyres(required), local transport to workshop from dock.

To be honest I think it would hard to beat the price of a nice local one with rego and alarm already done, plus the bonus of no wait time.

hi mate,

I know Im new to the forum but have looked into this aswell, these guys at this site which are the same just have 2 sites -

www.fatfrogimports.com.au

www.edwardlees.com.au

these guys seem to have a really great reputation and very reasonable costs for their service (I think so personally anyways) and have a great customer service policy. thee are a couple of options in the imports one is VIP where they charge just under $1600 and take on all the responsibilities like finding the vehicle, import details like fees and all the important stuff, they even have a 100% money back guarantee if the car gets here and it isnt as described etc.

anyways, check them out cause if your looking at importing I reckon these guys could be the way to go. they import mostly nissan I think but do also other japanese makes.

jamie :)

hi mate,

I know Im new to the forum but have looked into this aswell, these guys at this site which are the same just have 2 sites -

www.fatfrogimports.com.au

www.edwardlees.com.au

these guys seem to have a really great reputation and very reasonable costs for their service (I think so personally anyways) and have a great customer service policy. thee are a couple of options in the imports one is VIP where they charge just under $1600 and take on all the responsibilities like finding the vehicle, import details like fees and all the important stuff, they even have a 100% money back guarantee if the car gets here and it isnt as described etc.

anyways, check them out cause if your looking at importing I reckon these guys could be the way to go. they import mostly nissan I think but do also other japanese makes.

jamie :)

*Cough* DODGY!!! *Cough Cough*

ahhahaha no i was referring to the post above yours :)

its an odd thing for someone to basically advertise someone like that :)

oh sorry, gotcha

It's only odd when said person actually has nothing to do with the company mentioned. The above reads like a bad attempt to advertise their own company.

I feel bad for anyone who actually gets sucked in by these guys. If anyone is considering it anyway, send me a quick PM and I will tell you a little story about an "original" series 8, Spirit R, RX7 that they had on their site about a few years back. Lets just say that when someone has 50 different excuses as to why they can't send me the auction sheet, a photo of the engine number and VIN number, insists that I fly across the country so that we can 'discuss' the car, and uses the words 'trust me' 10 times in 3 sentences, alarm bells go off in my head.

hahaha exactly, (to the second paragraph)

it is an odd hobby for someone to take up... advertising a company that they are not affiliated with.. :P

ps

iron chef / import monster for joint president 2014.

not advertising,

dont know the bloke, was just putting up some info on what I had found as I was looking into it myself. take it how you feel though.

was only going off the videosand customers on those.

sorry for the short response about this, I have only just got home from a trip. responded to the thread with no time to explain anythnig.

firstly, it wasnt intentional as an advertisement, just as I said previously I was looking into importing myself and they were one I come across and I was going on the videos of people who have imported, obviously the company wouldnt put up people that werent happy but from what I read it seemed ok as there were guarantees in that if you did import through them and werent happy there was no obligation, you would still prob get charged fees though.

honestly I was only trying to help with something I found. I havent had a chance to look up anything else on them.

if the moderators want to remove the links that were put up pleae do as I dont want the forum rules to be broken.

I realise there is always gonna be a certain stigma on car dealers and to be honest I have never bought a car from one, always a private sale. why I looked up importing was because I am after a certain model that might be hard to source in OZ. as I went looking I found this to be the case, the first one I found after ages of looking that they are far and few between. havent found one in my state yet.

anyways just thought I would give a few more details.